Underrated albums you want to share with others

Love and Money album “Strange Kind of Love”

4 Likes

Blaze Foley and the Beaver Valley boys. Cold, Cold World. 2006

Plays just like you would imagine looking at the cover.
Rough and ready country blues. Recorded on the hoof.
Although a diamond in the rough. A Gem.

2 Likes

I’ve had a copy of this since its release and think it’s extremely underrated.

Mike Batt and Friends Tarot Suite.

3 Likes

Funny (or not) I was looking at a thread on the Hoffman site this morning about musicians deaths and musicians certainly seemed to have had some.

Blaze Foley met a cruel end and an interesting story about Townes Van Zandt going to exhume the body.

2 Likes

Headhunters is played maybe twice a month and has been for, er, cough, good grief I’m old, years.

A go-to for hifi testing.

Hancock with Miles, Rollins, Shorter, Williams, Getz, Pastorius and more…class act.

4 Likes

Yes I know how could a Bowie album be classed as underrated, The Man Who Sold the World was and still is overlooked by lots of people and imo completely underrated. Great album that imo just gets better and better.

13 Likes

Thanks for posting this Zos93. Following a bit of You Tube homework, I made a purchase so looking forward to some new music shortly.

2 Likes

Ben “Like a Wheel Touching the Ground”

Late 90s Swedish Americana. A wonderfully unpretentious, musical and soulful collection of songs. The lead singer’s voice is rich and mellifluous. The guitars are very forward and the whole thing strays into indie rock territory on occasion.
Wonderful.

1 Like

Brilliant album verging on over the top lunacy but all the better for it.

1 Like

Found a near mint original UK pressing of that album. Great! He was a sideman of Curtis Mayfield.
1975 .

4 Likes

David Bowie. Pin ups.
If we’re going to talk about underrated Bowie albums then this collection of very interesting covers is top of my list.

11 Likes

This prompted me to play Greenslade’s ‘Bedside Manners Are Extra’. Decent, but the playing is perhaps a cut above the tunes. More important, that nice gatefold sleeve suffers because it sits almost next to Gryphon - now their first album really is a classic, ancient instruments and songs, mixed with outstanding musicianship and a desire to avoid taking themselves too seriously.

Gryphon’s later albums are worth a lsiten but the first is a nailed-on classic and has been one of my hi-fi test records since the mid-80s.

IIRC, Gryphon was the first band to have songs from the same album played on R1, R2, R3 and R4 - it was the shawms and rackets that did it, plus the idiosyncratic choices (again) of John Peel. The edges of memory/imagination suggest he played it just before King Crimson’s cover of ‘Bearings (Get Thy)’ - could that be right?

In any event, I am not sure that Gryphon is obscure enough for this thread - but surely Bowie, Magazine, Love and the Stranglers can’t qualify, can they? The albums shown are all wonderful but I played all of them in the last 3 weeks.

If Gryphon is too well-known, can I suggest Holger Czukay’s Full Circle (with Jah Wobble? If you wondered whether any worthwhile music came from Krautrock types by the 1980s - it did.

Finally, I can’t stop typing on this thread without also mentioning ‘Descendants of Smith’. Roy Harper is under-rated generally, but this later album is worth hearing just for the excellent title track and Same Shoes.

4 Likes

Please What`s the artist-album name

G

2 Likes

FFK: " People may say I can’t sing, but no-one can say I didn’t sing".

4 Likes

Yep another great version of the Easybeats Friday on My Mind and Sorrow is brilliant. :+1:

3 Likes

Rainbirds ‘Call Me Easy, Say I’m Strong, Love Me My Way, It Ain’t Wrong’
German band from the late 80’s, love it!
Never heard them mentioned on this forum.

2 Likes

Green Man by Roy Harper too is brilliant and not even on streaming sites

4 Likes

From the pic, it’s LeRoy/Leroy Hutson.
Album’s called Hutson from 1975.

I’d not heard of him, but he has a lengthy discography.

4 Likes

In my library this album is called ‘Garden of Uranium’.

I would add the 1980 album ‘The Unknown Soldier’ which includes Kate Bush and Dave Gilmour.

In fact pretty much every album by Roy Harper could be included in this thread.

9 Likes