Turntable: does it make sense to start from scratch now?

I think only you can make that decision for yourself. Vinyl, CDs and streams all sound slightly different so this is a factor. Then there is how much musicians make from each, personally, I don’t stream because musicians get ripped off, not making as much as they do from Vinyl and CDs.
I have similar numbers of CDs to LPs and whilst I think Vinyl sounds slightly better I tend to listen to rips of my CDs for convenience most of the time. That being said, putting on an LP or 12" single is an experience I do enjoy, sitting back listening to it seems more of an occasion than using the Naim app to play something. If I was in your position I am unsure what I would do, turntables are expensive and modern vinyl is as well. Of course, there is a lot of second-hand stuff about and if you live somewhere with lots of second-hand record shops then you can get some great back catalogue stuff at a good price.

5 Likes

I’m a newcomer to streaming, it cost me maybe £1200 for a s/h UQ1 and Neat Iota speakers, plus some cabling and network hardware. This is a second system to my vinyl and CD main setup. For me that investment has paid dividends, I’ve discovered a mass of new music via streaming. Through this forum too. I just checked, I reckon I’ve added c. 50 albums to streaming collection in the last 3 months. Probably bought 2 LPs (actually 4, I double checked!)) and 5-10CDs. For me that’s a big step up in new music discovery and media ownership.

Things I particularly like I’ll buy on CD, or vinyl, sometimes on a whim, sometimes on SQ basis. I think that approach benefits artists, even if I pay ‘twice’ for some things I stream and own hardcopy media for.

Vinyl definitely is nice to own, a TT is very tactile to use, and nice to watch doing its thing.

I personally have a place for all three media types, but that means I spread my money 3 ways. Your CD based system looks pretty high end to me, what if you spent your TT money on it instead?

1 Like

:point_up_2:This. I would vote no too. I abandoned vinyl about 8 or 9 years ago, and to ensure I didn’t make a comeback, sold all the LPs and gave some to my mates.

I now just do streaming. I still have a CD player and have a modest collection of CDs but have not been listening for the past 5 or 6 years. Perhaps it is time that I do the same thing as I did with LPs.

If you are bored, find something else as a hobby, a least costly one. For starters, I started to look at high quality mechanical pencils.

3 Likes

Yeah, but they’re just a gateway drug to fountain pens :wink:

13 Likes

Yes, is SQ is imporrtant I started from scratch, again, some 5 years ago, and find TT to be significantly superior sound wise to my ND555. I have some 4,000 ripped CD’s and many Qobuz recordings added to my library. Streaming is very convenient and I love the info available within Roon, however, for my top albums I will always by the vinyl copy if available. The disappointment is that many albums between 1990 to 2010 do not have a vinyl version. You do need a good TT howeve
r.

3 Likes

@Airdavid Interesting question raised. As others have said only you can decide which choice is right for you!

From my perspective, I got back into vinyl two years ago after deciding it was time to liberate and revive my stored records, of which I retained roughly a third of the original collection, selling off / giving away two thirds when vinyl was nigh on worthless. In short, I bought a mid level turntable, a record cleaning machine and set to - it’s been great fun overall and an absolute joy playing these REKIDS, but that is probably more down to LPs which trigger an emotional connection to a time and a place. I’ve bought a lot of vinyl since, enjoying some of the special editions of new and old releases, and scouring secondhand shops and record fairs for 60s, 70s and 80s originals I didn’t have, or let go.

But, it’s not been without its frustrations and unless I had limitless funds I don’t think I would start afresh with vinyl now, for few a reasons…

• The cost of vinyl is high in comparison to CDs, especially ‘audiophile’ pressings.
  • Accommodating all those records is quite challenging, they take up a lot of space and are heavy.
  • Turntable set up can be fiddly, with potentially expensive mistakes with expensive cartridges.
  • There is a fine art to turntable / cartridge / phono stage matching.
  • Record players are physical devices and require maintenance (some less so than others obviously).
  • Vinyl playback needs a dedicated regime for record cleaning and upkeep.
  • Records are far more fragile than CDs.
  • New LP quality control seems patchy at best.
  • Surface noise is quite a shock after using CDs / streaming and can be distracting at first.
  • Buying second-hand via mail order can be a lottery in terms of the described condition and also what condition they arrive in.

Negative issues aside, NOTHING comes close to the experience of removing an LP from its inner sleeve and manually cueing up a record! :slight_smile: Of course, YMMV.

13 Likes

There’s no sense but there is a huge amount of fun to be enjoyed. If you’re looking for a new experience and drama in playing music go ahead and do it.

Tim

5 Likes

This is difficult to answer. My main source is CDs (2000+) and I got back into vinyl a few years ago (had a small collection in high school) mainly for releases I could not find on CD. I’ve built up a little collection (150 or so), but it tends to be my third source, after radio.

I do like vinyl, but the expense of new vinyl versus CD is quite expensive. So I still buy new CDs. There is fun in looking through used vinyl though.

I like it as a source, I just do not use it often enough.

-pat

1 Like

Does it make sense to start listening via vinyl from scratch? Absolutely not. Sounds like a good reason to go for it if it’s what you fancy. Life is short. Why not bring a little culture into it while you can?

1 Like

I recently got back into Vinyl after 30 years off, I have about 40 LP’s now since returning. I look at it as a luxury item I use occasionally, like when I used to own an old muscle car…only drove it on nice days on the weekend.

