Turntables, where to start?

The goal of this thread is the interest of the OP in a purchase of a good sounding turntable system without breaking the bank. And the pleasure of other members to share their interest in the analog sound and give their personal advice on a good but not too costly turntable.
Not to point that digital sounds better and that buying a turntable is a wrong idea.

2 Likes

Your first expression is your opinion, which you are entitled to even though not expressed in a very pleasant way, the second is incorrect:

• It is a fact that vinyl has limited dynamic range and unless the music has a limited dynamic range it has to be compressed, especially when combined with a full frequency range. It does not have to be with digital.
  • It is also a fact that vinyl contributes noise from playing, with a higher resultant nouse floor than inherent with digital - and in most real-life playing there are also clicks and pops arising from dust or imperfections, and potentially from wear or damage.
  • It is also a fact that vinyl has RIAA pre-emphasis and subsequent de-emphasis applied: there need be none with digital - this is said by some to cause audible artefacts, although that is something I cannot say I have specifically detected.

If you take my previously mentioned example of a digital recording made into a vinyl disk, all these imperfections inevitably are added to whatever may be imperfect with the digital, making the vinyl less close to the original music. With pure analogue vs digital of course you are comparing one set of imperfections with another, which is a different matter and then a matter purely to do with preference. - while as I stated in my earlier post some people simply have a preference for the vinyl sound, even with (or maybe because of )its limitations, and that is perfectly fine.

In my view it is reasonable to draw the limitations to attention of someone thinking of embarking in this direction, after which of course they can listen and make up their own minds about preference. And if they donā€™t like my contribution they can ignore it.

2 Likes

Your theory on vinyl limitations is completely personal. A lot donā€™t share it . Some members have very advanced digital rigs as Nd555/ 2 555dr/ top Melco, DCS sources, ā€¦but still find that their turntable system give a more real sound.
And why banging always your same ideas on the analog sound? In every analog threads? Itā€™s absolutely not positive and waste the pleasure of the threads,

1 Like

As I intimated, people may/will like what they do, and some share my view, others donā€™t - and there is nothing wrong whatever anyoneā€™s preference. I have explained my reason for posting: whether you think it is reasonable or not is immaterial.

I have concluded that you and I are very alike in some ways, but diametrically opposed in relation to hifi preference. Maybe it is to do with musical taste, where it is clear yours is heavily into music I canā€™t stand, and I know you donā€™t appreciate my key taste - and the way the hifi system plays the recording may be significant in that, my preference being for a neutral but full range reproduction of what was recorded.

However, this exchange is achieving nothing, and I am sure it is not appreciated by other members. I will therefore leave it at that and let others make up their own minds.

Bon soir.

Iā€™ve owned the Rega P5. Itā€™s a rather nice sounding deck but a bit lightweight in the bass. The Rega PLanar 6 or 8 seem to be a good choice.

If you are curious, just get into vinyl and try it out but do not spend so much money. It will also depend on how much music you can get on vinyl and how many records you will eventually own. FWIW I ventured into vinyl about 10 or 11 years ago but ended up selling the whole thing as I find vinyl too much of a hassle and most music that I enjoy listening to are not available on vinyl.

1 Like

Thank you Ryder thank you for your comment. I do enjoy the pleasure of inserting a CD into the CD player. Sitting back in the lounge and once settled pressing play on the remote. I receive a similar pleasure when placing the LP on the floating turntable and watch the record rotate and the needle slowly track across the record. I use the line output of the record player to the line input on the amplifier.

When questioning my dealer about a turntable and that he had out laid $25,000 AUD on a record player system. I was some what taken a back. Is this how much one has to outlay to play LPā€™s?

This forum has been good to allow myself to make an informed decision that enjoying vinyl is affordable, though I could purchase a lot of CDs for the outlay of a vinyl system. In the end it is all about the pleasure of listening to music, relaxing and unwinding.

No where are my Wagner CDs :upside_down_face:

I think I may replace my loud speakers first and then as one forum member said, ā€œHead down the rabbit hole of vinyl musicā€. Or something similar to that.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. They have not gone unnoticed and are valued.

I wish there was a better way of closing off a post. As in astronomy we wish everyone ā€œDark Skiesā€ and when fishing ā€œTight linesā€. Though for HIFI music reproduction I know of no such ending. Maybe, ā€œmay your music be jitter freeā€ :smiley:

Warm regards,

Paul.

I still do, I still find my LP 12 as enjoyable and ā€˜analogueā€™ as ever.

@Gigantor, I suggest that you take a look at the Linn LP 12. For me the LP 12 is more than just a playback device, it is a life-long passion.

And of course, you would need a reasonable collection of good quality LPs to justify it.

