UK Power Edges Toward Renewable s

Yes we do, absolutely; but not fission. Much more engineering research needs to be directed to nuclear fusion power generation.

But given the paucity of current research I doubt that I’ll see it in my lifetime.

1 Like

I was trying to keep it simple, but 100% yes on fusion.
Meanwhile we have no other option other than many more years of fossil in the mix, like or not. Natural gas from UK, fracked out of north sea of fracked from the huge reserves we have under UK landmass, or buying fracked gas from Russia. Its the way it is, nothing more or less.

1 Like

Well, the test was intended to replicate a consistent set of conditions representative of driving on real roads. The software used detected specific circumstances indicating the vehicle wasn’t actually running on a road, and engaged a special ‘emissions test’ set of running parameters, thus bypassing the intent of the test. As such I regard that software as intended to ‘cheat’ the purpose of the test.

Biomass is however, renewable and, as you point out, one component of a broader approach to supplying our energy requirements.

Biomass can only contribute a small volume of what we need, unless we want to import the raw material, which ain’t gonna happen. Then the bottom line is biomass is predominantly burning & its not exactly emissions free

1 Like

Burning trees has a notion of being renewable and carbon neutral. That only becomes harmless if renewable means renewed. This would take a long time, because trees grow slowly.
So here’s a question: is the amount of carbon locked up in the world’s vegetation
a) going up
b) staying the same
c) going down
In the extremely unlikely event that we ever get to a) burning wood could play a part in sustainable power generation.

I would advocate a local approach to energy supply, something along the lines of combined heat and power as seen in Denmark and the Netherlands. Biomass could be a significant contributor, as would fracking. I would like renewed emphasis on nuclear research, but I think at least 2 generations of scientists have been lost in the UK.

Not forgetting UK’s biomass is mostly energy recovery from rubbish, (otherwise it would be landfill material) its still burning tho’

1 Like

Yep. Using biomass that would otherwise be allowed to rot can make sense. Growing it to burn is unlikely to be optimal (there are better ways to “farm” sunlight for energy). And shipping it from North America is just stupid. We need global carbon pricing to prevent that sort of inefficiency.

I am with Xanthe. Sounds like cheating to me. Mike - I would have liked an open minded person such as yourself to referee me when playing rugby - my penalty count would be very have been very much lower…

Some of the landfill biomass will still be around in thousands of years. It will be the subject of an archaeological dig in the year 5000, assuming humans are still around.
Burning it & recovering the energy makes electricity, local heating schemes & useful solid bi-products used in construction & road materials

Think of it however you like, I’m not disagreeing any which way or other. All I’m saying is that after numbers of years working on standards compliance - not car testing I hasten to add - but static diesel engine emissions & refrigerant energy ratings - all I’m saying is the testing standards & the controls & adherence to compliance are not robust enough.

I’m not convinced we have lost two generations, although I can see where you are comming from. Also, it took only about one generation (or even less) to get to Dounreay and the big nuclear stations around the UK.

The main problem as I see it is politics. Waiting for private enterprise to fund the research and the subsequent investment in new Nuclear plants means it won’t happen. Collective UK funding (ie tax) isn’t really on any politicians agenda. Perhaps if we cancelled HS2 and diverted £52bn into fission power for the next 60 years, we could then replace these facilities with next-gen fusion sets ?

In passing, what is the current situation regarding £95 per GWh power station that the French/Chinese were going to build for us ?

1 Like

In the last few days EDF Energy publicised a milestone event over the completion of the base for the reactor, this means its now “out of the ground”.
A spokesman said the “good progress and efficiency improvements” means that the second Hinkley Point C reactor will be completed in June 2020. However don’t hold yer breath, the reactor might be ready but the power plant itself is not due to go on line until 2025
Also keep in mind Hinkley Point C is needed to replace the capacity of old nuk plants that have to be decommissioned in future years.

1 Like

Interesting thought about global carbon pricing.
But carbon credits did not work as it shifted the pollution rather than penalised it. I’m not sure the market has a solution - it exposes weaknesses rather than solves problems (and makes money for the brokers).

Thank you Mike. Good to know it’s still moving forward !

Any views on the idea of using the type of small reactors that RR (?) produce for submarines. Installing them closer to the power user and running small steam turbines to generate local electricity ?

Is this feasible. It is economic. Is it environmentally friendly ?

PS Perhaps Naim could install one in Southampton Road and see if this improves the sound in their new demo room ?

1 Like

Their favourite colour is black Don. They might prefer coal…

Its still a live project, small compact nuk reactors, I’m guessing how they might be untilised, but ideal to compliment CCGT plants as they are already on the NG

Now now children, play nicely please

1 Like

Trees have been planted at a greater rate than harvested for decades now. Forests are a carbon sink, but mostly as the trees grow. Old trees die and burn, that’s the process of natural re-generation. Harvesting and replanting is good policy/economics. In many places, e.g.US south, Chile, South Africa, Brazil, etc. trees are quick growing. Wood, unlike oil is renewable. Pellets can be part of the solution for alternative energy sources, especially in northern climes.