Two HiCaps w/ NAC82?

Hi all,

From your experience, what will I gain with adding another Hicap to my system?

Hicap-NAC82-NAP200 today

Front end is Linn Majik DS streamer and a Pro-Ject deck.

Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers, NACA5 cables

Cheers

-Thomas

Hi,first of all it’s very important that both Hicaps are of the same age and service history’s as it is one Hicap per channel.
You will get better separation,bigger and bolder sound.
I have tried this many times but I have always found one Supercap to be superior, I would save up for a Supercap instead, then you have an really spectacular preamp.

3 Likes

This question has been asked many times…….

1 x HC → 2 x HC gives a significant uplift in SQ (increases the number of secondary supplies from 2 to 4). Also agree with Igel that they should be of similar vintage.

2 x HC → SC gives a modest uplift at best (no further increase in secondary supplies). However if you have aspirations towards a 52……

Other opinions are available.

FWIW, I run my 82 from an SC. Make of that what you will.

3 Likes

I power my 282 with two Hi-Cap DR power supplies. My 282 was built in 2008, and the second Hi-Cap DR brought a three dimensional soundstage, more detail and more presence - without being forward.

I am happy with the way my system sounds, so (for the time being) I have decided not to re-cap the 282.

2 Likes

I used a single HC, a non Naim dual PSU, 2 Hicaps and a Supercap on an 82 and my experience was different best of the three and by quite a way was the Supercap.

The non Naim PSU came between the single HC and dual HC but I didn’t find a huge uplift between the three but the Supercap supercharged the 82 just to confuse matters the first SC I had a converted 52 PSU supercharged things a bit much the second was just right.

82/SC/250 is one of Naim’s finest moments and on the used market a relative bargain in Naim, bang for buck terms.

4 Likes

I use two HC with my 282. They were bought separately and used, but both of a similar age and serviced within a year of each other.

Using two adds some punch and detail to the sound.

Previously, was using a SC, but now using that on the SNAXO. This used to have a FC, but changed following some advice on this forum.

I didn’t find too much difference changing to the two HCs. Maybe as I changed all at the same time.

I was also told that the HC was designed for the 282, whereas, the SC was designed for the 252. Does make sense to me as the SC does have the Burndy socket.

Anyway, very happy with the current set up and enjoying the Jazz.

DG…

2 Likes

I completely agree Bob, I was on my way to a 2nd Hicap and a supercap came up with a good PX. Utterly sublime.

2 Likes

When I tried this I found that a second Hicap made only a minuscule difference. For the same money you could move from 200 to an Olive 250. That really would be an upgrade.

4 Likes

Strongly recommend you do a Search of this Forum.

This exact question has been asked many times - and has been the cause of a huge amount of debate.

PS. Do service everything first. If you do decided to go to 2 HiCaps, you should aim to match them, in age & servicing as much as you can.

3 Likes

I will also declare a vested interest in this ‘game’, being the happy owner of a NAC82, from 2001, running from 2 HiCaps.

One HiCap is from 1986, CB rebuilt as Olive, the other from 1990, Olive. My 1st Hicap has the H&F Transformer. My 2nd HiCap was picked by Serial No and age, to have nominally the same H&F transformer (on the recommendation of @Richard.Dane).

All are fully serviced.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I am aware that the PSU game is a popular one on the forum. I did try to search for a similar topic, but couldn’t find one that answered my question properly. Sorry for that. BUT: Thanks for your replys! :slight_smile:

I think the price difference between the addiotional HC and a SC is too big. I will be on the search for a HC from approximately the same year as mine.

Cheers

-Thomas

The price difference is there for a reason :wink: Just beware two mismatched Hicaps is worse than one Hicap,in my opinion.

1 Like

When I first got my 2nd (native Olive) HiCap, it had not been serviced (ever - since … 1990 - I bought it pre-loved in 2012). The results running with my serviced 1986 HiCap were maybe a bit odd…? OK, but didnt seem quite right. It was serviced soon after that, and the servicing of the both HiCaps has been brought better into line (they are now only 1 year apart)

So, my ‘happy’ results are for 2 quite similar HiCaps, both serviced.

2 Likes

The threads are there, but come with a range of opinions - all of which are valid, generally.

2 Likes

I guess so, but that also has to do with me having one HC already I guess :wink: Apart from that I really don’t have any reason to say that the price gap is too substantial; I haven’t heard either 2 x HC or a SC on my system.

Your dealer could help you here. Obviously… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

In my humble opinion. A second Hicap gives extra energy with accentuated channel separation, and extra relief. Some will appreciate this more muscular, arguably more hifi presentation. The switch to Supercap presents the music more naturally and logically superior. The 24v that comes out of Scap is “cleaner” than Hicap’s 24v, thanks to the space and box dimensions Scap improves the regulations either with 317K or DR regulations, as well as the central 0v ground suffering less electromagnetic pollution generated by the transformer and the more distant rectifier bridges. Better internal breathing, compared to the concentration in Hicap.

3 Likes

I have Focus 260’s as well as 160’s. I went from 1 to 2 HiCapDR’s and then to SupercapDR. One song with the Supercap and the HiCaps were for sale. Going from 1 HiCap to 2 is a linear progression while the Supercap has different character IME.

4 Likes

Thanks!

What do you think of the 260 compared to the 160?

The F260’s offer more of the same with a better balance, larger sound and the ability to go lower in the bass without bottoming out. Also, I found them a little easier to drive. I loved the F160’s so much I went for the full 5.0 set and moved the 160’s to surround duty. I will add that I wasn’t satisfied with what I was hearing from them in terms of Naim until I added the 300DR. Even the relatively easy to drive Focus series likes a lot of current!

1 Like