Uniti 1 upgraded and qobuz

I have only used BubbleUPnP server (on Synology NAS) for 16/44 Tidal and local streaming from a NAS, so I don’t know how it will perform with hi-res. Maybe others who have done this will comment?

I use Bubble Server on my main system - I only use the Naim App for iRadio and the Qb.

No issues with streaming 192kHz from local or Qobuz.

I did not know that it would work without the BU-server to stream qobuz without streaming the whole data through the mobile device only by using the BU-app as a controller app.

So the advantages that remain when switching to the BU-server:

• Advancing to the next track will still work if the mobile advice is turned off. The BU-server keeps the playlist and tells the uniti what to play.
  • Transcoding flac to wav on the fly. Yes, this sounds better, comparable to streaming wav instead of flac from your NAS.
  • You can tell the BU-server to downsample highres if your streamer does not support the highest resolutions. But you do not need this with your hardware upgrade in the uniti.
  • I do not know if buffering in the BU-server will bring you a more robust streaming. But maybe it helps.

Thanks you very much Gert for information…
I’ve installed BubbleUpnP SERVER this morning on my Synology Nas
(firstly I’ve updated the java installation to V8)
BU Server seems to works
Bubble Upnp detect BU server
I’ve just began the explorations and settings…

I don’t know if the process to transcode flac to wav correspond to Audio decoding to PCM (FFmpeg)
(BubbleUPnP Server can optionally provide audio decoding to PCM for OpenHome renderers)

If it’s the case I suppose I have to create an OpenHome renderer for may Uniti Renderer.
That’s easy, I’ve found the option…

But at this point the options seems ghosted…
I suspect this is related to my installation
I didn’t already installed ffmpeg binaries with Optware-ng…

The process described in the BU Server web page is difficult for me right now:

The solution is to install ffmpeg binaries using Optware-ng. These binaries fully support all BubbleUPnP Server features:

1. launch a command shell
  2. install Optware-ng corresponding to your hardware, following these instructions
  3. install the ffmpeg package:

ipkg install ffmpeg

1. Restart BubbleUPnP Server to make it automatically pickup Optware-ng’s ffmpeg (requires at least 0.9-update19)

I don’t know how to launch a command shell
I don’t completely understand the “instructions” from Github.com website

If somebody can explain me…
I actually search the solution…

JL

Yes, this is the right setting group for enabling transcoding to wav.

Correct, this is the first step to do in the configurations.

Right, the configuration is ghosted if ffmpeg is not found. You can see this via a log entry in the logfile. Maybe you need to activate the “Log to file” checkbox in the Settings->Advanced tab. But to see the logfile I think you have to log into the NAS console.

What kind of computer are you using? With MacOs or linux you should be able to use the “ssh” command in a console window on your computer. With a windows machine you need another tool. I do not know which one is currently state of the art. I only know a tool named “putty” for this.

With these tools you can log into the NAS as admin. e.g.
ssh admin@mynas
(“mynas” is the name of your NAS or the IP address if the name is not known.)

To be able to log into your NAS via ssh you have to enable ssh in the Synology’s settings. In my german GUI it is called “Terminal & SNMP” where a ssh checkbox is located.

Maybe after logging into your NAS as admin you have to switch to the more powerful root user by typing “sudo -i” followed by enter and again the admin’s password.

I hope this helps a bit?

To read the the BU-server’s logfile you can type on your NAS in the console:

more /var/services/homes/bubbleupnp/appData/BubbleUPnPServer.log.0

While the “more” command is running, you can use:
The space key to see the next page.
“q” to quit the command and get back to the console.
“/” followed by a text, e.g. “ffmpeg”, followed by enter, to search for the next occurrence of the text.

Oh Gert thanks
Perfect
I was reading documentation how to launch the command shell.
I was able to do this on my office NAS (similar to my home) with the telnet command from my PC
So I suppose I can do this at home so I will try to progress…
Now I just have to target the right command for my nas processor from Github specifications…
To be continued…

I don’t remember the process being anything like as fiddly as that - I certainly didn’t have to go anywhere near the CLI to get it working!

Hello ChrisSU,

so transcoding to wav did work with your installation right out of the box? On which system did you install the BUServer? Is it a Synology NAS, too?

Yes, I run it on a Synology NAS. I don’t remember the exact details, as it was a while ago, but there was some discussion on here about transcoding not working on Synology, but it did for me.

Maybe you only need to have another package installed? In 12/2018 there was a media server package update mentioning that ffmpeg would be updated. Because of this I took a look and found 3 ffmpeg versions on my NAS:

/bin/ffmpeg: 2.7.1
/volume1/@appstore/MediaServer/bin/ffmpeg: 3.3.7
ipkg installed ffmpeg: 3.4

So maybe Bubble does check for other ffmpeg programs, too, and not only in /opt/bin/ffmpeg?

Reading this thread, fairly sure moving to Bubblesoft UPnP Server will help… I suspect before, if I understood correctly your Wifi media conversion app was the bottleneck, not your ADSL.

