Trying to automate NAC 282 from NDX... And failing

Hi Mark,

The NAP250 had the reservoir caps & logo replaced + DR channels fitted.
The NAC282 had tantalum & bipolar caps, logo replaced + the mod that we are discussing was applied.

I have seen a few examples of preamps where the RC5 input socket has been wired out of phase, this will hinder the operation big time. Unfortunately, you would need to remove the cover & upload a pic for me to check this. It is possible this wiring error could have slipped through the net while the 282 was at HQ. :flushed:

Regards
Neil.

Hi Neil,

Again, many thanks for your help root causing this problem. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for detail on what was done when the units were back at base - good news that the mod was applied when the 282 was serviced. I’ll see if I can pluck up the courage to remove the cover over the weekend :cry:. Watch this space…

Mark

No problem - I’ll keep an eye out.

Regards
Neil.

You could always make you own cable and just wire up one end reverse phase
to test.

1 Like

Hi Neil,

Easier than I expected to remove the cover. A thing of beauty inside. Not being sure what you needed a pic of, attached is a selection.

Thanks, Mark

1 Like

Bingo!
Embarrassingly, the green and grey wires for the RC5 input are transposed at the PCB end - the green wire should be towards the rear of the chassis.
I think you have 3 options:

1. Return it to Naim with a slap on the wrist for an foc fix.
  2. If you have a soldering iron, switch the wires round.
  3. Make a lead as suggested above with one end transposed.

Please accept my apologies regarding this oversight.

Regards
Neil.

5 Likes

Excellent - thanks for root causing the problem Neil. I’ll give the cable option a go first (thanks HiFiFoFum) - sounds the easiest. I’m not keen on poking around inside a £5K preamp with my soldering skills :cry:, and returning to Naim has a high hassle factor (although will do that if necessary).

Neil, I really cannot thank you enough for the help and advice you’ve given, and for ultimately diagnosing the issue. I’m inferring that you work for Naim, and this really is a level of service that is above and beyond. Just brilliant.

2 Likes

No problem Mark, glad to help.

Just a shame we missed it - we’ve let ourselves down! :frowning_face:

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Brilliant, this is how it should be…great stuff Neil. @charliehenderson …keep this motivation going forward.

Delighted to report that with the transposed cable automation is now working perfectly. And I know I’ve said it a lot, but thanks again.

Cheers, Mark

Excellent news!
Glad it is working ok.
Again, please except my humblest apologies on behalf of Naim for the oversight.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.