UnitCore or not to Uniticore

I did it via portable USB drive because I had over 20,000 tracks already ripped with metadata how I wanted it. I listen to a lot of classical and opera, and the metadata you get from Gracenote, etc. is usually garbage for proper indexing for those genres. So I would end up ripping it in ALAC using iTunes or FLAC using dbPowerAmp or Fidelia and editing the metadata in my computer.

I have heard, but not experienced, that classical metadata sources are be an issue for the Core, too. Maybe Mr. Dane can comment on that.

I used Audirvana for a while to stream uPnP to a MuSo and Nova, but then switched to the attached hard drive so I don’t need the computer on all the time and don’t have to worry about settings on a computer affecting the quality.

It works well for me, but my priorities are fairly specific.

I don’t think this is true currently, but there specific issues about classical music that it’s hard to work round.

Firstly you cannot edit the composer or conductor fields, so although you can search on those fields, you are stuck with what the publisher put in them, which may be correct, incorrect, ambiguous or missing completely.

Secondly it’s hard to handle CDs with more than one composer in any meaningful way.

Thirdly classical music is often re-released in boxed sets, for example celebrating an anniversary of a performer or composer. When you rip those, the metadata returned may be correct for that CD except that it is identified as if it were a single CD normally released on its own. So the metadata is correct, but it identifies it as a normal CD when it’s part of a boxed set or as part of a boxed set when actually what you have is a single CD. But also often you unhelpfully get something hopeless like “The EMI Greats - CD number 37” or “Complete works of Mozart CD number 22”.

And fourthly there is usually a need to edit the metadata because the album name is unhelpful. For example, I always put the composer name first for classical CD rips, but the album title may have the composer name in one of many variations. Eg Mozart, Wolfgang Mozart, Mozart - Wolfgang Amadeus etc. If I can’t find a rip I’m looking for, I have to remember to browse with a different name, eg Franz instead of Schubert.

I think this is good advice.
If you have a PC you can get trial versions of dBpoweramp (for ripping/flexible metadata handling) and AssetUpnP (as a server). If you have no CD on the computer then £25 for external device. An external disk drive 4TB for storing ripped music files (£75) not a NAS. Run it all on the PC and stream over wi-fi.

A good, simple, top quality start.
I purchased dBpoweramp and AssetUPnP on day 1 and am still using them (albeit in a different manner) seven years on.

This is largely irrelevant to the OP as the Musos lack the ability to serve music files from a locally attached USB drive. You only get the very basic folder view from the USB input which is not a great way to browse a music collection.

1 Like

So are you saying that with a USB the browsing is limited or useless ? I mean I can envisage sitting down things I fancy some Keen or maybe some Mozart. And hit play. ?

Would the Core make it a better browsing experience. I don’t really have the interest in having a server on a PC/MAC

Again thanks for the different options and advice. As others have said some have specific needs others quality. Others the movement of grey matter. I don’t mind ripping to USB and plugging in. But it’s the times spent doing it is more costly than the unit.

So are you leaning towards a Core and avoid the USB drive ?

It doesn’t have to be either USB or Core. A NAS will do the job perfectly well. You can’t just like the CD and rip and store it automatically, but you can rip the albums on the computer, edit the metadata and then copy to the nas. To spend on a Core, which is less flexible in terms of metadata and sounds no better, would be rather profligate. I’d expect that the majority of people on here yes a NAS. Once the discs are ripped you don’t need the simplicity of ripping that comes from the Core.

Yes, any UPnP server will give you a better browsing experience than the Muso USB input, even the Core: despite the fact that it runs the most basic ripper and server software ever made its a lot more versatile.

I am happy to rip you a MAC and then store them on anything that runs a SSD. But I want the simplicity of browsing and hitting play without the need of a PC/MAC on. And from what you are saying a NAS gives me that by pointing the MuSOs at the NAS with Naim software. Giving me similar quality plus better metadata.

And the NAS sits near and connected to the router. WiFi to the MuSOs. !!!

[quote=“Richard.Dane, post:14, topic:22535, full:true”]
If you want it really simple for others in the family then a Core make a lot of sense. You just open up the App, feed a CD into the mouth of the Core, and a few minutes later it’s ripped onto the drive and appears in the App, along with the cover art and hopefully some information about the album such as a review. No messing about with computers, no fiddling with files. Anyone can do it. And any editing of metadata or art that may be necessary, you can do on your phone or pad device anytime you like in the background.

For me Richard is bang on the money. The simplicity of the Core is excellent. If the metadata is not there eg, new release CD then adding metadata is very simple. I started out with a NAS which worked fine. I found the constant updates a pain both within DB Poweramp, and the various updates on the NAS itself. Now, I use it to back up my Core.

Everyone is different, there is no right or wrong here. I’m happy to pay for the convenience of the Core. In fact it’s been very reliable and causes me no fuss. Unsung hero….see what i did!!!

2 Likes

Yes, a nas will do that. Just hide it away somewhere and forget about it. You need to ensure you back up your rips somehow, just as you do if you have a Core or any other server.

Unless they are painstakingly placed in a folder structure by artist, album, etc., which allows one to easily find an album. It works fine for me, but I spent a good while building the library for that purpose. So, it could work for the OP, depending. If it is just a couple hundred CDs, that doesn’t sound like a big organizational task. And the album art shows up on the Nova. So it’s in there, but you are correct that the Naim app doesn’t show it.

Don’t forget the Innuos zen mini, at less than half of the price of the Core.
It will rip and store the same way.

2 Likes

@frenchrooster this has put the cat amongst the Pigeons. I like the solution. This is a Naim forum so I guess asking a bunch of stuff on here about the mini is probably not right. But it does connect to the MuSo’s. I am guessing based upon the info in other parts of the community this unit is loved. It looks simple enough and the Naim app UI seems to do a good job. Connected directly to the MuSo? I like the idea of adding a Power Supply later again seems to be subjective and listening is better. thanks for the tip

@frenchrooster another question, if I am not ripping CD’s or streaming any radio service, does the Unit need to be connected to the Router. ie all the ripped CD’s of which there will be around 600 i suspect will be local on the unit. Can i just plug it into a MuSo and leave it unattached until i need to rip ??

The Zen Mini would be my choice if you want an off-the-shelf solution. It’s hugely more versatile and full featured than the Core and it’s half the price.
I understand that you see the appeal of a visually matching Naim branded box, but to my mind it’s an awful lot of money to spend to feed your Musos, and the way all these UPnP servers work is that they just need a wired network connection to your router, so even the ugliest commercial grade NAS can be hidden out of site in a cupboard.

1 Like

In practice, yes, you need a network connection so that the control app can see and control the device. Also when ripping CDs you need an internet connection for metadata retrieval.

It has just to be plugged into the router, or a switch. You can use the Naim app and the app will see the Innuos and all the music inside.
A lot here use Innuos products, from Zen mini to Statement.
You can tap Innuos zen mini in the search part of the forum and you will find a lot of threads on it.
It will work exactly as the Uniticore in your system.

1 Like

I do not want to digress but all servers have problems with classical music (and it is not their fault).
See my earlier topic Changing metadata to improve Classical Music presentation - Streaming Audio - Naim Audio - Community

The relevant point at this early stage is getting something with flexibility like AssetUPnP and dBpoweramp (or MP3TAG which some users like) so you have the ability to manipulate the metadata. Flexibility is key.

I did not understand this when I started out - but I got lucky with my choice of the above.

1 Like

Thank you @Paul_C I probably dont listen to enough classical music for this to be a problem But i will bare it in mind.

If you don’t mind me asking, what NAS do you use HH?