Turntable choices - upgrade cartridge or LP12

The lingo 4 is good, I don’t drop that needle until the little red lights dimmed lol

1 Like

Update - I’ve been looking at the P8 the last few weeks and it looks excellent value for money and could very well be an end-game TT.

Unfortunately my local dealer no longer sells Rega so will need to look elsewhere for a demo / home demo.

I can’t justify the P10 at the moment as with the need for a MC phono stage I’d be looking at £6k.

The Rega RP8 is probably the best pick of the range for me. The RP10 sounds a little better but not a huge difference in my view. The RP8 compared to the RP6 is a giant leap forward. So, I agree very good value pound for pound compared to the quality of the sound.

In terms of RP8 Vs LP12 is a matter of listening and preference but both are excellent.

3 Likes

We all upgrade. You can either trade in and upgrade or as with the LP12 upgrade a component. I do both. Traded in my Rega Elicit R for a Musical Fidelity separates amp and upgraded my LP12 with Karousel initially and then others as funds allowed.

True, but, more importantly, Linn bring out a new bearing, £900, ker-POW! Wonderful, musically meaningful upgrade. Yes please, keep it coming Linn.

8 Likes

Another Sondek vote here.

if possible, compare the P10 to a Majik LP12 as we all vary in what we enjoy. To my ear/brain mechanism, the Linn will better communicate the music, although I do like the P10 which is very dynamic amongst other things. Try to ignore the LP12 upgrade ladder after that and just buy more vinyl.

8 Likes

Rega offer a range of turntables. That way you can trade in your existing P whatever and upgrade to the next P whatever in the range. Err… Ker-ching!

So can someone explain why LP12 upgrades are some kind of scam ?

7 Likes

Agree with KJC and Mr.Tibbs - 27 years since the last bearing upgrade is hardly milking it and no one is forced to buy one anyway

6 Likes

So long as it’s ker-POW and not ker-SPLAT it’s all good.

2 Likes

What if one man’s ker-POW is another man’s ker-SPLAT? :smiley:

Whilst a home demo of different deck options may be tricky, a comparison in a dealer’s demo room should avoid any ker-SPLATS.

The new bearing is definitely ker-POW though.

Went to see a P8 yesterday and booking in for a demo over the next few weeks.

Will need an MC phono stage which is going to add to the cost but hoping I can get a deal, although it’s a new dealer to me.

Update - this could now be a P10 as have seen a used one for sale with a 2M Black cartridge which would suit me as I’m looking to run it through my SN3.

Looping in @anon4489532 as I know you ran this setup for a while before you moved to a Rega MC. Also, would you say this is a good deal ?

That’s part of the reason I personally don’t like the LP12. I like to listen to stuff at a given level and decide which I like best. I call the LP12 the “IF” turntable - if I add this or if I add that … I prefer to restrict my upgrade choices to arm, cartridge and maybe cables.
I found the early LP12 to be quite leaden - very rhythmical but not in a precise way. It’s an impression I’ve not been able to shake off. I did hear a top spec one when the Keel first came out and quite liked it but I’m a long way down a different route now.

1 Like

Steve - that was always my thinking but I hesitate from sharing my opinion because I recognise that there are so many Linn enthusiasts on here. And, in any event it’s all good.

@LindsayM I think you’re a Roksan user like me. I think you appreciate one presentation or the other.
However, if the Keeled LP12 had been around when I bought my first Xerxes the choice may have been tougher but probably not different. In 1990 the choice was far easier.

2 Likes

@SteveO , yes indeed times have moved on. However, quite a few years back my late wife and I were at the Whittlebury Show and Peter @Cymbiosis had assembled a wonderful system of LP12 (Keel)/552/300/Titans and we spent a brilliant couple of hours just listening to great great music. One of the tracks played was the title track from the Bad Company album. When we got home I played the same on my system (which at the time wasn’t at the level I’m at now) and Margaret completely unprompted said “the hi-hat, drum kicks and bass have more kick on your system”. But whatever the turntable Paul Rodgers will always be the greatest singer that walked the planet - in my opinion :grinning:

2 Likes

FullACK.

I´d rather go for a LP12. You can buy second hand and upgrade later. A really good starting point would be a LP12 that originally was delivered with Circus, Valhalla, Ittok LV II or Ekos 1 and a corner braced plinth with the fifth mounting point near motor position. This one can easily beeing upgraded to Lingo 3 PSU and the newly launched Karousell bearing making it quite similar to actual Akurate model at lower costs.

3 Likes

Agree with that idea :+1:

I’ve not used a 2M Black on the 10. I initially used an Exact but felt that it was compromising things too much so bought the Apheta. My only slight concern with the 2M is its height - it has a Shibata stylus which can be fussy about VTA. Rega say it doesn’t matter, and I wouldn’t want to introduce a spacer between the RB3000 and the ceramic brace. That said, it’s a great way to get started with the P10 and you can always swap later.

1 Like