4 Likes

Never too late to start, is what i say.
Especially when a half decent turntable and cartridge can easily hold its own with a much more expensive digital source.
Something like a rega P8 with an apheta3 cartridge would be a great place to begin your journey, not that expensive and will easily out preform most dacs

5 Likes

Their are other “intangibles” depending on your age, physical ownership may or may not make much difference but as I grew up, each record company was still trying to outdo the other as far as the artwork on the album cover and insert. I still take pleasure from seeing that artistry, and to my eyes viewing it on a screen is no comparison. New records can still be expensive, but finding a few inexpensive sources for second-hand helps. Also still exploring new music is still a great pleasure - yes a streamer gives that access too, but it is almost too much available that way.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t start from scratch. In my opinion vinyl is just inferior to digital. It just doesn’t have the dynamics. It has a dozen technical flaws I can think of right off the top of my head.

But I just recently revived my vinyl setup. New cartridge and phono preamp. Just for the nostalgia of it and to be able to play my LP collection at a high enough quality to be able to enjoy it. Plus some stuff is so rare there is no digital version!

I’d rather sit in my chair and press things to make music come out. It’s so much easier. I wish I could press things to make food and drink come out too. I don’t want to get out of my listening chair. Man I’m getting lazy. :grin:

4 Likes

I don’t have much to add here that hasn’t already been forwarded. This question is very much in the ear of the listener and how much one wants to invest in the experience. If you go into it with an entry-level 'table, cart and phono pre, then I would discourage anyone getting into it; it just isn’t worth it. Now, if you wish to spend a bit (whatever that means to you) on some nice analog ancillaries and really wish to learn about the medium and how best to bring it to its maximum potential, then I totally think it is worth it.

I revisited vinyl, apart from when I was in middle-school back in the 80s, about fifteen years ago or so, and have gone through all sorts of iterations—from fairly low cost to uber-expensive rigs and combinations. It taught me to appreciate the experience and what it can quite literally bring to the 'table in terms of SQ and musical enjoyment. I learned to tinker, what to look for in good equipment and what makes them musically valuable in comparison to digital and even to each other. I found I started enjoying my CD setup less and less, and it was a great player/PSU/cable combo.

Fast-forward to fairly recently and I no longer own a CD player. I ripped all of my CDs and have purchased what I can afford in streaming. I am going through the same process to some extent with digital 1s and 0s and the streaming services afforded to me. I am enjoying it so much that I’ve downgraded my main vinyl rig to a pretty mid-fi but still enjoyable 'table, cart and phono. While I still listen to vinyl, it just doesn’t have the convenience of streaming, and SQ is narrowing the gap.

Through all of this, I can say without reservation that there is no way I’ll ever completely abandon vinyl. A good setup is worth its weight in gold, IMO. It is honestly quite beautiful in its collective exectution. There’s something miraculous in the way all these separate parts, delicate as they are, coming together to make something that by looking at it shouldn’t work at all.

10 Likes

Simple answer: no.

If you asked if people felt it makes sense to start ripping, downloading and streaming music now I would say yes - even if not as a matter of urgency, but when the time comes and your CD player dies, streaming from your own store has many advantages, and if you have by then ripped all, all you would need to do at that point is buy a suitable streamer. (700 CDs is not an impossible task: I ripped more than that many albums, about half CD and half vinyl - and listened to every vinyl album as I ripped it.)

1 Like

We started from scratch about 2 years ago, spurred by my wife ‘recovering’ about 15 of her Beatles’ albums from her youth. That was a good excuse to buy a tt :smiley:

I started doing some reading, and bought about 130 lp’s over the past 2 years. Mostly very clean very early pressings of the music she and I both loved in the 70’s. Did a bunch of reading on ‘best pressings’ and bought via Discogs mostly (as that’s about the only way to ensure you’re getting the exact matrix you’re looking for), although some Ebay sellers provide that level of info.

Also in that 130 are some newer very nice jazz pressings from the usual high quality sources.

I did draw a line and am not purchasing 45 rpm pressings. I don’t like changing the record that often and don’t care if those sound better. Just an easy line for me to draw!

I have to say we really enjoy the vinyl! We mix it up - use the ND555 a lot but also vinyl. They both sound great; just different.

4 Likes

I think this really depends on your access to an existing LP collection and, more than sound quality, how does the experience of spinning an LP actually make you feel?

Earlier this year I bought my first turntable. It was less about a preferred format and more about the emotional experience of spinning old discs from my childhood. The ritual and nostalgia of certain things. Now, I don’t rely solely on that inherited collection, but because my reasons for vinyl are different, I do suppliment it with affordable second hand punts from bargain bins. Clean them up. Digitize the first replay for posterity. And if I stumble on a real gem, I may buy it in a digital format.

There are few audiophile pressings in my collection.

Based on my personal experience, the OP may want to broaden how they are evaluating the decision. i.e. is there ready access to a collection? And is there an emotional appeal to the prospect of spinning discs?

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with your post however I do not have a turntable but I have bought albums. My recent acquisitions have been albums with extremely beautiful artwork. I then use the albums 2 beautify the rooms in my home. Save your money and if you must spend go for speaker upgrades

2 Likes

Really? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking at your profile, to my ears I would expect benefit from changing speakers - but of course yours could be all your ears ever want…

1 Like