Unable to unscrew transit bolts

My ND555 went back to Naim for repair. I’ve got it back but I’m unable to unscrew the transit bolts. No tool has moved them (pliers, mole grip, adjustable spanner). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Don’t use an impact screwdriver :grin:

1 Like

If I were you I’d speak to the retailer who sent it back for you. I wouldn’t risk anything which might mark the unit in any way.

2 Likes

Get onto your dealer…….something is wrong, let them sort out with Naim. Very disappointing.

3 Likes

I had problems with the transit bolts for my Superline. Finally managed to get one moving, which released the tension on the other one.

Perhaps a stupid suggestion, but be sure to turn them the right way. The manual for the ND555 seems to show the illustration of clockwise rotation for putting them in under the headline “remove transit screws”, but the text says unscrew anti-clockwise…

2 Likes

The tools you’ve listed are tools of last resort to be used when you don’t have the right tool. What is the right tool? Maybe try that.

2 Likes

I’d expect fingers to be the right tool! Maybe some latex gloves for extra grip?

Certainly not Mole grips :scream:

2 Likes

It would always be anti-clockwise looking from underneath.

2 Likes

drlaj

As has been mooted, something is definitely wrong. the transit bolts should easily unscrew by hand - no tools required. Don’t mess further. Take it to a Naim dealer or failing that contact Naim for instructions.

1 Like

True, but the illustration in the ND555 quick manual has the potential to be misleading. I would say it’s not consistent with the headline under which it appears.

In contrast the Superline manual shows the correct anti-clockwise rotation in the illustration on how to remove the transportation screws, as one would expect.

I’ve just checked the quick start guide and it couldn’t be any clearer.

1 Like

Left Hand threads are quite rare…

Never ignore the simple explanation…

The transit bolts need to be done up quite tight otherwise they can very easily undo in transit on the kit with heavy brass weighted sprung boards. It happened in the early days of the 552. IIRC Naim took to taping them with insulation tape as a belt and braces was to try to prevent this. Are they doing this? Maybe they’ve had instances of them coming loose or falling out and are having to do them up tighter these days?

I would advise you to speak to your dealer.

For the Cdx2 the schematic is that :

Are you sure that’s a CDX2 FR?

It looks like a CD555 to me.

3 Likes

I found the schematic on google images : it’s written Cdx2.

You think it’s an error ?

Definitely an error by whatever site posted that image, or perhaps by google images. It’s a CD555. You can see this by the sheer number of transit bolts and the dual Burndy sockets

1 Like

Ok thanks Richard. Google is not always a good friend.
However for this topic it’s still useful, because it shows the direction of unscrewing the bolts. I would be surprised if Naim choose the reverse the direction for the Nd555. Not ?

Yes, unless Naim have changed this recently (unlikely), direction will be the same.

1 Like

A question comes to my mind now. If I buy one day a second hand Nd555 from a UK dealer and carry it in a big suitcase, is it safe to carry it on the vertical plan? Even with the bolts screwed ?

1 Like