Turntable Upgrade

23rd of November apparently.

Your right,would definitely wait until new release then discounted model,also in answer to another question,no I havenā€™t tried SN3 phono stage as I was advised by dealer that Rega phono was better,but really should try this before making any other decisions! Also quite a recommendation,having a few LP12ā€™s
but still using RP10 !

SN3 phono stage is for MM-style cartridge outputs. The better Rega cartridges are MC, and so youā€™ll need an appropriate phono stage (such as the Rega Aria which is good value for the money, or a Superline). If you really donā€™t want a pre-owned deck, your dealer might be ready to ā€œdealā€ on a new RP-10 given the future . . .

I would be vety unhappy with that kind of advice. I would want to hear both and make my own decision.

If I were seeking a new deck then Iā€™d choose between Linn, Michell, Technics and Rega. They all have pros and cons. I am happy to have gone with the LP12 as Iā€™ve been able to upgrade it over time (not necessarily a pro though I have seen it as one).

However, Iā€™d definitely give the onboard Naim phono stage a listen. You may find it works really well.

What about the Clearaudio Performance DC ? For much the same money as an LP12 Magik but with a very good MM cartridge ? Also not a suspended turntable , which I think is a big advantage .

Thanks TM,I understand everyone has their views,and thatā€™s what makes this forum so good,it gets you focused properly,to entertain different viewpoints ,investigate them all,and eventually end up,with your own ears, the right decision for you.Thanks to all for tips,I can assure you I will get there !

Personally, I have never been satisfied with the MC cartridge with a Naim amplification, I find that the details play before the engagement.

I have a Rega P8 with apheta 2, lovely sounding piece of kit and looks cool as well.
Easy to set up.and fuss free, just enjoy and thatā€™s what I like

1 Like

Yes, not really heard a Clearaudio myself, but definitely worth a listen.

Echoing what Dunc says above re ease of use, I reluctantly let my Michell Gyro go earlier this year in exchange for a Rega RP10 and Apheta. Getting too old to be checking the set up and bounce etc. I am delighted with the Rega and trying to restrain the urge to add an Aura! Picking up on Bartā€™s point about waiting for (presumed nomenclature) P10, two points to note. I did get a good discount from my dealer as it was coming to end of life. In addition I like the decoupled surround and dust cover, and Rega say the P10 will be skeletal only. You may have different preferences of course. Enjoy the demo, I majored on Bridge over Troubled Water and Billy Joel together with the Carmen Fanasy (Perlman). Again, your preferences may vary.

Thanks ,am away for 10 days but am off to dealer on return,RP10 is booked for audition,so many telling me the same thing,already being a Rega fan,this probably can only end one way !

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a Gyrodec at the moment and absolutely love it!

How does the Rp10 compare to the Gyro?

The dealer I had my P9/Atheta/IOS from knew Iā€™d prefer the Rega over the Gyro they also stocked as he knew i like a pacy sound with agile bass. He felt the Gyro had gentler/softer maybe sound more suited to classical. This was way back in 2010 so things may have moved on since then!

1 Like

Interesting that you would say this, as I had similar thoughts recently. I might try a low output Grado Statement (Master or Reference) some time in the future, really liked it in a friends non naim system.

I currently have an RP10 and used to own a Gyrodec many years ago. The Gyro started out as a Mk.III, then was progressively upgraded with the Gyropower PSU, then Orbe platter, then Gyropower QC, then full Orbe upgrade with Orbe motor as well. The Gyrodec (or Orbe) was very good, and excelled with recreating a classical soundstage - really great on some of the early Decca opera recordings, which put you right ā€œthereā€, but I never quite fell in love with it in the same way as I did with the Sondek and latterly with the RP10. It may be down to a speed or timing thing - I just felt that the other two were rather better there.

1 Like

Did you ever run an Aro on your Gorbe? The late Frank Abela was keen on this combination and worked with Michell to make a suitable arm board, even Frankā€™s former Sondek chauvinist colleague admitted it made the Michell decks listenable. It was these two that led me to try one on my Rock.

I still have my 30 year old gyrodec, With the gyro power supply
I also upgraded to the inverted bearing, But still use the old ac motor
Did you notice any difference when you changed the motor
to the dc one?

I was also working with JM on something suitable for the Aro. I got as far as the Correct weight blank armboard (which I might still have somewhere).

I never moved to the DC motor. I changed to an Orbe AC motor and QC supply but no further than that.

Was the QC power supply much of an improvement over the gyropower supply?