Trying to find a solution for accessible CD cover storage

Bought a few packs of these from Amazon, as they’re big enough to hold both the CD and the paper inserts.

They’re stored in plastic storage boxes and the naff jewel cases went to the tip.

Job done.

2 Likes

2 of these for me. 1,000 in 1 and 700+ In the other. No room for booklets though and both cases are under the bed. I’d rather retrieve booklets from under the sofa when listening. I like @frenchrooster solution. Just need to know where he found those.

No. It has info from various sources, like Allmusic, such as cover art, credits and reviews, but the CD booklets must come from the streaming source. I’s surely a question of copyright. With Tidal/Qobuz, Roon offers the booklet if the streaming service has it, which is not frequent. For locally streamed music, it must be a booklet.pdf file in the album folder on the Roon Core

So then what’s the point of Roon? I must be missing something? I thought the purpose of Roon was to fetch data about the band, album, and or other pertinent info.

Just another thought. I’m actually at the other end of the cycle and now find I reach for CDs and listen to the rips I made years ago with the CD close by. This gives me the physical book to read (often for the first time!) and the physical disc to hold and reunite with. Fits in nicely with my new purchases/downloads/LP/streaming listening.

1 Like

Data about the band, album, and or other pertinent info is part of the point of Roon, but it can’t show booklets it does not have the rights to. Anyone can write a review or compile credits and Roon can get the rights to those from the rights holders like Allmusic, but CD booklet copyrights are typically held by the labels.

Nice idea but room is the issue.

20 dollars each, from Amazon. Cd storage boxes.

1 Like

Worked my way through the booklets last night. Even if I recycle all the back covers it’s going to take a lot more than 3 boxes.

Keeping the CD doesn’t necessitate keeping the case or booklet…

Absolutely not - but hardly a parallel!

And “ATB George” and I had a big argument about this 10+ years ago - about the legality of selling/donating ripped CDs. :slight_smile:

Ordered a pack to try out…due tomoz… :smile:

1 Like

It’s a bit of a shame to throw away a load of plastic, only to then buy another load. It doesn’t seem quite right.

1 Like

CD “jewel” cases are made of polystyrene and can be recycled: I have a pair of garden ledge and brace doors that I made from recycled polystyrene, apparently mainly CD cases: Rotproof, and well suited to my generally wet and often very windy location, requiring no maintenance (other than occasionally lubricate hinges and latches) - hopefully they will last many times the life of the wooden doors they replaced which still rotted despite repainting every 3 years or so, and required frequent reinforcing of joints due to wind buffeting.

(Installed 6 years ago - in need of clean/de-moss!)

1 Like

Agree, plastic should be avoided today. Enough.

:+1:

Recycled CD cases are used to make many things…great & small…saving some natural resources…

Plastic is a useful and in many modern applications an essential material. Where it should be avoided though is where it is used only briefly and then designed to be discarded; plastic used in wrapping, packaging, and various cheap and disposable products.

1 Like

Unfortunately with a pencil the plastic shavings from sharpening then risk finding their way into the environmen, so much worse tgan using wood! Plastic pen cases no such problem as they could easily be recycled again.

2 Likes

Richard, I believe FR’s post was in response to mine, about the concept of throwing jewel cases away and then buying more plastic sleeves. It just seems wrong. You can’t generally put jewel cases in the recycling so it’s either incinerated or landfilled. Huge amounts of the UK’s recycling is never actually recycled anyway, we just wash our hands of it and let other, poorer, countries deal with it. A lot ends up in the rivers and ultimately the sea, floating round in huge agglomerations like small islands.

2 Likes