Turntable lids

I didn’t realise, but £160 is with hinges.

I only know the Novus stuff, which is easy to find online (search for Novus 1-2-3).

My LP12 lid was replaced FOC on a major upgrade some years ago. it is very easy to get swirls and minor scuffs as the composition seems very soft. Treat it as if your treasured E type has just been repainted. If the plinth is in good shape then a treat for a new lid might lift your spirits. I am on my second set of hinges. Spring in one just failed.

That is acrylic for you, although I believe it may be possible to coat with a more hard-wearing film, it would likely add a lot to the cost.

Novus is very good, so is Plexus. I used to use Plexus on all my Motorcycle plastics.

A product called Polywatch gets the scratches out of vintage watch acrylic crystals, made of Hesalite aka Plexiglas.
This could be tried on the Turntable lid.

1 Like

I used this to restore a very cloudy Thorens TD160 lid. I’m very pleased with the results.

Generally I just use a damp cloth but have used car glass cleaner as it cleans and evaporates very quickly. It’s basically a common or garden window cleaner though.

For obvious scratches I’ve used Polywatch (as above). For widespread swirls an automotive polish (like Meguiars 105) has worked well. There are kits for cutting and polishing acrylic headlight glass that bring them up like new using an automotive polisher which I think would equally work on a tatty lid.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.