TV into Nova

Well mine is LG so it’s not just Samsung.

It does seem that HDMI and HDCP compatibility has always been a moving target, and as soon as there are any firmware changes on TV sets then all bets are off. IIRC Naim have at least one ex Samsung engineer in R&D, so if you are having issues, please let Naim know, giving as much detail of supporting kit as possible.

I have a lightening (Apple iPhone) AV adapter, which mirrors my iPhone screen to my TV. If I plug the HDMI into the Nova will that play Apple music? (Maybe this is better asked in the Apple Music thread but…)

Does it have ARC?

I really don’t know…guess not? Is there a difference in appearance?

If your TV has ARC on one or more of the HDMIs then I would guess you’ll get any sound from the TV routed to the Nova.

It’s not a smart TV, I’m connected to the Nova via analog cables.

Oh OK, that should work too. Sorry, thought you were wanting to use HDMI.

Is plugging the iPhone directly into the Nova with an HDMI (HDMI ARC?) Nova possible?

No, that likely won’t work - the HDMI in the Nova is ARC only.

I’m using my Nova with a Samsung TV via HMDI Arc.
In January I upgraded my TV to a Q10 Samsung and found HDMI ARC wouldn’t work so I had to revert to an optical connection for it to work. However after upgrading the firmware on the Nova I decided to check HDMI again and it worked!. I do notice that when I connect, the TV sound goes off for several seconds before the sound starts through the Nova. I have also had to adjust the input trim on the app to increase the volume.

Yeah, I struggled a lot with my LG until giving up on both ARC and optical from the TV and rearranging the entire setup so I could get audio from all the various sources directly into my Linn DSM.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was just Samsung

I was just adding information. Don’t take it personally.

:+1: The main problem seems to be poor standardization of HDMI ARC which leaves everyone guessing. Seems to affect all the TV and amp manufacturers even if they don’t introduce outright bugs, and it’s a sad state of affairs.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.