Two PSUs. Unplug and wait 10 mins

I always turn my ND5-XS off when I’m not using it, since most of my listening is to vinyl.

Lately it has happened twice that when I turn it on, I get the message “Two PSUs. Unplug and wait 10 mins.” The first time I waited as instructed and it came back on. Now it’s happened a second time and I couldn’t get it to come on. I just get that same message. I tried again, waiting 20 mins, and it finally worked.

What is going on? Any suggestions to prevent this. I have had this for years and never had issues before.

This message normally comes when someone has both the mains supply to the ND5 XS and also an external power unit like XP5 XS or XPS. Assuming you don’t have a separate power supply to the one built into the ND5 XS, I suspect this is a bad connection on the link plug in the back of the unit. If you turn off the power and turn the volume right down on your preamp, then you could unplug and replug the link plug on the back of the ND5 XS. It’s a black tubular affair at the opposite end of the unit to the mains power lead.

Then turn it on again and hope. If you still get the message, your unit may be asking for a vacation in Salisbury.
Best

David

Thanks. I do not have an external PSU.

That is one of the things I did; i.e. refit the link plug. Not sure why I am getting this problem now. I’ve been using this for years and never had an issue until recently. Today was second time this week.

Sounds like a fault then. You could call Naim Tech Support and see what they think. Or your dealer of course.
Best
David

I sent an email to my dealer. I’m in the U.S. so I have to deal with the North American service center. Ugh, I am not happy with them.

You could see whether @Manu has any suggestions.

Best
David

1 Like

David pointed to the right direction IMO.

Plug and unplug this link plug a few time. Check if all pins have the same length and are secured ( they do not get into the body when you push them). If all ok, it has to come to us, I am afraid…

And why this comment about our Service Center, any issue with us?

Thank you. I will double check.

Yeah, I’m upset with Audio Plus because I spent $3500+ to get my 282/NAPSC/HC/250 serviced and upgraded to DR last August, and I still cannot get any paperwork for it. My dealer has also asked for it, and gotten nothing. All I got was an invoice from my dealer noting it was serviced (with no detail), but nothing from the service center. There was nothing in the boxes…zilch, nada. Apparently, everyone else gets the paperwork in the UK, and those who use Chris West in the U.S.

Now if I want to upgrade and sell my equipment secondhand, I have no documentation or proof of any work that was done. That will cost me quite a lot of money in diminished value on the S/H market. I wouldn’t want to buy an older 282, etc with claims that it’s had service, but nothing to back that up. I’m rather angry about that. Naim needs to understand that a healthy secondhand market helps drive a healthy retail market. This is not helping.

for your reference, the dealer is Music For Pleasure.

LOL…I just asked my dealer this morning to check again. I finally got the paperwork 5 mins ago. Thanks.

I still don’t understand why I couldn’t get it the first time we asked for it.

I just checked the link plug. It seems fine. All pins same length and secure in their position. Turning it back on it worked fine. The problem is always when the unit is dead cold after being off overnight.

Well I think you are making progress! Why are you turning it off overnight? Naim kit is designed to be left switched on 24/7.
Best
David

Glad you got the paperwork, but they are normally sent with the units.
And if not, the dealer can download them from our Intranet…

Talk to your dealer about your current issue. Bring the unit to the store, they can test it before sending it to us…
Or keep it on all the time…

1 Like

Almost all my serious listening is with the analog front end. I use the ND5-XS to play internet radio and TIDAL while I work in my home office down the hall. I don’t use it that often for critical listening, although I am thinking about upgrading and spending more time playing my high-res digital library. It’s one less potential source of noise, etc while I’m playing my turntable.

Nevertheless I suggest you leave it switched on all the time. It will sound better and you may avoid the need for a service.
Best

David

My dealer made an inquiry about it. They have never seen that particular issue, but I sent them a picture of the error message and description. I’m hoping to get a ballpark estimate for repair.

Keeping it on all the time isn’t a real option, living in denial there’s a fault. Not to mention, it’s a blocker for an upgrade. I’m thinking about getting a ND5-XS2, but have to resolve this first so I can sell it.

Are you suggesting that if I leave it on all the time, the problem will fix itself?

OK I understand your logic. But anyway you should really keep Naim kit on all the time. I have a SuperUniti and a NAT05 XS in my office and they never get turned off.

Best

David

I understand about keeping the Naim kit on all the time, and why. I leave my 282/HCDR/250DR on all the time. Nevertheless, if leaving it off, and only turning it for the few days of the week I play causes my service issue maybe Naim digital isn’t for me. My dealer offers alternatives.

No, Naim is for you! This issue will be sorted soon. There shouldn’t be reliability issues caused by turning it on and off, although electronics in general prefers to be left on as it causes less stress to power components.
Best
David

Maybe I’ll just leave it on, but I have to get it repaired in any case. I’m thinking about trying to get a demo in of the NDX2 and see if I want to save/spend an extra $4k for such a beast, or just get the XS2. I don’t expect I’ll lift the digital up to my analog levels, but if it’s close enough I might start listening to it more. There is a lot of classical I like that’s only digital.