Underwhelmed by Roon

Yes of course, thanks Mike.

I stand corrected. I guess I should have said that Roon gives me complete control over all of the tags that Iā€™m interested in. Most of the tags you are referring to in your post I donā€™t use nor care about, so I didnā€™t even know they couldnā€™t be displayed. I can see how that would be frustrating.

However, I look for advice on which to take.

I donā€™t know if qnap or synology

I already know that the xnap 471 would be recommended for Roon.

If there is still a type qnap 451, it could be fine, also because badly going it can always be remedied by supporting a nuc from around 300 ā‚¬ in the future ā€¦

Even synology is not bad, but my orientation is x Roon for a future ā€¦

I have skimmed through most of these replies, and I am a fervent supporter of Roon. Itā€™s not about sound quality, but the unrivalled access to my library. It offers endless surprises.
Returning to the Naim app (for example) is depressing.
Last week I had a visitor and I gave him my IPad, and within a few minutes he was flying through my library and finding what interested him, with no danger of doing any serious damage.
The Overview is a great place to start with a visitor (or for yourself!) to get a handle on just what you have in your collection, and ā€˜Radioā€™ is endlessly entertaining.
By comparison, the Naim app is from the Stone Age.

3 Likes

with a large collection i feel that roon must be the app to have. For now i have only around 600 albums, so the naim app is all i need now.

I think this is a good pointā€¦ I also found with visitors and family that my music collection was largely inaccessible and daunting to navigate with native UPnP clients, or racks and racks of CDs, but has become more intuitive and accessible using Roon. You donā€™t need to be a technical wizard or master librarian now to access my music collection ā€¦ I actually get satisfaction letting friends and family navigate my collection listening and enjoying the music together whilst discussingā€¦ this really didnā€™t happen before I used Roon.

But again i am sure for many this irrelevant or there are better ways of achieving thisā€¦but for me at least it has added enjoyment to my music replay experience, it doesnā€™t need to be a solo affairā€¦ itā€™s about choice and optionsā€¦

3 Likes

Yes I do this a lot with guests and friends.

To add my two pennā€™orth - anyone who doesnā€™t like Roon fine by me. Although my personal opinion is that for the price, it simply isnā€™t even worth discussing. Iā€™m a lifetime subscriber and the sheer thought of going back to a uPnP interface and all those woes, is like trying to figure out which eye to poke out first.

4 Likes

i donā€™t see any woes personally. I click on the album i want to listen to and thatā€™s all i need. No texts, suggestions, other cover albums appearing, critics, full screen of informationsā€¦i donā€™t need when i listen to music.
For people listening to classical music or with several thousand of albums, itā€™s more understandable to have roon, for quickness of search and complex metadata with classical music .

4 Likes

I had 2 trials because I couldnā€™t decide if it was for me. I am now about 2 months in to a 1yr subscription. The jury is out as to whether or not I will be renewing.
The interface is good but I only use 1 endpoint and no streaming services.
Sometimes I find all the info available distracting. Like many here, if Iā€™m playing music, I donā€™t need to ā€˜read all about itā€™.
The ability to fill metadata leaves a little to be desired. I would take a guess that about 15-20% of my 3500 albums need to be corrected as Roon either incorrectly identifies them or they are unknown. The metadata I require is all in place in the respective files but Roon decides to use itā€™s version on the ones it thinks it knows so requires me to go through the offending files and correct.
Like I said the jury is out but if you were to ask me to make a decision now I would say no ā€¦ but that may change as time goes on.

I have to agree that if you are only using Roon for Library ripped music then the worth is probably questionable. Steam with Tidal, Qobuz or both then you are in a different world with a new platform Naim streamer.

1 Like

What make you think Roon distracts you when listening . I donā€™t need to look at it when I listen, but when choosing what to listen it a tool to aid your listening. This is itā€™s purpose, not to distract you when listening. If you do youā€™ve got it all wrong.

2 Likes

i just want to have the album i choosed to appear on the screen, nothing more. I have around 600 albums, so itā€™s not difficult to choose.
I can browse by device ( rips or downloads) or by new albums or by last listened to. For now i donā€™t need more CG.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am up to about 8 times that in music, so trying to use uPnP would be a nightmare. Roon radio is trully awesome for me to experience new music or music Iā€™d forgotton was even on my NAS.

2 Likes

we have all different ways to listen to music. I donā€™t listen to radio, tidal or qobuz. Donā€™t put music if not concentrated on it.
But itā€™s me and i respect and understand why some like roon.
For discovering or learning on music or artists, i use my ipad .

As long as we all discover new music, thats all that matters regardless of preferred choice of finding it. Variety makes the world a better place, be really dull if we just listened to the same genre, artists all the time.

2 Likes

Why would that be dull, if the music is good?

Lifeā€™s just too short for limitations in my opinion there is a world of music to discover and appreciate from all genres and walks of life.

3 Likes

Anyway Iā€™ve discovered three new artists tonight through Roons radio feature that I would have likely never stumbled upon normally. Now added some too my collection for more listening.

1 Like