Turn system off during heatwave?

Yes, away from home & Storms!
Ouch! Hope it was covered!

:small_blue_diamond:TiberioMagadino,ā€¦Here we Definitely have different perceptions again.

Your perceptions differ on every single point,.from all the Linn-owners and Linn-traders I know in Sweden.
Example: Linns Solo-monoblock,.after one hour you will hear the first clearly audible improvement.

They DO NOT sound amazing after 5 minutes,.if you think that,you need to go to your ear doctor :wink::grin:.

/PederšŸ™‚

Bugger. Hope itā€™s repairable.

Very sorry to hear that.
I hope it recovers, it may after fully discharging.
Even if not, Iā€™m sure Chord will fix it for you.

I still have my original Hugo. Heard Hugo 2 and found it slightly better than my Hugo (think you found the opposite), but not enough for me to want to upgrade so Iā€™m hoping mine survives for a good while. It is a great bit of kit.

Hope to hear Hugo is back and in full working order soon.

1 Like

Hey guys, thread drift, Linn have a forum in the wigwam

No thread drift. Just input from folk with non-naim amps. I keep the NDS powered up, but switch off my Bryston amp.

1 Like

When itā€™s hot Iā€™m glad we live near the sea. There is almost invariably a decent breeze and if we are feeling reckless we can actually go in. Regarding the temperature though, hot spells for us are much cooler than in many places and Iā€™m sure Naim users in Italy for example donā€™t go music-free for the whole summer. I suspect any problems that do arise may relate to poor ventilation, especially where equipment is squeezed into a cupboard. On an open shelving setup such as Fraim things stay pretty cool.

1 Like

When I ran a pair of 135 mono amps the fans would cut in even with nothing playing. Not a problem!
My 500 lives in a converted LP record cupboard to please other members of the household. I would like it on show, but there we are. There is a gap of about 30mm above the amp and I mentioned this to Jason Gould at a dealer demo. No problem as the units are all designed to work in higher ambient temperatures than the UK. Playing music as background and no 500 fan on. If I hammer out Dire Straits then it cuts in. No need to power down.
Douglas.

Hot? Hottest itā€™s been so far this year where I live is 22C! Indoors warmer (typically up to 24 in the listening room). But in any case my amps go off every day (non-Naim). DAC has a standby mode, switched to that when not in use.

(The things that stay on in my home are fridges/freezers, network including NAS for convenience of access, whole-house ventilation system, central heating//HW combi boiler and a couple of clocks.)

I wouldnā€™t worry about the electronics unless the temperature in the listening room goes way above 30C, and even if much higher, I believe Naim power amps have thermal triggers that eithrr power them off or switch on cooling fans, depending on model, so if that is correct there should be no risk to the equipment at any temperature in which you can survive!

Hi, in my city (Turin, Italy) we reached 42/43 Ā°C during the day a couple of weeks ago and this week we expect another heatwave close to 40 Ā°C again.
I have a mixed system with NAIM as a phono stage that I never leave turned on if not in use therefore I am not really changing my habits.
Secondly, the whole audio system is connected to the mains with a separate dedicated line that I tend to switch off according to weather forecast. With such temperatures for several days it is not unlikely to have serious storms that may create issues, hence I disconnect the whole system from mains.

If I may, I would add that with 36/38 Ā°C and humidity ratio close to 80% it is really difficult to listen to musicā€¦therefore switching on or off it is not a technical topic :sweat:
Cheers
Alessandro

Is that indoors? If so that is unbearable!

Close to unbearable outside, but at least you might have a slight breeze, maybe a fountain or cooling vegetation. (And plenty of iced Aperol spritz, to wash down the gelato needed to cool you down after some delicious pizza or pastaā€¦

Seriously, though, it reaches the point where high temperatures are miserable or inhibiting at best and life threatening at worstt. Not good. But risk of damage to electronics is likely to be minimal.

Nothing works reallyā€¦ :cry:

Yes indeed it is indoor, outside it is worse and there is no breeze in the evening until at least 1/2 a.m. No sleeping these daysā€¦but we are getting OT, sorry.

So, the answer to the topicā€™s question is YESā€¦

Ditto. And as electrical storms normally follow a bout of hot weather it looks like some of us will have to switch the systems off anyway!

If you want protection from electrical storms, you should unplug; just switching off is not enough.

ā€¦ and donā€™t forget the FM, DAB & TV aerials

Probably best to remove ethernet cables from streamers as well.

ā€¦ not the ethernet cables, thatā€™s the end of the line.
I always pull the phone & broadband connections as in my case with an overhead phone line to the house, it is a potential target.

Indeed, if you gave a copper phone line, this can be hit. Certainly worth unplugging along with the other stuff, weā€™ve had a couple if direct hits, one of which caused considerable damage. I use fibre for my network cables to give some protection from this, but always try to unplug if I can.

Hi Chris, yes I agree. I might have not explained correctly. The wall sockets are wired to a safety switch derived from the main power lines. So when I turn that switch off, the hifi/av system is disconnected from the electrical lines.

I think the important thing to understand is that a lightning strike can easily jump across the relatively small gap between the contacts in a switch in the off position. The easy way to create a large enough gap is to pull the plug from the socket.