Uniti Atom bookshelf speaker choice

Yes but unitiqute needs a power amp or active speakers though, something like active LS50 speakers is an option I suppose.

If it’s not powerful enough for your speakers, you may need a separate power amp too, or just go for a more powerful Uniti or Superuniti instead. Any of these will cost you less than an Atom.

Why is nothing easy…? Okay this is going to require some more thinking :frowning:
Ho Hum…

I reckon a Unitiqute with Neat Iotas or maybe passive Kef LS50s would be a pretty good small system. Essentially the same functionality as your NDX, but loads smaller.

UnitiQute is self powered by 30W built in amp. I had one before the Atom and loved it. You can access your NAS via the remote, albeit it’s a little more long winded than the app. It drives the Iotas beautifully. I estimate you’ll pick up a good UnitiQute2 for no more than £750, so with the Iotas and a bit of cabling you’re sorted for £1,500. At least £500 less than price of a new Atom. Happy Days!

1 Like

I recently tried a pair of sub £200 Q-Acoustics 3020 speakers on my Atom and was amazed at how good they sounded - ridiculously good, particularly for the price.

1 Like

Actually that’s not a bad idea :wink:

Or even a second hand SuperUniti… they seem readily available for £1600… add the Iotas and I’ve got something which, feature/function wise, isn’t dissimilar to what I have with my NDX.

1 Like

I auditioned the Iotas at home with my UnitiQute2. The audition lasted no more than 5 minutes. I found them really underwhelming, especially the bass. I know they are small, and are reviewed as “remarkable bass for their size,” but at their size the lowest bass produced is closer to a “tick” than a “thud.”

I also auditioned small Totem speakers at home. A little better, but not very much.

This is why home demos are good :slight_smile: We all like different things.

I bought Dynaudio X12’s, long since superseded by X14’s and now even something newer. There are a host of speakers in this size range. Please try to listen at home.

Every room is different which is why a home demo is essential. If you have a room mode that sucks the bass out, and if repositioning doesn’t work they are not the speakers for you. I certainly got more than a tick out of them with the Atom, maybe my room was better suited. The iotas will never reach the depths of a pair of floorstanders as they are so small and can’t move same amount of air, but if you can only accommodate small speakers and you are willing to slightly compromise on the bass then they are great, but if you want hard hitting low bass you will need a larger space to locate the bigger speakers that can move the air to produce it. It’s horses for courses

The more I look into this then, tbh, I’m leaning more and more to a two box setup e.g. a gen 1 ND5 XS and a good integrated amp… maybe an XS2. Comes out at about 2 grand. I mean taking up room wise, if the units are stacked then it’s the same amount of shelf space as an all-in-one.

I admit though I’m still looking at options… the superuniti route is one of the options at the top of the list.

1 Like

I’ve been told about a couple of Atom owners who use a sub with Iotas to great effect. Were it my main system I doubt the bass produced via the Iotas would be sufficient, but for bedroom listening they’re wonderful.

I am a happy Iota owner. I used them for a couple months now paired with the Atom and I can really recommend them for smaller rooms. Sometimes I wish for a little bit more drive on lower volumes, but that’s a tradeoff I’m happy to take for such great bookshelf speakers.
The IsoAcoustics ISO-155 are even recommended by Neat themselves for the Iotas and make a great pair as well.

But as you say, the only thing that I’m really missing sometimes is a little bit more bass when listening to bassy music.
So far I was very reluctant to consider to use them with subs, as I’ve been told that they are difficult to pair (timing??) with subs. Do you know what subs those Iota owners paired them with by any chance?

1 Like

Hi I have just hooked up a pair of PMC DB1+ they sound really nice with my Atom.

1 Like

I now have my Atom driving Harbeth P3esr’s and they sound great. I also have a sub connected and it integrates very well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.