Turntable sound dissatisfaction

Thanks Gary. I’m assuming a standard Allen key will do the necessary. The three fixing bolts look a bit odd but I’ve not looked underneath yet.

Just looked up the Ortofon page and for the Quintet they write:

Compatibility with Rega brand TT/TA:
REGA brand cartridges’ height from stylus tip to the top cartridge mounting surface is lower than standard. Therefore you would need spacers to ensure the correct set-up of the Ortofon cartridge. Please read about cartridge set-up and alignment on tonearm on our FAQ.
Adjusting the height of your Rega tonearm is easy with Acoustic Signature’s Spacer Set. It allows you to adjust the height from 0.5 mm to 3.5 mm in precise steps of 0.5 mm - without removing the tone arm. Simply loosen the screws, insert the AS-spacer, then lock the screws back down, and you’re tonearm is ready to play.
3.2 - 4 mm spacers should be enough for Quintet cartridge.

On the equivalent technical info for the 2M they write no such thing and Rega is not mentioned. However, the Quintet page they link the FAQ on setup, and in this FAQ I find (bolded by me):

2.4.1. Compatibility with Rega brand TT/TA:
REGA brand cartridges’ height from stylus tip to the top cartridge mounting surface is lower than standard. Therefore you would need spacers to ensure the correct set-up of the Ortofon cartridge.
Adjusting the height of your Rega tonearm is easy with Acoustic Signature’s Spacer Set. It allows you to adjust the height from 0.5 mm to 3.5 mm in precise steps of 0.5 mm - without removing the tone arm. Simply loosen the screws, insert the AS-spacer, then lock the screws back down, and you’re tonearm is ready to play.
3.2 - 4 mm spacers should be enough for 2M cartridge.
2 - 3 mm spacers should be enough for Quintet cartridge.
NB: we do not recommend use spacers for aligning of either 2M Black, MC Quintet Black, MC Cadenza Series and Exclusives series cartridges on Rega tonearms. The mentioned cartridges use diamonds types, that are very sensitive for the correct VTA adjustment, which can hardly be obtained using spacers.

Hmmmmmmm

It’s a bit fiddly Nigel, but not a difficult job to add spacers. From memory i needed two… but i might be imagining that…:grinning:

Yeah I knew I read that spacer/VTA blurb somewhere before! I used a Rega supplied 2mm spacer (a completely full circle so an arm out job to fit) and it almost gets the arm parallel to the record when playing. Another spacer would probably make it perfectly parallel but is not recommended by Rega. The use of spacers goes against Rega’s engineering approach of minimising loss of information. However, the 2M Black is apparently not happy unless VTA is near perfect :grimacing:

1 Like

Hmmmmmmm indeed!

The bit you bolded is slightly contradictory. Are they saying you can’t use a 2M Black in a Rega deck because precise VTA setting can’t be made or, just don’t try adjusting it with the blunt tool of spacers.

Surely it’s better to get it ‘nearly right’ using a spacer than miles out with no spacer :thinking:

Yes unclear. Surely it says don’t try with spacers as you can’t get it right, but it is not clear on whether there are other methods. Maybe they don’t know of any but did not want to preclude someone coming up with one. Or they are just saying don’t use the Black on Rega in a clumsy way.

So yet another call to my dealer on Tuesday! But I know they are in terrible pre-christmas stress (and seems Covid generally was good for them with people sitting at home and thinking about stereo stuff) so don’t know if I will reach the turntable guy. I will post in this thread when I find out

Edit: Damn I knew in the back of my mind I should have gone with Apheta and Aria right away and get rid of these thoughts - and get the discount. Another topic for my dealer :slight_smile:

Of course the standard rule of thumb applies - if it sounds good already then it is good!

Thanks, Nigel. No arguing with your findings, and the results your dealer’s recommendation are delivering in your system. I have noted over the years that the 2M series is widely liked. I remember becoming aware of Ortofon in the 80’s and being impressed.

I hope the ensuing dialog re VTA considerations is helpful to the OP @ChinaCat in pursuit of a satisfying step up.

Nick

1 Like

ChinaCat

Using a turntable that is not good enough for the amp/speakers is obviously not a good idea.

But, from my experience the result is a fuller overblown sound, with less detail. Not as you describe, “less full and clear”

Sure but who knows. My new system is so much better than the old one that still would be in any case and I wouldn’t know if it can be even better. I definitely need to know and ask the dealer’s TT guy. Who knows, maybe he did something (like I said the arm base looks a bit higher than on some P8 online pictures and the arm angle looks fine to my old eyes) and I am sure he has an opinion - he has been setting up decks for 30 years. In any case I guess I can get the discount price and some trade-in value (just 120 hours on the Black), so wouldn’t break the bank anymore

I have a 2mm shim on my P8 with a 2m Bronze.
Sounds mighty fine

Thanks, that’s most reassuring. My spacer should arrive by the end of the week so I can give it a try. At least it’s only £19.

Sure, but that’s the thing: Ortofon saying specifically that spacers are fine for the non-Shibata styli like the Bronze, but not the Black

Your TT should have a stand of its own and not share a shelf (shudder) or a rack with other equipment.

When I see a photo of a TT and a speaker sitting on the same surface, I want to claw my eyes out. But that’s just me.

2 Likes

Ah…I see … sorry…ofcourse the the bronze is a microlinear I believe.

I remember reading once that a £800 turntable will outperform a £800 CD player in sound quality.
Didn’t believe it then and most definitely won’t these days with today’s digital technology. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Very interested to hear how you get on HH as I’ve been considering a 2mm spacer on my P6 as I’m also using a non Rega cart an Audio Technica VM750SLC.

I have a hard time favoring either the NDX2/555DR (and 8Switch) or the P8/2MBlack/Aria, and the TT part is much cheaper. They both have aspects that I prefer over the other

Silver in wires unlikely to produce ‘oomph’ in my experience.

Will do. I’ll probably forget to post on here so send me a message on Pink Fish at the weekend.

1 Like