Turn Turn Turn

Inspired by last summers thread on beds, plus increasing aches and pains, we’ve invested in a nice new mattress/divan as well.

All looks good but the advice is turn weekly for a while, then seasonally i.e. 4 times a year - mainly to promote longevity I gather.

But the new mattress is pretty heavy - does anyone have any tips for turning a large mattress (other than making sure your other half is around or bringing the engine hoist inside?).

We had the same advice. Turn it maybe once a year. Lasted a decade with no issues.

Advice? Do it alone whilst your wife is present. Assuming no spinal injury (granted quite an assumption) you then get to claim exhaustion and a need to sit down and listen to music.

3 Likes

Slide it off the end so it’s partly resting on the floor. Turn it round and flip it over. Ours weighs a tonne and we’ve broken table lamps and a rather nice radio in the process.

Some mattresses are single sided, such as Which’s top rated one called Emma never needing turning, indeed inappropriate to. (Meanwhile beating others up to 4 or 5x the price, including the one that was favourite on the previous thread.)

I use a water mattress that neither need to be turned nor can be turned, and which remains exactly as supportive throughout its life (previous one about 15 years IIRC, present one so far about 12 years old).

Similar here. Quickest I’ve ever done it solo was when it landed on the boy’s Muso QB and three pretty much the full wattage at me until I could scramble the mattress back onto the bed and get the volume down.

Is ‘end of life’ accompanied by much dampness? I’m sure it can’t be so, but the thought of a first floor flood of hundreds of gallons of water is truly terrifying!

Yes definitely turn the mattress over during the year. It’s once a week for the first 4 weeks, then 4-6 times per year for the rest of it’s life. I’m turning mine every 2 months now. The higher the quality of the mattress, the more important it is, as there’s generally more settlement of the soft natural fillings.

1. Slide the mattress towards the foot end of the divan for about 3/4 of its length.
  2. Rotate the mattress in either direction through 90°.
  3. Lift the mattress onto its border on top of the divan.
  4. Gently allow the mattress to fall back onto the divan towards the head end. This has turned the mattress over.

It’s a lot easier with two people. The important part is not to let the mattress twist too much whilst on it’s side. And don’t let it slam down.

On the first occasion, turn the mattress right over from head to foot. The second time, turn the mattress over and rotate it through 180°. Repeat these steps in order for subsequent turnings. I can sketch you the four turnings if you like.

What mattress/divan did you buy?

The same as you…for the same reasons. Thanks for the tips, some of which made me laugh I must admit. I shall move the Muso before practising.

Nice one. I’ve had ours for 4 months now and it still feels wonderfully luxurious every night.

A couple more tips.

A Vispring mattress protector is pretty much 100% needed. Don’t wash it at 40c, it will shrink.

Every morning, turn the duvet over 1/2 way to let the bed aerate for a few hours.

Don’t sit on the edges.

400 count high quality sheets seem to offer the best compromise of feel, longevity and breathability. Not 800 or 1,000.

Slight leak, leading to slight dampness. A patch can be stuck on to stop it while a new one is sourced. The original bed supplier suggested that if at all worried replace at 10 years, before which failure is extremely rare. The bed is fitted with a liner so even if the the mattress split without warning, unheard of in modern mattresses, the liner would contain the water, so no risk of house flooding. The liner isn’t subject to movement etc, so has a much longer life, and normal practice is to change liner when changing mattress. A replacement mattress (with liner) is of the order of £250, depending on the degree of ‘motion’ wanted. That is purchase only: dealers will install if desired, presumably fo another £100 or so for their time. I suspect most people have it done by the dealer, but Having seen it done and reaslising it is very easy I do myself.

BTW everyone, the best chair for desk computer work is the Herman Miller Aeron (polished alloy obviously) and the best duster for delicates is Goodgrips microfibre hand duster.

Good evening.

On what basis best? Doesn’t it depend on the dimensions, weight and shape of the person, and indeed the desk?

Exactly on that basis. The chair comes in different sizes for the size of the person, everything is totally adjustable for the person and in relation to the desk height too. Brilliantly made and designed.

I once had a friend who worked there and I was used to show they could be custom shaped. Much embarrassment when three attempts failed to make something I could use.

You can custom build anything. It still doesn’t make it work for everybody.

1 Like

In one of your earlier posts you advised against fitted sheets - why was that?

It’s the advice from Vispring. They feel the constant tension from the elasticated fitted sheet causes damage to the mattress. The natural soft fillings and spring construction need a little more care to keep them at their optimum longterm. White Company make very nice 400 count sheets, which are soft and wash well. Also, Ecover non-bio washing liquid is probably the best, as it doesn’t contain bleach and obviously non-bio.

I really am boring.

Well, I did ask! Thanks though…sounds as though Vispring and Naim have similar philosophies!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.