UK Audio Show 8th 9th October

I was there Saturday, the NAIM/Kudos room was a massive disappointment, just seemed to lack any get up and go never mind PRaT.
A few rooms were fun the NVA guys were getting some good sounds from a modest set up but the leak through from the noisy b’s next door was irksome, and most rooms were just too loud!
The DeVore speakers I’d obviously read about endlessly in Stereophile, they were very pleasingly muscular sounding and direct from a smallish box but I dont think US$ to sterling does them any favours. Came away with a couple of Blue Note LPs and few Shazammed tracks I’ll revisit later, so not a bad afternoon out, advance tickets were free and I only live 10 minutes away, but I’m not sure this an ideal venue.
P.S. Sat in on a demo of Chord Ground Array Ethernet widget, like most I could detect consistent results, different maybe but £550…??

Devore O/96? What amp ran them?

IIRC Hegel.

Shame about the Naim Kudos system. Derek, the main man at Kudos, seems to have the knack of setting up systems at shows so that they sound excellent, disproving completely the theory that shows in hotel bedrooms etc. make poor listening environments.
Possibly the best system I ever heard was his demo when the 808s were first released, using NDS/552/300 passive. Not the highest level of electronics you could choose, but they sounded magical. Proof, perhaps, that successful system building is not just about collecting ever more expensive boxes.

3 Likes

They sell the cables in UK spec, fully compliant with UK regs. Or you can by the SE version with Schuko plugs.

I see that The Audio Consultants do that, which would comply. But then at those prices, I would rather stick with the Naim PowerLines.

The point I was making is that The Audio Consultants also advocate using EU plugs with no fuses and EU sockets / back plates.

DG…

The standard cables are very reasonable priced and available directly from Puritan i believe. Mike Lester (Mr Puritan) is a very straight up chap, i was taking to him at the show about his ground wire and when i explained My electricity supply he told me not to bother with them as they would not have any effect. You can’t help but admire someone who turns down money!

1 Like

I think that the Puritan cables themselves, look very good along with the specs.

The company does appear to have a good ethos, which is good to see.

Also, it is good to see that it is not Puritan who are advocating not to use fuses.

Hope that you get your electrics sorted, whatever the problem is.

DG…

Hi, there is no problem, i use a puritan 156 and some of their cables. I was enquiring about using the groundmaster and as i explained, because of my setup (my supply comes in overhead so i have an earth stake) Mike said i’d get little to no benefit from the groundmaster.

1 Like

I liked the puritan mains filter demo, he had an oscilloscope showing mains crap coming in and then showed what the filter did, it looked very impressive until you looked at what the resolution was set to, what a load off crap and once again trying to rip the audio guy off

I went, was OK, but some of the small rooms just played the music so loud!!

Can you give a bit more detail, thanks.

DG…

I felt a lot of the systems were very bright and would easily lead to listening fatigue

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.