There is mention in the thread of upload speed and latency, I doubt if that will be a problem with your Bubblesoft UPnP server… that only becomes an issue when there is limited network transport memory in your hosts such as direct connections to the first gen Naim streamers. Going via a local proxy will insulate you from this issue.

I dare say you are right, but still, the speed tests the OP posted are both variable, and highly ‘asymmetrical’ so I would nevertheless want to take this up with my ISP.

I honestly wouldn’t, the OP is using ADSL, it looks like ADSL2 /2+ and that upload speed looks pretty normal… and actually quite good from a third party speed test.
Third party speed tests are notoriously unreliable, and cause so much confusion with consumers as there are too many variables that are not broadband related.
The important stats are the synchronisation speeds, that indicates your actual broadband speed in both directions. These will be displayed on your broadband router or modem admin screen. Now if these vary a lot and you have many restarts through the day, then indeed contact your ISP as you may well have a fault with your twisted pair line. But there is nothing to indicate a fault from the OP’s posts.

Fair enough, I was merely surmising that if I consistently get about 1MB up with my paltry 4.5MB down, the OP might reasonably hope for a higher up speed relative to his higher down speeds…but maybe it’s not that simple.
(Point taken about third party speed test apps, I although I think they still still have their place in qiving you a quick idea of what’s happening if things aren’t working.)

Yes there are many different ratios available, and that will be down to the ISP’s product combined with the supporting technology. The sync values are key… and if the modem keeps restarting then that is the sign of an issue, or if your sync speeds are outside what your service providers agreement is with you… note that is sync speed, not internet throughput… that is a whole different ball game… the internet itself is a public network and as such has no performance SLAs, so the only real thing you can do is statistical analysis with like for like and focus on the outsiders.

Thanks Simon. I think in the UK we are used to seeing better ratios than the OP has. :blush:

Hello everyone

Sorry to leave you without news
The progression was strewn with pitfalls

First
This is the situation I have reached.

I installed Bubble Server on my NAS (no problem)
I also installed ffmpeg (in view of transcoding)
The simplest is to:
1- identify its architecture (processor and version of DSM)
2- Download the .spk file from
https://synocommunity.com/package/ffmpeg
in my case DS212, so 5.0 88f628x
3- Manual installation of .spk from the usual web interface

(I can give all the details as needed)
So no need to go through SSH / Telnet
I tried but I ran into problems of access
I’m having trouble logging in as a ROOT user
in short, it’s complicated and I lack basic knowledge

Problem resolution :
I was able to solve my main problem of reading 24/96 and beyond
I stream correctly 24/192 from Qobuz!
EUREKA

By cons I’m not quite sure exactly why.
I have to do tests to deepen and check what I did precisely

In the BUBBLE Upnp options (UpnP section memory) it is possible to enable a proxy for reading
I think that was the solution
Thank you Simon (it was necessary to find the setting in the options BServer / Bupnp …)

TRANSCODING
Miraculously on a local stream (wav 16/44) the control point Bubble Upnp and for a track that I know I was suddenly challenged by a different rendering …
Then looking at the indications Bubble Upnp then displayed ffmpeg wav 44khz!
(the configuration on the moment was I think based on the use of the OpenHome render created for the Uniti reader …)
But I had to work out something and for the moment I could not reproduce that.
And I can not transcode the Qobuz Flac stream in Wav

My determination has no limit.

But the extent of the settings (those of Bubble Server on the NAS, those of Bubble Upnp on the tablet) and finally the fact that I may not have the most recent installation of ffmpeg (I will migrate to DSM 6.0 and install ffmepeg 4.1.11 instead of 3.4.1.9) makes this task much more difficult.

So here is my plan

I did not find on the web a detailed explanation of Bubble Upnp settings
I will ask the Bubbleguum developer if it exists
If necessary I will dissect and the ideal would be to create a small manual (that I am able)

About the Bubble Server / ffmepg
The most interesting explanations are on the application page
https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/
I still have to study and reinforce some basic knowledge.
Improve the installation

I will not fail to give you the return

If it worked for Chris it will have to work for everyone!

to be continued…

Jean-Luc

If the transcode options are not greyed out anymore, the ffmpeg is found and the version should be ok.

You have to enable to create the openhome renderer for your streamer. And the select box „Decode audio to pcm for“ must be set to „all audio formats + constraints below“, so that the formats that the uniti is able to play are also transcoded.

Thanks Gert
This is exactly what I ve tried
But these options are grayed (blocked)

Bubble server and ffmpeg are running

Bubble server seems ready for transcoding :

But as you can see on the folowing image I cannot use the transcoding option for the OpenHome renderer created for my Naim UNITI

My DS212 Nas runs DSM 5.0 -4528

I wanted to update it under 6.0 (in which case I could then consider updating the ffmpeg package … sometimes it comes from there) but (automatically) I have a message that asks me to go from first in 5.2 -5565

I tried in manual to pass in 5.2 -5565 (with the correct .pat downloded) but the installation abort to 22%

I opened a ticket at Synology …