Turntable sound dissatisfaction

Indeed!

Anyway, how does your ‘slope’ compare to mine :thinking:

1 Like

Thats a very nice looking arm, Mr.Tibbs.

1 Like

Pretty similar but a bit less, I think, but the Bronze stylus is not a Shibata so is less picky according to Ortofon

Exactly this! I think that’s why it is important—at least if you really value music like I think we all do—to own the nicest and most pleasing digital front end and assemble the best 'table, cartridge and phono combo so one likely has the greatest chance at covering the bases, so to speak.

Yes bundle Ortofon Red. Agree the stylus will improve things But I might just put the extra bucks into a new turntable. I know there’s a Clearaudio Concept available around Dubai Audio (just down the road from Doha😀)

See if you can get a meaningful home dem.

That’s the reason I chose the Bronze originally. That and a review saying it represented the musical ‘sweet spot’ in the 2M range. Whether that’s true or not is more likely down to it being a bit easier to get singing than the Black, probably.

Related to some discussions above, I use Acoustic Signature spacer for Rega . They are more recommended on forums and are easier to fit .

Yes, the things that Ortofon specifically recommends against for the Black models :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes well I might have to totally ignore that advice now given the arrival of the 2M LVB250 :wink:

1 Like

The turntable sounded fine before, you bought a new amp and now it doesn’t sound good? Possibly a poorly matched cartridge/phono preamp combination? Or a faulty phono preamp in the SN3? What amp did you have previously and can you put it back in the system to check out the sound?

1 Like

You say they recommend or not recommend?

Not. Posted it further up (link) . From their setup guide:

(…) Adjusting the height of your Rega tonearm is easy with Acoustic Signature’s Spacer Set. (…)
3.2 - 4 mm spacers should be enough for 2M cartridge.
2 - 3 mm spacers should be enough for Quintet cartridge.
NB: we do not recommend use spacers for aligning of either 2M Black, MC Quintet Black, MC Cadenza Series and Exclusives series cartridges on Rega tonearms. The mentioned cartridges use diamonds types, that are very sensitive for the correct VTA adjustment, which can hardly be obtained using spacers.

Thanks, all clear now. So Rega spacer is also not recommended with 2M black?

I wish it was all clear :slight_smile: It seems that they are saying that spacers are fine for the non-Shibata tips (e.g. 2M Bronze), but not for the Shibata tips (the Black models etc) because you can’t get VTA sufficiently precise for Shibata with spacers. But if you found a way to adjust the Rega arm with sufficient precision, then it would be fine.

This is what a large part of the recent discussion circled around, as some people have a 2M Black on Regas, me included. It was recommended by my dealer who I trust (as I was lacking an MC stage then) and whose TT guy has set up decks for 30 years. And I don’t see spacers or whatever. So naturally this raises questions. It sounds great to me and also to HH though, so the question becomes if it matters; and also for trigonometric reasons. But if it didn’t matter why would Ortofon say it did and reduce sales of Black to Rega owners??
I will call the dealer tomorrow and try to get a hold of the TT guy if christmas and pre-lockdown crazyness allows

2 Likes

It could simply be that Ortofon know full well their Shibata pointed cart’s are very fussy about VTA, and that due to manufacturing tolerances, setting the armtube parallel to the record may only be the starting point for further adjustment based on listening. Not really feasible with a Rega arm when the only available method is spacers.

Well yeah of course, this is what you’d think - and what is necessitating a call to the dealer

I’m using a spacer shim and tungsten weight with my 2MBlack, and although it does work, I’ve always had a little nagging doubt as to whether this is the best approach given Ortofon’s website info.

I think there are Rega VTA adjusters made my Michell and Original Live? Anyone tried them?

I’ve been looking at my deck and see the arm is attached with odd looking hex bolts. Do you know if Allen keys will fit, or do I need a special screwdriver? Thanks.

Looks like a Torx head, for which there are specific drivers. They are common on and in laptops, for example.

1 Like