Turntable Quality Hierarchy Poll

I believe a subchassis change to Kore would be the correct upgrade in Linn hierarchy.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@LindsayM got it - thanks.

Thanks for all Suggestions :+1:

In Linn-world I believe that the accepted ‘wisdom’ would be to upgrade the power supply first (i.e. a Lingo 4) before the Kore sub-chassis.

1 Like

Yes, you’re correct. :grin:

1 Like

Good shout

1 Like

Thanks!

So the upgrade path is Lingo-Kore-Cartridge!?

I hope I won‘t be financially ruined in some years :wink:

Or by an alternative TT :grinning:

1 Like

:grin:

The plan is that this will be my last TT :wink:

1 Like

I have heard several combinations of very good and expensive turntables and cartridges with RB 250 or 300 arms. Oddly satisfying.

Rega arms are superb.

That would be the usual upgrade path, but I would strongly suggest that you don’t rush to upgrade from your LP12 Majik. Feed it regularly with a diet of new vinyl records, enjoy it for a good while and get to know it’s strengths and weaknesses. You might decide that it’s all the turntable you ever need!

2 Likes

Absolutely :+1: This is what I want! After changing Amplifier Last year this will be enough for the next years. It‘s all about enjoying Music.

Thanks for your words :wink:

1 Like

Better still, both together :wink:
But neither before Karousel.
Sorry

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct (allegedly, as I haven’t had the chance to hear one yet) about the Karousel.
I didn’t suggest it because, as he has already confirmed, his new LP12 Majik has the Karousel already fitted as standard.

1 Like

I think rather than hierarchy, it might be interesting to see what ratio of cost people put into deck, PSU, tonearm, and cartridge.

I kind of feel like the current hierarchy is misleading because a person can mentally put the cartridge first (I do) but still understand it’s relative role in the big picture and spend more on the deck, but spend 10x more time choosing a cartridge.

For example, I have a very low end turntable. I spent several weeks choosing it. It’s just a $700 deck and arm bundle. I put the cartridge first so then spent a few months choosing a $200 cartridge. And a few days choosing a $150 PSU.

On another thread, someone asked the same thing and I said “a high end cartridge on a lower end deck is better than a high end deck with a low end cartridge”. I was then told I was wrong. Which is perfectly okay. But reading the comments, it’s clear we are talking apples and oranges and probably not really that far apart on the topic. Someone with my view isn’t necessarily saying “yeah stick a $3K cartridge on a $1K deck”.

Yes, the Karousel is fitted in the Majik package :+1:

Something I see a lot here is the Phonostage is often regarded as an add on accessory
It’s the most important part of the amplification and should be at least at the same level as the TT and better or at least the same level as the pre
That roughly equates to £££’s
Ie a £10k TT into a £1k phono then to a 552 has an obvious weak link
I have a full blown LP12 about £24-26k to a £22k phono then 552, which has a sense of balance
I certainly wouldn’t get a Statement pre before doing a similar upgrade to the phono

Lyndon

1 Like

I completely agree on that. When I wrote it one day, a lot were disagree or even laughed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.