Uniti Atom, Star & Nova - Volume Display: a Totem ‘Poll’

Hands up anyone who would prefer a large radial volume display (see image below) instead of the numeric only display.

Scope creep is allowed :wink:

1 Like

Not me I’m afraid, and I’d much rather have a proper volume knob on the front than that dust trap on the top where you can’t see it from a listening position!

4 Likes

If the display is to be changed I’d like to see it showing album cover and title track/ time data.

I only need to see the volume when I adjust it so it doesn’t really matter if it has a ring round it or not beyond the current display being easier to read from a distance as it’s bigger.

In that case I vote for leave as is.

3 Likes

I think adding the extra detail as shown in the picture would definitely be an improvement
I agree there are multiple changes that could be made to improve / enhance what is already there but this one sounds relatively trivial from a development perspective and would be a nice one to have in a future sw update
Rgds

1 Like

I’d like to see the numerical volume level displayed in the app. Not so bothered about the display screen.

5 Likes

It would be useful to have this on the app rather than the unit
If I am changing volume away from the display I cannot see what number it is at.
Wouldn’t that be better use of resources?

1 Like

I agree with you, volume level should be represented on the App.

1 Like

Leave as is please. Thanks!

1 Like

Agree, volume level on app would be great.

1 Like

As above volume number displayed in the app

1 Like

I am quite happy with the display as it is except that it would be good if track information would wrap as so often the bit you really want to know is off the right hand edge.

Edit: I realise that this is not directly relevant to the volume question but hey!

3 Likes

I agree with most here that how the volume is displayed currently is fine, but that it would be better to have it numerically in the app as well.

What I would like to change on the display is the option to have the artist and track title (and possibly album) to be continuously displayed, instead of only when in (extreme) proximity.

3 Likes

I love the design of the Atom and wouldn’t change anything on it, but have no objections to any of the proposals for the display, provided they are an option I can disable. I really like the knob on top but then I have my Atom sitting next to me on my desk.

However, I do agree with the idea of providing a numerical display in the app. If you use, say, the Lumin app to control the Atom, you do get a numerical display so I guess it wouldn’t be difficult for Naim to implement it in their own app.

Roger

2 Likes

The old streamers allowed you to toggle between a number of different views on the screen. I can’t see why that couldn’t be done on the new screens, which despite being in glorious technicolour, seem to have had their uses somewhat limited to say the least.

3 Likes

I’d leave the display as it is - the large number is nice and easy to see from a distance. I agree with others regarding the app, though - anything that would make it easier to adjust the volume on the Android version would be most welcome.

2 Likes

It surely is a totem pole, not a totem poll?

1 Like

Yes. It’s Totem Pole :wink:
Though this seems more like a ‘Poll’.

I like the idea of lots more visual cues. I think the largest possible numbers on the screen is good, but an option to mirror the segment lights from the top control is inspired. I agree the app volume control needs something - I’d like the large numbers to mirror on the app screen while being adjusted, plus an option to toggle to the widget control with the +/- buttons and the segment light and numeric indicator. Better still, a rotary slider, where you could slide your finger right and left, per the normal slider, but the app would display the large number and the circular segments.

Tons of room for cool UI updates, including way more status and meta data displays on the physical screen while playing tracks, as others have suggested. Your idea should definitely go on the list.

Stay well,
Regards alan

2 Likes

Cheers Alan.

That’s an idea.

As in artist information?
Also may be able to comment on why only BBC radio doesn’t show the artist details? Has this been covered elsewhere?