Uninformed Speculation on Series 100, Series 500 and future New Classic Series Components

I think this is where the new Statement streamer … will push the boundaries…allowing Statement to deliver even more…I agree though it is deminishing returns…very exciting times

I am super happy with my setup…if i did anything and if I had the money it would be the Statement Preamp…(which is highly unlikely…!!)

1 Like

Couple that with a new 662 pre…

The only way a Statement streamer makes sense would be if it has a modular design and can be upgraded.

3 Likes

Simplification would be nice even though it feels like they are doing the opposite at the moment. It is a time of transition.

I would re-evaluate the Mu-so products. What are their margins? I think they cheapen the brand and I would discontinue them. Or perhaps re-brand them under the Focal brand.

Uniti/SI/XS: I would combine these into one product line/discontinue the SI and XS amps.

Supernait 3: Replace with a New Classic Supernait, aka Supernait 4.

Statement Nait: New product.

100 series: it would be cool to have a full set of “shoe box” products, including an NPX 100 to replace the Hicap-DR.

200 series: I still think they could use a cheaper NAC 232 dedicated pre-amp to join the NSC 222. I do not think a NPX 200 is necessary if you have NPX 100 and NPX 300.

300 series: seems complete.

500 series: do they really need it? I say discontinue this.

Statement: perfect as-is with NAP/NAC S1.

3 Likes

I think Naim needs to start considering that we are living now in a different time. They can’t get away anymore with charging absolutely over the top prices, but that’s just my opinion :+1:t2:

5 Likes

From what I understand the Mu-so are selling really well, and are a nice entry into Naim. The gateway drug.

One thing I think they should add to the bottom range (100/SI/XS) is a not too expensive standalone streamer. Allowing people to add multiroom to their non-Naim stereo, and then hopefully later they’ll upgrade once the brand has a foothold.

The Uniti range is fully all-in-one, I don’t think it should be combined with any other range.

4 Likes

With a screen!

1 Like

Agreed. I can’t see them cancelling the Mu-so line. And frankly, I’d rather see them expand the Mu-so line to include wireless speakers that can be paired. Though it’s possible that any speakers that are intended to compete with the KEF LS50s would be released under the Focal brand (albeit with Naim electronics).

I could see the product lines breaking down as follows:

Mu-So (all-in-one units with built-in speakers)
Uniti (all-in-one units - just add speakers)
Separates: 100 Series (either half-width or half-height)
200 Series (part of the New Classic Series)
300 Series (part of the New Classic Series)
500 Series (aka the Reference Series - all
components require output power supplies)
Statement Series (if you have to ask, you can’t
afford them)

With the possible exception of a new SuperNAIT integrated, I think the 200 and 300 series are probably complete - which in my opinion is a good thing. I always thought there were a few too many Classic Series components.

Perhaps we’ll also see some kind of “retro classics” series featuring limited edition reissues of vintage Naim components. That’s worked well for McIntosh, and the NAIT 50 seems to be pretty popular.

4 Likes

I pretty much agree with all of your list, though suspect we won’t see a 100 series, and may see a next level Nova with on-board phono stage bridging the precise gap between the current Nova and the 222/250.

The amount of people purchasing Naim indicates you may well be wrong about this, much as I would like it to be true.

.sjb

I think you’re right pricing is a concern - especially because the hi-fi industry needs to bring the young into the fold and not just sell to fifty-something enthusiasts. The old NDX2 was launched not too long ago at £4999, then rose to £5999 and its ‘replacement’ the NSS333 is now £7900. I realise it’s not a direct replacement, but it is the cheapest dedicated streamer/DAC in the new range for those who don’t want a combined streaming pre.

That is a whole different ballgame in terms of affordability at a time when people’s disposable income is being squeezed hugely.

I too would dearly love to see an entire shoebox line at more affordable prices to act as an entry point and feeder into ‘proper’ Naim. I started out with a Nait 1 at £255 (RRP) in 1988 and it began a lifelong love affair with Naim and I’m not alone. It was around double the price of Arcam’s entry level amplifier and was thus a stretch for me, but it wasn’t an impossible stretch. If I was starting out again now I probably couldn’t afford anything but Muso and that to me at least doesn’t quite feel like ‘proper Naim’.

The current entry level Arcam SA10 amplifier starts at £825 athough it’s a whole lot more sophisticated than the old Alpha used to be. I think if Naim could build a shoebox integrated for £1200-£1600 it would sell like hot cakes! More importantly it would be the ‘gateway drug’ for a whole new generation…

Just my take on it.

15 Likes

Rather weirdly I was posting a not dissimilar post a few moments ago , though I think there is scope for a CD player /transport.

Cambridge Audio have just launched one, Cyrus do several , Roksan , Audiolab have transports . Exposure, Rega and Leema all have offerings with digital outputs

I have a CDX2 which was serviced and is now digital output only and sounds superb with my Nova

1 Like

I think that there will be a full NC 500 series and entry level series (nait …) as well.
NAP 550 could be mono as well. Big blocks.
NAC55X …
Would it have a seperate psu only? Would be hard to put in arguments after 300 release. But still think that there is an advantage in separation of the units.
Streamer… hard to say. NSS555 … could keep the numbers - with npx500

Or just build on the Atom line. We have the Atom, Atom HE and the Core already in that design and size.

4 Likes

Not a bad idea. They really ought to build an Atom power amp to pair with the Atom HE.

6 Likes

It seems so, just look at the Nait 50 retail price.
In fact you can get the original at half price newly serviced.
That is apart from all the other obvious competitors
Count me out.

Proof? How do you know? I would really like to know?

Serial number ranges perhaps is a good indicator?

Why not have a look at their annual accounts - they’ll give you a turnover figure which over a number of years would give you a trend :man_shrugging:.

Yes but how much have prices gone up. One year they were not content on putting the price up for the next year but had an exceptional price increase that was due to component shortage if my memory serves me right. Also don’t forget a significant change to the service costs. Also how much of that business moved away from separates to muso, nova etc