Ultrasonic Record Cleaners

? Not the ones you get on Amazon or Ebay for cleaning jewelery, glasses, etc

Used a 120khz Degritter designed for cleaning records

Sounds interesting, where from? Any terms to search for? Thanks

I have a ultrasonic cleaner off of Amazon. Very good, but donā€™t put glasses in them, delamination of any coatings will occur.

Have had one for years on recommendation from my optometrist, every day used with glasses, never had a problem

I thought they were OK. But having put my mother in laws specs in there a few years ago, they came out delaminated. I did put them in for 6 minutes though!

You probably didnā€™t break it in properly. Try a linear PSU

1 Like

120 decibels ??

Reallyā€¦

Iā€™ve told you a million times not ā€¦

Degritter is about ā‚¬3000?

I did have a pair of 555s powering it.

3 Likes

They probably unbalanced it. I can go on forever :joy:

1 Like

Ā£2450 I think in uk. I just got one today ex dem for usefully less than that. There is a competitor at Ā£100 or so more, but I like the smaller number of consumables on the degritter - on the competitor; there are wipers, and all sorts of other bits and pieces. Also reviews of the degritter seem better. Have spent years planning this so better be just the thing!

2 Likes

From what I can assess, the Humminguru Kickstarter now has the funds for the first production run.

1 Like

Tim, if you per chance have any records with clicks and pops would you run it through your degritter and let us potential buyers know if it removes all, most, some or none?

1 Like

Blimey - now you are asking. Controlled testing? :grin: you ask a very sensible question, so I will try to remember to do this in the new year and report back.

Here is a review that seemed helpful to me https://theaudiophileman.com/degritter-vinyl-record-cleaning-machine-ultrasonic-review/

3 Likes

I nearly bought an Audiodesk about 5 years ago. I took a couple of records over to the importer near Aldermaston, he cleaned them and we tried them out on the Clearaudio ha had set up at the time. One of those discs was a real stinker bought from Oxfam, side one sounded like frying bacon and put a mat on the stylus of my 17D3 when I tried playing it. After a clean the Clearaudio (with one of their upmarket MM cartridges) played it fine just a couple of pops. I ordered an Audiodesk to pick up a week or so later when the next batch was delivered. When I got home the 17D3 again picked up a mat from that disc, its stylus gets deeper in the groove than just about anything else (but lasts an incredibly long time). I cancelled my order and bought a Transfiguration Proteus with the money. I later managed to clean that dodgy record properly using an enzyme cleaner from nitty gritty and my VPI 16.5.
I now have bought a Degritter, for general unattended cleaning its very good but mould spots still need the VPI to completely shift them and the enzyme cleaner stays in reserve for the worst cases.

2 Likes

The Kickstarter now has nearly 950 backers and the device will include backer requested upgrades. Worth checking out. Google Humminguru.

Thanks for the reminder, I just pledged. Thanks to the lockdowns, I made good progress through my collection with the Chinese model described above, greatly helped by its 6-records-in-one-go feature. And end is in sight now, and for the future the Humminguru looks more helpful to quickly clean one record. And certainly prettier than my monster.

1 Like

Unlocked the second stretch goal with 3 hours to go. Both 7" and 10" adapters incoming.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Iā€™m in the market for one of these Tim, and just happened across the review that seemed to convince you to part with hard earnedā€¦

ā€¦wondered how you were getting in with it? ā€¦.worth the 5x over the Project??

I wondered if anybody had got anywhere with the Kickstarter Competitor?

1 Like