UK Energy Supply

That’s why I said “for example” and referred to nuclear power stations and before that, just “power stations”

I was looking at the wider picture. As I note, so are you.

I know you’re not doing this, but people dismiss renewables with the “But what about the emissions during construction?”. Like they dismiss EVs with “But what if the energy comes from coal?”. They are logical fallacies. Essentially straw-man fallacies.

2 Likes

I’m not doubting gas is a better fuel than coal. Coal generation in this country will
All be shut soon. Carbon capture and storage does not exist yet. Commercial trials still needed to prove technology economics and public acceptance.

Possible. The point I was making is do not assume that the tax on fuel or cars or miles driven when and where will decrease. It will be more expensive than fossil fuels or the current situation.

It must be more expensive than the direct current costs for ICE vehicles. EVs solve just one piece of the puzzle (local emissions and some GHG emissions). They’re currently the least-worst option.

We need housing density, great transit and safe active travel modes to really make a difference. Cheap private car use will just result in more of the same mess we’re in now.

1 Like

I see on the BBC website today that SSE have estimated £300bn to provide 25 million ev charge points and 23 million domestic heat pumps (to replace gas) to enable the UK to meet its zero carbon targets by 2050.

£300bn divided by 30 years = £10 bn pa. = not too difficult.

Don, in the scale of things very little per annum and quite doable.

Do you not think large parts of the UK already have sufficient housing density?

We already have an EV charge point and a heat pump…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: so we’re only looking at 24, 999, 999 installs to go???

Regards

Richard

Some parts like central London are quite dense, but much of the UK is still totally car dependent. Increasing density is a powerful strategy to reduce this.

In what possible scenario is an EV charge point for every 2 or 3 people in the whole of the UK required?

These are the figures give by SSE not me. So I can’t really answer your question winky. Sorry.

I’ve got no intention of abandoning my home on the edge of the country in the UK to relocate in a city the size of London or even a town the size of Reading.

As for the prospect of relocating from a country golf course at Preditor Rdge to (say) North Vancouver with a daily cycle-commute into Vancouver proper … well “on yer bike mate” is the appropriate phrase, I think !

No offense, these unacceptable options are purely arbitrary :sunglasses:

OK, I still have a 60 mile round commute to work, but until Mrs D retired, she virtually lived on the doorstep of her school. Airfields and towns don’t always fit together very easily ! (Vernon and Nelson are a couple of familiar exceptions). Anyway, we can still walk out of our house in the UK and within 100m be on country paths. Go the opposite direction and it’s 300m to the village centre and grocery store.

At Preditor, the walk to the first Tee can’t be more than 50m !

I never said you should. But many people would live closer to city centres if they could afford to. Increasing density allows that. And leaves more space in the country for people like you who like to drive vast distances.

You quoted/repeated them. You never gave them even a cursory examination?

Oh,I gave them a cursory examination. About 23m cars so one charge point per car.

You have obviously given this far more thought,.

There are a lot of people who prefer to live in the country and with modern communications, they can work and interact with others without the need to be squeezed into high density housing.

If too many people chose to live in the country, it wouldn’t be the country. It would be the city.

For very many people, high density is the attraction. It allows for easy access to many great things without being dependent on cars. It’s one reason people are increasingly living in cities. If it’s not for you, fine, but please stop telling me how great you have it out there. I’m really not interested. I know what it’s like to live in small towns, and it’s not for me. Too bloody dull.

I will contribute as I see fit.

One charger per car definitely not needed. three cars could easily work with one charger - my EV only needs charging twice a week on average and with UK average mileage per car around 8000 (160 per week) then many could manage one charge a week

The timing of the above tweet is fortuitous - Tom Callow is someone senior at BP charge master charging network I think so he knows a thing or two about charging EVs