Two turntables

I’ve got four! 2x LP12, a SL1210Mk2 and a Planar 3

The Rega lives in the static caravan, the Technics is reserved for the lager & smoke-stained 12” singles, haven’t quite got an excuse for the Linn decks…

2 Likes

I have two turntables. Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck for vinyl and a Rega RP78 for 78s. The phono stage for the RP78 can handle many different equalisation curves, a must for playing 78s well in my opinion.

If two turntables does not appeal then some of the benefits can be had from fitting two arms to the same deck (assuming your turntable can accommodate this). Different arm/cartridge combinations can be used for stereo/mono, vinyl/78s or even just to enjoy the different characters of different arm cartridge combinations (unipivot vs conventional bearings or a Koetsu MC vs a moving iron cartridge).

LP12 in the home office, P8 in the living room. Both sound great, each in their own way. On balance I prefer the looks of the LP12 (or similar type of turntable) but in terms of VFM the Rega is the winner, by quite some margin.

6 Likes

Garn’, you’ll be wanting me to sell up my spare systems next and upgrade to one Statement system.

Oh, hang on a minute. :grinning:

Have far too many turntables. Why, too lazy to sell on the ones I do not use and like to restore some of the older ones. Current inventory is:

1. Naim Solstice SE (in main system)
  2. Linn LP12 (in main system)
  3. Oracle Delphi II (office system)
  4. Ellipson Carbon (for doing transfers of old albums to digital for convenience)
  5. Project Debut Carbon
  6. Linn Axis (rebuilding power supply)
  7. Linn Basic (finished rebuilding)
  8. Pioneer PL-112D (restored, my parents first non-HiFi console based turntable; still going strong after nearly 50 years)

I really should move some of these turntables. House is becoming too much of an audio museum in some respects :grin: :grin:

4 Likes

That LP12 looks really nice.

I thought I’d give mono a try once I had a surplus deck and I have loads of discs and I combined the mono experiment with trying a Decca.
Comparison with my main deck and its SPU Royal N on original mono discs usually came out in favour of the mono Decca, but not always.

I have three turntables:
Bauer DPS 3, Schröder CB2, Lyra Atlas SL
Linn LP12 Klimax, Keel, Aro, Kandid
Rega P9, RB1000, Apheta 2

While one could make the argument that spending everything on a single turntable would be more efficient I am not sure how I would improve on each of the above turntables - each is wonderful on their own.

Having a second TT for comparison has made me more able to hear differences in table, tonearm and cartridges and helped me develop my own taste for what I like or don’t like. I also record the tables to digital which makes for some interesting comparisons!

14 Likes

Three currently, two Rega’s and a Thorens although only one in use. I had four Technics SL-1210 Mk2 at one point during my mixing days.

Great looking olive setup. What speakers do you use with that?

The Olive is currently driving the Devore O/96 in the main system (from other picture).

I have been building the Olive system slowly over the pandemic to join the LP12 - always wanted to have a Naim system since first hearing it 25 years ago at the Frankfurt High End!

Eventually the Olive will drive my pair of Falcon Ls3/5 Gold Badge which have been sounding amazing even next to the much bigger Devores!

1 Like

Well, I had 2 turntables for a while :slight_smile:

LP12, Rega 78 with Rega 78 cartridge. That’s because I own a few 78s and wanted to listen to them. With the purchase of my first streamer (NDX) I made digital copies and then disposed of the Rega.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.