TV + Unity HDMI. Which tv’s work properly?

Hi all, as the thread title suggests I’d like to know which tv’s work flawlessly with the unity’s via hdmi arc. I have a Nova and we are getting a new oled tv. Its common knowledge that the unit’s have some pretty unreliable hdmi connectivity but maybe there is a particular brand that works well? I’m still considering just sticking with optical but it would be interesting to know how widespread the issues are.

If you’d be so kind as to post which Uniti and which model tv you have, and if it works ok. I’d be very greatful.

I currently have an LG55NANOCELL and that doesn’t work at all via hdmi.

If you want flawlessly, you really need an optical output connected to the Nova and select PCM as your sound setting on the TV. As you have read, HDMI can be unreliable for whatever reasons.

There must be some brands that it works well with, surely?
Like I say, it’s not essential but it would be nice to have the option.

You would hope so. But there have been comments about even changes to Firmware on either the TV or the Nova affecting the reliability of HDMI. I’m not an expert, and use optical for both the Nova and the NDX2 from Panasonic TVs.

1 Like

Yeah well that happened to me. It’s probably my whinging about it that you remember. Mine did work really well until after a software update. Not sure which unit it was.

1 Like

I have found HDMI to be a bit of a minefield on most devices, even at the best of times, especially when firmwares are updated. Thank the requirement for incredibly complex copy-protection handshaking for that. If you have issues with a particular screen then you should contact Naim support and let them know.

1 Like

I have a Star and an LG C9. For 2.5 years, through all firmware updates on both sides, my HDMI has been working without any real issue. Had to do a restart once or twice to get things working again but for the rest it has been smooth sailing. Must just have been a match made in heaven between the hardware and software for some reason.

That said I am running optical from the same TV to my Atom HE and that has been totally issue free and you get a faster reaction time when starting things up. Only thing is, of course you lose the ability to control the Star via the TV remote.

1 Like

I have a Panasonic oled and it has been running fine with the Nova and before that the Muso since 2019. I would not hesitate to recomend Panasonic for their implementation of the HDMI integration. It has been very bug free.
I am part of the Beta group and I have only found one issue it was sorted out.

2 Likes

I find my 10-year-old Panasonic TV works fine with HDMI into my Star. That being said I know of others who have a different experience. What I have noticed though is that SQ via the HDMI from the TV is much superior to the SQ from the optical output on my Freesat Box. Whereas the SQ from the optical output on the TV I would say is slightly better than HDMI or was prior to my move whilst using a Virgin box. Once I get around to it I will be buying a longer fibre optic cable to see if this is still the case.

1 Like

I use the HDMI from my Sony TV to my Nova and it works ‘most’ of the time. By that I mean around 98% of the time which is plenty good enough for me. Any issues are usually sorted by an IT fix i.e. turn the tv off and on again.

1 Like

I use HDMI from my Sony TV to the Uniti Atom without any problems. The Sony (Bravia 46HX92x) is about 10 years old. So far, no problems have occurred with any Naim firmware update. The sound quality is good, spatial, clear and lip-sync. A good HDMI cable helps additionally (I use Audioquest Cinnamon). The volume can be controlled via the TV remote. I regret that the Atom Headphone Edition no longer has an HDMI port.

1 Like

Just thought I’d update this post for completeness. I ended up taking a gamble and purchasing the 2022, LGC2 65” OLED.

It works perfectly via HDMI. TV volume control, auto switching on/off.

2 Likes

I’ve got an LG G Series OLED and an Atom and can’t say I’ve had any issues with that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.