Turntables vs. Digital - what do you get for your money?

There is music talk in many Music headings…

My 2p worth

I got into all this in the mid 80’s and wasn’t convinced by cd’s, it was claimed at the time this was perfect sound, which made me curious why the CD players could sound different
That kept me with vinyl and 1989 I joined the Linn Naim club, and the 135’s I bought then only left me early last year

Throughout this time I’ve often done comparisons with high end digital, a mate of mine has gone that way

For me digital represents far more for vfm both software and the equipment, his ND 555 & 2x 555PS is just over half the cost of my LP12
And when we tried it here it really showed and both were using Music to connect to the 552 the level of detail, dynamics and involvement were a night and day difference

I still believe digital has its uses and places, it’s streets ahead in the car and personal audio in the gym
digital is all about convenience and vfm, I have always looked at it as a replacement for the cassette

The downside for vinyl would be, it’s far from plug in and play, the transportation and unpacking for one then setting up the arm and the tracking/ bias
The R on the phonostage
And obviously the space my 3,000 albums digitally would only a third fill my ext HD which is half the size of a cornflakes packet

It’s only my opinion, it’s for everyone else to do what makes them happy

Lyndon

2 Likes

I am the third, with Bluesfan and Peder, to tell you the same. As always in all vinyl threads.
Borrow a good vinyl rig, some nice sounding lps ( not cracked ones), with a good cart and phono, and give us your listening impressions.
It’s what we are doing here. Not trying to demonstrate that a digital source, based on specs, should be more accurate to a turntable. It brings nothing to the table.
Some here have Chord/ Mscaler, Nd 555 with twin ps, and still find vinyl replay more true to real life music.

1 Like

Right now, we’re def. enjoying the P10/Aphelion2/Superline more than the ND555. But not because of music vs. music, more because we’ve latched onto the vinyl “thing” at home.

4 Likes

Not me French Rooster - I stopped buying records when I got the Chord Hugo.

I remember the second day with it, I slept at 3 Am as I just couldn’t stop playing music on it, and enjoying it !

Digital requires a little care in the setup (just like a Turntable) but when it sings - I do not miss vinyl at all.

A friend I know sold his LP12 when he got his Chord Dave.

4 Likes

What I can’t understand is why do people who no longer use a turntable or have never used a turntable waste there time criticizing and finding fault with turntables. Is it that they feel the need to justify not using a turntable.

It’s like a BMW owner criticizing the service given by their local Nissan garage. Or a Chelsea supporter complaining Harry Kane doesn’t score enough goals.

4 Likes

What was your vinyl source when you got your Hugo. Tt, cart, phono ?

Well I am hoping the sound from both my sources will improve in the next couple of weeks. The reason is I have just traded in all my home theatre equipment to focus entirely on two channel. I will now be using a NAGRA MPA-RCSI Integrated amp, can’t wait to hear this combo.

9 Likes

Sooner or later this thread may (once again) morph into analog vs. digital.

Why do people think the analog signal coming out of a microphone can be bettered by converting it into 1s and 0s?

The idea is to maintain AAA ( analog recording, analog mixing, analog playback) trying to minimise as much as possible electrical noise and vibrations.

Digital has come of age but the picture of a thing is not the real thing.

Congrats! I heard a demo of the top of the line Nagra ‘stuff’ last year; it was phenomenal.

1 Like

Who has suggested it can be bettered? The question is not about that at all, but about the signal once it has gone through all the processing and processes involved with creating and replaying from a disk with a modulated groove, vs the signal once it has been digitised and then reconstructed into analogue with all the processing and processes that involves.

All I’m asking about is when people listen, what they hear and what they like. Better doesn’t mean “bettered.” But if my ND555 hasn’t “bettered” a Crosley phonograph, it’s time for issues more serious.

2 Likes

That is where I distant from the digital advocates. I just don’t believe in the Nyquist theorem. Something must be missing! That’s just my thoughts so do not bother trying to convert me. Must be too old. :drooling_face:

I don’t think anyone is trying to convert anyone else!

And I think you are the first to quote Nyquist, which is completely irrelevant unless you stick with the 44.1KHz sampling frequency of CD, which I am not sure many people who prefer digital have limited themselves to. Most digital recordings are made well above the Nyquist frequency.

I like the illusion of being there when listening to a good vinyl.

Digital is coming close so I don’t care much anymore especially because music streaming is so convenient and cheap compared to buying and maintaining records.

Digital have marred my habits just like an accuracy freak give in to a quartz watch.

Doesn’t matter. Still a picture of an analog signal from a microphone.

Yes indeed - and vinyl is still a picture of the analogue signal in the form of a modulated groove in a piece of plastic. Neither defines which sounds better when the analogue signal is reconstructed as an analogue modulated stream of electrons entering an amplifier to be reconverted into sound pressure by the speaker… (and neither tells you what you get for your money!)

…still, still, still a continuing barrage of explanations as to why digital is better. This is not compatible with the observation that many people prefer vinyl. It is the observation which needs explaining, not the explanation determining the outcome. This is a very simple concept in scientific reasoning. If the explanation is incompatible with the observation, it is the explanation which is insufficient.

3 Likes

La class !

1 Like

It’s impressive to see around 40 k of Chord cables in your system.
More I think, more I feel the Chord Sarum t power cable will be my next purchase.
Or Rega P 10 instead of the Rp10 I have…
Difficult choice.
As I listen 75% of time to digital, it’s the reason of my doubt.
The Sarum t on my pre or 555 dr is very tempting.