Uniti Core and EMI Classics

Anyone else found that the Core will not rip these CDs?

Can you explain a little more……no metadata, refuses to rip and ejects?

Refuses to rip
Can run overnight and not rip at all
Has been a problem with several box sets
All EMI classics

Not tried ripping a classics box set……perhaps @davidhendon may have a few ideas?

It’s not a problem I have seen. So you put one of these CDs in the Core and nothing happens at all? But if you put a different CD in then it rips as usual? Does the misbehaving CD work ok in a CD player? Did you try a power off restart of the Core?

If it’s seems just to be these particular CDs then they may have had a copy protection system that means the Core doesn’t recognise them as Red Book CDs. In that case the best bet is probably to rip them with a PC and copy them into the downloads folder of the Core.

Best

David

Have looked a bit deeper through our friend Google and it seems that Warner CDs do seem to give some problems on some computer drives

I will try ripping to my MacBook but I am aware that now iTunes is ‘Music’ I may need to open an account to do this

You could install dBpoweramp or another Mac ripping software

2 Likes

If they are copy protected they are not red book cd you are entitled to your money back. Even musicMagpie agreed a second hand cd they sent me which was copy protected……was not a true red book cd. Hope it works out.

1 Like

I found iTunes to be as good as anything for ripping copy protected CDs so that would be my suggestion. Unless it’s changed recently you don’t need a subscription to so this.

At one point EMI used copy protection quite extensively. Is there any indication that copy protection was used?

I’m not sure how I would otherwise tell.
I did rip some of these CDs with my old Mac mini but Apple seem to be making it difficult to use ‘apple music’ as a simple ripping and music management tool
I did find through google a number of posts to various places suggesting that some CD recorders were worse than others and some people had no problem with iTunes
I will have a look at the CDs abd boxes when I get home to see if they are red book standard

This is it, they should have some note that they are copy-protected (if they are), at least it was so in the past when this stupidity was all the rage