Uniti Atom WI-FI and sound quality

Hi,

I had Uniti Atom for a while. I use it mostly with Spotify and Tidal accounts via WI-FI network. And sometimes I use external HDD to play FLAC files from my own music library.

A week ago I connected Uniti Atom through WIRED network cable.

And WOW, I was really surprised how the quality changed. The sound became more controlled, detailed and really engaging. Before it was muddy, slow, and I thought it is because my room acoustics. And I can assure you, it is not placebo. I tried some blind tests with my friend, and difference is easy to feel.

Is it normal, that WI-FI network produces worse quality on these devices? I understand that it is not a top level of Naim products. There are devices with isolated circuits, like Nd555 and other Naim separates, which I assume should produce wonderful sound quality for both Wi-Fi and in wired connections.

Also, I understand, that signal path is digital, and in theory there shouldn’t be any sound quality changes in transmitting it. But maybe the changes occur because WI-FI signal module/antenna somehow affects DAC and other Unity circuits. I live in apartment, and there are plenty of WI-FI networks around. My Uniti Atom shows 25 WI-FI networks visible in my room. So maybe it is also somehow related.

Some time ago I’ve read in archived forums, that some people experienced random quality changes in Uniti Atom. I think it could also be related with WI-FI network, because I’ve also noticed random changes in sound quality when used Wi-FI and now – the problem gone away.

Did anybody else notice quality differences compared WI-FI and WIRED network connections for Uniti Atom? And also, why NAIM do not warn about these possible quality differences. I think it should be very important factor for users. For example, I would connect my Uniti to WIRED connection first day I bought it, If I knew that quality is worse through WI-FI.

Very good point. I have an Atom and I wired it about a month or so afterwards instead of WiFi.
I emailed Naim asking if there was a difference. The answer was yes. But marginally.
I think it’s made a big difference. Personally I prefer all wired connections on most devices and use WiFi as little as possible. :+1:t3:

Interesting. Has anyone else felt the difference between wi-fi and wire?

So I assume we should never use WI-FI as transferring path for audio signal. But the problem is, if network cable is disconnected, WI-FI module turns on itself. There is no way to disconnect WI-FI manually.

So if network cable is unplugged, WI-FI module is always working, damaging sound quality. So, for example, if I use USB stick connected to Uniti Atom as a source, and wired network cable is disconnected, audio quality also differs. I did a lot of listening tests, and I can assure it is true. But at the moment I plug wired network cable to Uniti, sound quality comes back.

In my case, I’m very glad that I have ability to connect wired cable to Uniti. But what about the situation if there would not be possible to connect wired cable to Unity?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.