Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

The only thing to do is borrow another speakers and SN3 from a dealer and try at home.
The most difficult part in audio is to find the right trio : the right amp/ speakers combo to your room.
Or you can do the complete acoustic treatment of your room first. Not a thing all want to do…

2 Likes

The detail and sheer musicality that the ND5 XS 2 extracts is really something else, regardless of how it’s or anything that it’s connected to it. I’m so over the moon I have this player as a reference point, despite my bass issues. Worth every penny.

Crash, you can add a HiCap DR or FlatCap to your XS 3. What streamer do you have? I did not see your set up in your profile.

Is a FlatCap really worth going for? What about the HiCap in comparison?

Ok, I’ve seen a really decent FlatCap on fleebay from a very well considered dealer. I’m just tempted that’s all. Hence why I ask now? Will the bass tighten, tauten and become more like a NAIT3?

I have only used the HiCap and cannot speak to the FlatCap.

A search of ‘Flatcap’ produced lots of threads including the following: https://community.naimaudio.com/t/flatcap-2-with-xs-integrated/1791

2 Likes

Ok thanks Seakayaka.

Do not get a Flatcap without trying it. Some people are underwhelmed and others love it. It’s worth comparing the XS2 / Flat with XS3. One of the big improvements in the 3 is supposedly the bass area. It’s also worth thinking speakers are the same time. The PMC twenty.21 standmount is rather fine and may be a good choice, potentially with a Supernait 2. The Minstra is of course an option so I’d hold fire. Don’t rush.

1 Like

IMO no. One of my brothers has a Nait 3. I had a Nait XS and FCXS. The two Naits are very different. Just like your Nait XS2 is very different from the NAC92/ 90 set that you once had with active Credos.

1 Like

Thank you. That sounds the best advice on me at this time. I shall visit Bristol, hopefully find conversation and hear what is there and conclude afterwards. No rush. Thanks

Thanks for sharing Chris, much appreciated.

My Grado SR325e are truly awesome from my XS2 amp. If only I could replicate this from my speakers? I would very happy if that were the case.

Not at all. I’m hoping you are going to find some speakers to go with your Nait XS2 that are going to give you back the pleasure you once had with your slimline olives and active Credos. My money is on some sealed boxes.

1 Like

Yup, my money is on sealed boxes too! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you ever get to hear some small ATCs with a Nait XS2?

It won’t give you what you are searching for. It will give a bit more opened sound, more refined, more fluent. Not the adrenaline you are looking for.

1 Like

Been following this thread for some time. Having done in store and home demos I settled on the ND5XS2 and SN3. Boxes have now arrived and I am running them in. Whilst I was pleasantly surprised with how my Neat SX2s sounded when connected to the new boxes during the home demo I did an audition at a different dealer with PMC Twenty5.23 which impressed. So the speakers arrive tomorrow and I will continue the burn in process. Also succumbed to a chord epic din-din interconnect. No more upgrades now apart from re-enabling the Qobuz subscription.

6 Likes

Thanks @seakayaker I’ve got the ND5XS2, having explored further, I don’t believe there’s any upgrades for that, bar Qobuz upgrade…

Didnt think I could do the HiCap DR, will. Look into this :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can’t upgrade the ND5XS2 with a power supply i.e (flatCap or HiCapDR). You can however upgrade the Streamer(ND5XS2) with a Powerline or Hi-Line/SuperLumina interconnect if that’s what you meant to say.

1 Like

There is no PSU upgrade option, but you can upgrade it with an external DAC, and the ND5XS2 makes a very good digital transport when used in this way.

2 Likes

Quick question if I may for those with ND5XS2. Recall some mention of box clicking (relays?) when coming out of standby. My home demo box did not do this but the delivered one does. Any tips before I contact Naim.