Turntable upgrade

I will be selling my CDS3 since it cannot be repaired by Naim. I have purchased a new Cyrus CDi XR as a replacement. I may upgrade my old but pristine B&O 1800 turntable with a MMC3 cartridge. My budget is $2K US and will be mating with a Stageline into my Nac 52. Any suggestions from the forum that will provide a clear upgrade?

thanks

Stageline N? Your room and flooring may dictate if you are wall mount or rack placement as well.

Have a listen to a Rega 3 with Neo power supply. Some like the Rega MM cartridges, some go in other direction. Rega 6 for a bit more$. Another option is to go to your local shops and see what they have in used or demo tables-you might be pleasantly surprised at what can be offered for the same price. I know that is hit and miss here in the States. Good luck.

You’ve got an amazing system with the triamped NBLs, and a $2,000 budget for a turntable sounds very low. Maybe it’s just for very occasional use, in which case it’s fine of course.

1 Like

For $2,000, I’d keep an eye out for a used Rega Planar 8 and stick a budget cartridge on there.

The Well Tempered decks come up at a reasonable price now and then and are very capable. They need a bit more setting up than Rega, which may be a good thing if you want to learn but maybe not if you just want plug and play, almost.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am retired and cannot justify more than $2K. I have only 350 albums vs 1300 cds. My Nak deck is completely refurbished and I have a good tuner as well. My goal is to better the B&O with a simple plug and play replacement. I will look at dealer demos but prefer to purchase new. My arthritis precludes fiddling with small parts. My Naim dealer carries Rega, so this will be the first step.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.