5 Likes

Including phonostage and accessories my turntable setup is about $24k retail, but I assure you that you donā€™t need to get even close to that to get satisfying analog playback. A Rega P3 with decent cartridge and phonostage can get you a nice start at a fraction of what I have spent. Maybe consider spending a bit more for a Clearaudio Concept with MC cartridge (I have Clearaudio, thus the recommendation).

Iā€™ve been collecting and playing records for some 45+ years, so the expensive setup I have is the culmination of many years investing and making it a priority. I have about 4000 LPs, and the collection dates back to about 1970 when I started acquiring records. That should put some perspective on why I invested so largely in an analog front end.

2 Likes

Itā€™s interesting that some people find it difficult to accept othersā€™ preferences on the basis that it is not in accord with their own. Worse still, sometimes they attempt to rationalise why someone might be incorrect to hold a particular preference! The empirical truth is that some people prefer analogueā€¦it is ludicrous to attempt to explain to them why they are in error to do so. This particular debate has gone on for ever! If the original poster wants to try vinylā€¦then they shouldā€¦not have it implied to them that they would be making a mistake to do so. I live with both analogue and digitalā€¦I prefer vinyl but both can be amazingly good.

7 Likes

I have no idea if your post was aimed at me - if not then please ignore this, but if so I must take issue with your inferences, and suggest you refer back and note that there was nothing in my posts to suggest that I donā€™t accept othersā€™ different choices, which I certainly do, nor that liking analogue is incorrect, indeed having been at pains to clarify that it is a matter of taste. Also note that my explanations were pointing out factual differences not reasons why anyone should decide in a particular way, and I believe I was clear in indicating that I was simply offering a view to the OP that it is not a certainty that he will find vinyl beneficial - it is right that he should go in with his eyes open, and not be led to spend a lot of money in an untested belief that he will find it better because others are encouraging him: it is indeed his decision, and I wish him the very best with it if he does at some point go that route.

My remarks were actually a general reflection on the now longstanding and tedious debate over digital v analogue. My specific point is related to rational thinking: if someone prefers analogue, then this is the observed evidence which cannot be changed by rationalizing that it should not be the case. While I did not have any intention to cause offence, at the same time I do feel that I should be able to make my thoughts on the subject clear.

No offence taken - and we are unanimous on tge last point! :grinning:

Oh, suddenly I want one. That is very cute.

1 Like

Indeed, at the Bristol hifi show yesterday, Rega were showing their RP1 entry level turntable in an all Rega turntable/amp/speakers system at under Ā£1,000 for the whole system, and it was very engaging. An RP3 or even an RP1 will sound very enjoyable.

4 Likes

Turntables must be the No1 slippery slope when it comes to high end audio. It starts with a P1/P3/P whatever and then you need a different cartridge, then the installed pre-amp is no good. Then the new pre-amp needs a better power supplyā€¦

Best upgrade to my turntable has been going from SN2 to 272/250DR :grin::+1:

Put you gloves, struggle with inner sleeve to get the LP out, wash the LP, carefully, take it and put it on very carefully, take your seat, 30m later get up and changeā€¦

Struggle with inner sleeve to put the LP back inā€¦ put your LP in its placeā€¦

Turntable, cartridge, LP washer, phono stage, interconnects, gloves, brush, washing liquidā€¦

Just donā€™t man:) it is not for everyone for sure

Also in order to get a nice warm analog sound pay 100$ for specially mastered LPsā€¦

Still want one after I sold my Nth turntable in last 20 year, can not live with or without it!

1 Like

Like all hi fi ,turntables do not have to be slippery slope. I have had my Linn axis for 30 years. I paid Ā£150 for new cartridge last year but only because new stylus no longer available. Get the best you can afford or justify then just enjoy the music. Itā€™s all about the music. I learned back in the 70s that constant changing and upgrading spoiled the music.

2 Likes

Re vinyl/digital. Reminds me of a hiking trip in Norway a few years ago. Met an old Norwegian who ran a service dropping off hikers to various hikes, which allowed hikers to hike back to their car. I asked which route was the best.

He laughed and said ā€œthere is no bestā€. I immediately wondered how many times he had been asked that silly question.

Depends on your budget really. Practically anything from Rega, Clearaudio, Pro-ject, SME would be pretty good. I just picked on those as they have a range of tables at different price levels.

If you listen to music recorded pre-80s, the record player will generally sound better than the CD. For more recent, it depends on the recording. I donā€™t necessarily agree with the argument that if itā€™s a digital recording, it will sound worse on vinyl. Maybe I like whatever vinyl brings to the table (excuse the pun) but as examples, Donald Fagenā€™s Morph the Cat or for example The Nightfly sound better on LP. Most of Patricia Barberā€™s recording do so as well.

1 Like