ULEZ/congestion charging - changing cars, or maybe not!

Moi? :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Great isn’t it after we were all advised by a former government that diesel was so much better for us. :man_shrugging: :woman_shrugging: :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m afraid I didn’t believe that bullsh1t at that time* and so stuck with petrol engines, any more than I believed the “you’ll be better off state-pension-wise if you contract out of SERPS” bullsh1t we were being fed twenty/thirty years ago*.

*comes of being a cynical engineer, I suppose.

2 Likes

Easy fix that. Door seals can be repaired or replaced with pattern parts. A full valet and an MoT and you’re go to go. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I do recall, years and years ago, Car magazine interviewing the chief engineer at Fiat who at the time was quoted to the effect that diesel simply couldn’t be the solution because of the local air quality issues. As it turns out….

1 Like

I understand Glasgow has just introduced a ULEZ. The harshest in the country. If wanting to plan around what might happen, maybe that is a guide?

1 Like

I’m glad to see Sierra Cosworth’s are exempt :grin:

1 Like

I don’t think Glasgow is any harsher than other cities. My understanding is that the ratings are set at UK level. Happily both our 20 year old Audi A6 and our 18 year old Audi TT Quattro Turbo comply.

1 Like

Hi all, I believe the mayor of London is being taken to court next month for telling porkies about the ULEZ expansion. Apparently he ordered the new expansion cameras before he had the proper consultation, there are plenty of videos/information about this subject.
There are also videos showing someone taking independent air quality readings around central london and the underground. The WHO say the air quality reading should be less than 10 I think. Central London is about 3 and the London underground is 60 plus. If I have got any of the facts wrong I apologise and I am sure someone will correct me. Many thanks :+1:

1 Like

Crumbs:

So not even a daily charge of some kind in Glasgow! Is this the same in all ULEZ zones? Could have sworn the Sheffield one was a daily charge, maybe not.

£480 for 5th contravention in the same ULEZ zone :scream_cat:

London ULEZ has a daily charge of (IIRC) £12.50, unless the vehicle is compliant.

I suppose it is commendable that Glasgow wants to get rid of every polluting car, rather than it being a money making scheme and with other cities, “Bring your nasty vehicles into our lovely city. It’s OK, we’ll just take loads of money off you!” is a scheme worthy of Ankh-Morpork. (If you know your Pratchett)

Are residents exempt currently? (Checked and Sheffield residents are currently.)

Cardiff’s original plans were to exempt residents when the ‘clean air zone’ is introduced but they are now backtracking and saying residents may have to pay as well (pressure from the devolved government apparently).

Although our current vehicles would be exempt now, if they change these Euro X criteria they might not be in the future.

It’s a horrible tax on those with older cars who are surely likely to be generally poorer or elderly and more reliant on a car.

So is the mayor of London going to ban the underground because of the level of pollution, surely he doesn’t want everyone becoming sick who use the underground.?

3 Likes

Didn’t some fine chaps write a song about it?

“(If you drive a car) I’ll tax the street
(If you try to sit) I’ll tax your seat
(If you get too cold) I’ll tax the heat
(If you take a walk) I’ll tax your feet

'Cause I’m the taxman
Yeah, I’m the taxman”

5 Likes

It’s a bit like the video I linked to in the EV thread - it’s hardly a ‘progressive tax’ when it disadvantages those who can generally least afford to change their vehicles - the poor including many elderly who are reliant on their vehicles for so many things and would not be able to use a bicycle/scooter/skateboard etc!

2 Likes

It’s utterly depressing - if you live in a city and are elderly with poorer mobility and can’t afford a compliant vehicle or ULEZ like charges you’re almost being ‘locked down’ again.

You’ll be tied to your local ‘neighbourhood’ if transport infrastructure is poor, or pretty much to your own house if you can’t get around locally on foot. As we’ve seen such things can have devastating impacts on people’s physical conditioning and mental health.

2 Likes

To my mind it doesn’t matter how much your vehicle pollutes if you pay the clean air tax you can drive right through. Nothing to do with the clean air it’s about the money.
Wonder how many councils up and down the country who have a clean air zone are in financial difficulties. Only my opinion.

4 Likes

I wonder what people do with all their classic cars that are inside a zone. Presumably there will be a lot of second hand cars available very cheaply in these locations.

I wonder if things like “London to Brighton Classic Car run” will eventually stop

“Historic” vehicles are exempt. The Glasgow documentation said 30+ years but others seem to go by the taxation class for Historic which qualifies vehicles built more than 40 years ago.

2 Likes

At least the multitudes of homeless on the streets of Glasgow will have ‘cleaner’ air to breathe. :mask:

1 Like