Uncomfortably Numb 2022

I hope he wasn’t trying to cancel DG.

Which seems slightly at odds with the opening show credits telling fans who don’t like his politics to f-off to the bar, which is neither kind, or embraces dialogue and is, unfortunately, a representation of the very thing he supposedly opposes.

1 Like

Artists re-imagine their back catalogue all the time, and great songs can take on many different styles and still be great; for example, I love the Scissor Sisters version.

Think RW and DG canceled each other out long ago.

2 Likes

Hmmm! Why did he bother indeed? Quite clearly the intention of the lyrics to portray a true event clash mercilessly with the animation. I think the song has merit, if it had been an original, but it’s not. So it’s a 50/50 from me, but then I have no time for RW and his constant bickerings, after all if it had been up to him there would have been no PF for us to enjoy after 1985, thankfully the other three had a better version of the future!! The end.

2 Likes

Quite like some of it, haunting in parts, but didn’t feel it worked as a coherent whole. I don’t think RW could ever sing well, although it did sometime produce a nice counter to Gilmour’s silky vocals on various PF albums. Of course, advancing years hasn’t helped his singing. I’m glad I’ve heard it, but I doubt I will be rushing to play it again.

Not a fan of RW, but I can see how he would want to include this song in his show.

PF trivia Comfortably Numb first tune Virgin Radio played after the first plane struck the Twin Towers on 9/11.
And RW isnt the only one in the music biz Mark Knopfler is supposed to be a hard man to work with and doesnt suffer fools

Oooh, do tell me more … Fishwives chatting across the garden fence.

1 Like

:thinking:

Jean F. Terry wrote, in 1913, “The Cullercoats fishwife, with her cheerful weather-bronzed face, her short jacket and ample skirts of blue flannel, and her heavily laden “creel” of fish is not only appreciated by the brotherhood of brush and pencil, but is one of the notable sights of the district”.

Cissie and Ada?

2 Likes

I liked the story where Knopfler was asked to play on a Steely Dan track…….used to just doing a couple of takes, they had him trying stuff for days😁

Are they PF backing singers?

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought so…

The album was Gaucho the track ‘Time Out Of Mind’ and the biggest laff was his guitar solo was utterly drowned out in the final mix!

1 Like

Sadly thats classified!

That’s uncomfortably dumb.

It made me smile! I must be of an age! Google them and think Len and Roy over the back fence gossiping about everyone else…the fishwife who would sell the husbands catch around the village/s and so know all the gossip etc.

Les and Roy I think. His out of tune piano was memorable.

1 Like

I flame autocorrect! you are right of course.

1 Like