Uninformed Speculation on Series 100, Series 500 and future New Classic Series Components

This is probably just wishful thining, but I’d like to see Naim simpify their product line-up even further by replacing the SI series and XS-series components with a new set of Series 100 components (DAC/streamer, all-analog preamp, stereo power amp, and power supply upgrade for the DAC/streamer and preamp). Whether these would use a half-width or half-height case is anyone’s guess, though I’m still partial to half-width components. Of course, Naim could simply abandon the more affordable end of the separates market entirely and rely on the Mu-So and Uniti lines to fill that niche. If they do that, then I would at least hope they’d come out with a Uniti power amp to pair with the Uniti Atom headphone edition.

As for the 500 series, I’m not sure there’s a real need for one after the introduction of the 300 series. Perhaps they’ll re-brand everything above the 300 series as Statement components.

As for the New Classic series, I think it’s safe to assume we won’t see an optical disc player or tuner. But perhaps we’ll see a new integrated amp, most likely as part of the 200 series, since I think the 300 series will be reserved for separates.

4 Likes

I want a Statement level Uniti. One box, streamer+amp. $100K US. Take my money.

6 Likes

I think the best you can hope for is a Statement level streamer. Personally, I’m reluctant to spend much more than $5000 on a pure streamer, given that digital gear tends to lose its value much faster than analog gear.

4 Likes

I would almost guarantee the new 500 series is well into development. Manufacturers don’t release lower level lines without knowing first how to make them better.

1 Like

And not too large, with built in Fraim… :wink:

1 Like

100 new Classic Series is better left for last so it can benefit the most from trickled down technology from the new 200/300/500 series, I’ll wait patiently.

2 Likes

I currently have a SN2. I would like a SN4 with 100 watts or more with the new styling.

1 Like

Irrelevant if you buy for sound quality to enjoy playing music.

I don’t have the luxury to avoid cost considerations.

1 Like

I didn’t suggest otherwise, but questioned your declared reasoning for price limiting. If you can’t afford that is quite another matter, but wasn’t what you said!

I think you’re right, value is more important in components that will likely deprecate sooner.

The 500 can’t sell may units so it makes sense for them to do a 100 series, it could be just above the atom level and would work as a gateway drug system to the rest of the range. My kids and friends have no interest in hifi at any level above entry, in most cases below. This would appeal at the lower level audiophiles with the brand values and be a super move for Naim itself. This is probably the biggest market for hifi as well.

1 Like

I predict a NSS666 (One hell of a player for sure) a NAC662 and a NAP600, a true 300 watt mono.

1 Like

A 100 series would have to be shoebox to get me interested.

6 Likes

It is clear to me - that the classic 500 range will eventually be updated - performance is currently pretty damn good - but there is definately room between the 300 and Statement…for the 500 range replacement (600 range). I predict an updated 552 with better volume control and simplified switching and standby modes. The Nap500 … will I think retire in its current guise as its a complex and not that powerful a beast (but does sound fabulous), possibly the Nap350 monoblocks will be developed further … better psu’s even more power etc and of course standby mode. I recon this will occur within the next 18 months…
I think also on the cards soon is a Statement streamer … which will be valuable in terms of pushing the boundaries and product development - particularly since the old ladder dac’s are running out… perhaps there will be a new passive ladder dac (like Linn?? - I might be wrong on this one) …anyway exciting times ahead. I think Steve and his team are doing a superb job …as for the Nait 50 … inspired.

4 Likes

This does not sound like a simplification rather a wishlist.
Claus

:laughing:

The manual will suggest burnin using only a certain song by Iron Maiden.

3 Likes

Burn in not needed

3 Likes

They might detune it slightly to NS665 to avoid upsetting some of the Americans, much as they avoid 4 for the sake of the Asian market. There’s an Enid track that would be a better match in that case.

3 Likes

Don’t disagree……but a new 552/500 would i think push the current Statement and would need replacing or just killed off?