Turntable wall shelf news?

I’ve long thought that a Naim WallFraim (wall mounted Fraim shelf) would make a great product. It would would have obvious use for turntables but plenty of other Naim boxes would also benefit. For instance, Many forum members get better pre-amp performance by placing it on the top shelf of their Fraim, potentially the Wall Fraim would take pre-amp performance even higher and could help with cable dressing (specifically keeping cables off the floor). Wall Fraim might also work well for Uniti products and perhaps even special versions could be made for the Muso and Muso Qb.

3 Likes

Hi-Fi Racks Podium is a good looking shelf at a sensible price. I have had my Michell Orbe on one for 8 years. I have seen some complaints online about the joint not standing up to heavier turntables, but I have had no issues.

Heck of a heavy shelf, the Podium. Was too flexy on my wall with the LP12 on (crappy wall) so I went for the SVT (was looking to get the Isoblue, but no supply back in the lockdown restrictions…)

1 Like

Lots of talk about a product that does not exist!
The Fraim was obviously tuned to get the required sound from Naim Electronics consequently a full say Marantz system CD Amps etc. may or may not benefit.
Now this is not to say a T.T. may not benefit from a well tuned Fraim - but it is not a Box of Electronics and there are MANY T.T. suspended or not!
There are numerous T.T. supports available All Different so what T.T. are they tuned to?
Just like Naim and Fraim a specific T.T. needs to be tuned to a specific support and the differences between supports are quite a lot more than they are for electronic boxes.
This is the thing with all T.T. supports on offer - NONE are made for anything specific and as you can not test fit them it is a lucky dip. Another reason why a self build for your specific T.T. can have benefits other than cost.

2 Likes

OK but if Naim were to produce a Fraim wall shelf for a turntable they would no doubt obsess over the fine engineering details for a year or two and actually design it to work with Solstice.
You seem to be assuming that such a shelf would just be an existing Fraim shelf with a wall plate stuck on the back. I think Naim R&D would go a bit further than that.

2 Likes

I’d suggest that your penultimate sentence is incorrect, including the ‘I’m so certain I’m right that I’m going to use capital letters to make the point how certain I am’ NONE. Rega make a smaller model of their wall shelf specifically for the P8 and P10. According to Rega, it will get the best performance from these two decks. Ah, I hear you say, it can be used with two different decks, so it fails the specificity test. Ok, I reply, take the Naiad, that’s supplied with its very own wall shelf, designed only for the Naiad. Sometimes, it’s best not to appear so certain.

I use a Decent Audio shelf. Rock solid and takes the weight of my Kronos without problem. Just need some heavy duty wall fixings !

9 Likes

Indeed. It also works rather well with the LP12.

4 Likes

0.7kg of shelf…

2 Likes

That just scares me witless, more probably to do with my own DIY limitations if I had out up such a shelf.

My own Rega has been rock solid for years but it’s got an easier life that yours, respect.

1 Like

I have the single shelf version, called “Half Decent” in my bedroom system for the amps. It is very substantial and robust. No longer in production?

I prefer my Audiotech for my LP12, mainly because it looks neater as the footprint is just right.

Of course they would that is what i said!

No i am aware of Regas Platforms also Clear Audio do supports at a certain price.
If you absorbed the post you would see it was in regard to supports NOT made by makers of the T.T. How many T.T.do you think are out there?

1 Like

Nowhere in your post did you say that you were referring only to supports not made by makers of the turntable.

What you said was this:

‘This is the thing with all T.T. supports on offer - NONE are made for anything specific and as you can not test fit them it is a lucky dip.’

There is no scope for exceptions in that wording.

That’s a very helpful summary of where we are, NickofWimbledon.

I still don’t understand why Linn themselves don’t produce one specifically for the LP12 - not sure I can see Naim producing something suitable even with the advent of their recent Solstice TT.

A suggested price of £800 is steep and certainly inkeeping with Linn pricing (!) but even at that price it would sell. A lightweight, simple, unobtrusive wall bracket like the Tiger Paw Vulkan is what’s needed. Rega have done a brilliant job with their wall bracket for their excellent P8 and P10.

1 Like

Any good welders able to make shelf brackets to fit the three feet of a naim fraim shelf? Just need one level with the spike feet fitting on three mounts, then cups, balls, glass, ditch the legs, and voila…

1 Like

Clearaudio makes freestanding platforms specific to their Innovation series, and the Statement has an integrated stand that’s a part of the TT. But they don’t offer a wall bracket, and they have no stands for their other turntables (Concept, Performance, Ovation, etc).

1 Like

@CautiousLip makes a good point about the Decent Audio shelf, which should have been in my list of good but unavailable shelves.

I’d be delighted if Linn offered a wall shelf for an LP12. However, with no furniture in their range, and no advice more specific that something ‘light and rigid’ after over 40 years, it might be expecting a bit too much.

Naim is to me a more likely maker, given the Fraim’s success.

I take the points above that what suits an ultra-light and non-suspended deck (top Rega?) may not suit an by LP12, but it may well be better than what we all have to make do with now. I also suspect that the ‘light and rigid’ stuff may clash with any support that is improved with 4kg + of wooden slab.

The top Quadraspire may be an option and I am intrigued by the above picture from @frenchrooster but whether either is ideal for a medium-weight suspended deck (KP12 or Gyrodeck or Orbe or Xeroxes or TMS or SME20/30 or any Avid to take only British options) is not clear either.

How much demand would there need to be to make a new dedicated product profitable if it has the kind of fat profit margin I was picturing? And how many LP11s are there now?

2 Likes

And please excuse my typos: I am doing this from holiday on my iPhone.

2 Likes

Here a closer look. As it can support up to 40 kg, I see no problem with an Lp12. You will hardly find something more solid and well made.

1 Like