Turntable Arm Lift

Despairing of the many positive reviews of the Dynavector xx2 and Simplex t/t I decided to afford mine some tlc with a view to improving its fairly horrible sound, especially compared to my digital front end.

Careful listening and process of elimination suggested the right channel of the cartridge was a bit knackered. Looking at the stylus I could see it was a bit skewed and tried to pretend to myself that I hadn’t caused it when I had that wrist twitch a year or two ago and dropped it from a height onto a record. It was also bright and lacking bass. I bought it used and wonder if it was more used than I’d been told. (No more buying used cartridges). So I exchanged it for a new xx2 and just fitted it. What a difference…

Anyway, the point of this post is to recommend to anyone who wants to avoid a (£1k) bill as a result of having a nervous hands disposition and no arm lift on their t/t that it really is worth investing in an aftermarket device. I decided I had to get something to prevent a repeat performance and to remove the stress I felt every time I had to drop or lift the arm.

There are a few devices on the market but the one that worked for me was a Yamomoto. I’ve just fitted it using very strong double-sided tape - didn’t fancy tapping screws into the t/t. Took about 15 minutes of tip-toeing around to work out where it needed to sit to be able to work at beginning and end of a record and then just fit the tape, press down and go. It’s changed my vinyl life. Putting on a record is now a thing of joy rather than a worry. Flip the lever and it drops super slow and gentle into the groove. Also it means I can drop the stylus with precision onto any track and with no fear of bouncing it. Happy day.

3 Likes

I never use the arm lift on my current Ekos SE, and never did with its predecessors.
I find that when using it to lower onto an LP, the arm ALWAYS drifts outwards (I assume due to bias correction) and hence accurate placement especially when trying to select a particular track is just very frustrating.

Go back to your dealer. Its a set up issue. If your cartridge drops off the LP edge, or worse a 7" single you may well be into trouble.

Yes that doesn’t sound right. No drift here.

I used to use an Aromatic on my Aro / LP 12, then when I moved to The Tangerine Audio Stiletto I had a TP Elevator fitted. I never had a problem with the arm drifting, especially I was never happy lowering the arm by hand !

Regards,

Martin

Well, I’m taking my LP12 in for the Karousel upgrade tomorrow morning. I’ll ask Peter for his advice while I’m there.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.