Turntable advice - I'm almost afraid to ask

Please be aware that different manufactureres so specify different types of oils…machine oils, hypoid oils, graphite oils seem to be in my memory.

I agree with Richard I’ve got a Rega P1 with an Audio Technica VM95E cartridge which replaced the Rega Carbon it came with and it is incredibly good for £225 I paid for it. You could also buy the basic Rega MM Phono Stage and still be within your budget.

Apart from swapping carts which is straight swap and very easy to do the P1 is plug and play straight from the box.

You mean this stuff

1 Like

Another vote for keeping it all as-is… You’re going to have to spend a lot in todays money to get a significant improvement. The M95 cartridge was second only to the V15 back then. It was a very good cartridge.

I certainly do! Not cheap of course for the quantity involved but if it’s going to last 10 years then it’s no big deal.

Hope that helped,

jonathan G

Well, since this thread floated back into view, I will share what I went with.

First, a burst pipe in our master bath decided to intervene on what were the available funds for this project, so in light of all the advice above and finances, I opted for a semi-budget solution. I bought a leather TT mat and got the Audio-Technica AT-VM95ML/H cartridge with the headshell all in one.

The Marantz receiver is out having its phono stage worked on (part of the cost of all this), and then I decided to see what I could do to the Technics TT, so I super glued the sound deadening pad underlayment material that goes under laminate flooring (I have a half roll of the stuff, and never fail to find uses for it)…this in hopes of insulating the cheapo plastic plinth somewhat…being very careful not to go near anything that could be mechanically affected by it. I figured, at worst, it will be a nothing-burger.

I also put some automotive foam badging tape (3 mm thick) on the inside of the perimeter of the platter to try to deaden the bell-like qualities of the aluminum. I had thought about spraying rubberized paint to the underside of the platter, but it (A) seemed like a PITA to do, and (B) I was concerned about how much clearance there was, even though the coating would have at most been a few MM thick…although it can be removed easily enough - it peels right off.

Oh, and I did get some synthetic oil to lube the spindle. The Mitchell folks don’t ship to the USA, so I got something else. And placed an entire sheet of that underlayment pad under the TT…I had looked for some upgraded TT feet, but Technics used more of a wood screw-looking screw as opposed to a machine screw and decided to leave well enough alone.

If anyone thinks the DIY aspects are harmful, don’t be bashful & let me know; I can take it. Just awaiting the return of the receiver to try it all out.

2 Likes

How does it sound!?

Awaiting my receiver’s repair so I can listen - my guy is good and reasonably priced, but whatever he gives as a time estimate, just double it - he said 2 weeks; it’s been 3, so I figure some time next week!

Ah yes, you did say!

Be interested in the results for sure. DIY looks fine to me. FWIW that Technics looks great, hope the updates make a nice difference :slight_smile:

I also used a super fine auto compound to shine up the dust cover and remove some of the scratches. Still need to come up with a solution for the weakness of the springs that hold the dust cover open - it stays up at full open, but it is very easy to have it come slamming down rapidly.

Does it remove entirely? I just take the lid off my TT when using it

1 Like

Not much you can do about that. The main issue with the lid is that the little tabs that slot into the hinge break off. So if yours are still intact then you’re doing better than most.

Interested to hear what you think of your mods, as I put some non-hardening modelling clay into the base of mine and I do believe that it improved things. There are some other suggested mods, such as rubber O-rings on the arm. I use a Gardo Black cartridge in mine, but have heard good things about the ATs.
Certainly it is a robust turntable and if I were to change mine, It would take a lot to steer me away from another Technics.
Hope you continue to enjoy yours.

Yes, google searching revealed that to me, and there are all kinds of kits out there to address that issue. My “luck” is mainly a function of the deck having been put away since 1986 when my brother passed away.

I had considered that as well, and I would think it would be more effective than what I did, since it would certainly add more mass.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.