Understanding hi-res downloads

I’m a little confused by the terms. There is this, but it says mini toslink. Does that match the Naim optical input?

Sorted thanks, awaiting delivery of mini toslink to toslink.

Yes, that’s the one. Mini Toslink = 3.5mm jack, usually where it’s a dual purpose headphone/optical socket.

1 Like

It’s only taken me almost 5 years to realise the 2014 iMac headphone out out also runs digital… heaven knows why it was dropped for the later Mac’s…

Probably because nobody knew it was there!

1 Like

Apple seem obsessed with removing helpful functionality, took the toslink output off the Apple TV too.

Mike_S,
Apple seem obsessed with removing helpful functionality, took the toslink output off the Apple TV too.

Actually they are obsessed with removing anything that makes it convenient to access content from outside their own walled garden, Apple Music.
Best
David

2 Likes

Yes, limited availibity of downloads is an issue here in New Zealand too.

T-elmi - I have found 7Digital in the UK is an excellent site and downloads work fine. Qobuz also sell hi-res downloads and cheaper if you are a subscriber. I have also used HDTracks. All provide artwork and Qobuz also has booklets on some releases. I found you have to shop around for prices. Some are just a rip-off.
I have now moved to streaming from Qobuz who now offer hi-res on their Studio option (£25 pm) or their Sublime+ (annual subscription) if you have a suitable network. They do a free one month trial.
No more rip-off downloads for me - they are killing the market.

jpa2 - I never found downloading music difficult. I remember downloading a Joe Bonamassa album at one minute past midnight on the day of release and 10 minutes later it was ready on my Serviio media library. But I also have 40 CDs bought for me as presents or from the local record store that have never been played but instead ripped and added to my digital library.

Thank you Paul.

I will limit my purchases of HD to albums I really want to play frequently.

Currently I am using TIDAL as well as ripped CD’s from a Zen Mini for my digital sources.

1 Like

If you’re using a MAC, a very good app on the store for updating FLAC tags/metadata is “Tag Editor”. Simple spreadsheet style editor and will auto-download the metadata it has from various sources to help with the process. I use it for all my downloads so that you can tweak or change the tag info. Very clean.

2 Likes

Hi Mike_S

Optical cables vary quite a bit in quality and eventually you might want to consider upgrading. At one time my front end (apart from my CD player) had an optical cable from my dedicated-to-the-hifi Mac mini to an nDAC and I used a Wireworld Supernova cable. Not cheap but gave a significant improvement in SQ over an off-the-shelf cable bought in a local store.

On download sites, if you listen to classical, several record companies sell HR downloads. Examples include Hyperion, Chandos and Bis. One advantage they have over generalist sites like Qobuz is that the metadata is often vastly superior – they know what a composer is, for example – and requires little further editing.

Roger

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.