Uniti Core and network connection

My server has a SSD fitted for Windows but the music media is on an attached external 2TB USB-powered hard drive.
It runs nothing except windows, windows update, servers and anti-virus.
I have it set to switch off display after x seconds and if you close the lid it “Do Nothing” i.e. it stays on. You have to physically Shut Down to switch it off.
No idea about the energy consumption.
(P.S. I have a solar system so my network, server and equipment probably costs me zero when the solar is working. That’s my excuse.)

If you do not require the ripping functionality of the UnitiCore, I would go for a Raspberry Pi, install Asset or Minim server on it, attach a SSD and spend the remaining 2000 pounds on something else.

1 Like

Thanks for all your input folks. Looks like I’m sticking with what I have. As an added bonus I think I’ll get to keep my wife too - I think one more box on the stack may just send her over the edge….

I asked because Powerline adapters can cause problems not only on devices directly attached to them. They don’t conform to any recognised Ethernet standards and they put high levels of electrical interference on every cable in your house. So it’s possible that they could be causing you problems.

As a test I would suggest that you get a cheap long Cat5e cable and use it to connect your streamer to your router. Turn off all the Powerline stuff, restart everything and see what happens.

1 Like

By all means check it out.
But maybe everything is fine.

I used Ethernet over mains for several years until one unit went pop and caught fire luckily I was at home at the time.

The local TV aerial and satellite chap installed an Ethernet cable outside to the rear of the house and upstairs bedroom I could not believe the difference this made.

No more odd noises through the system plus everything that is hard wired via switches responds quicker a very positive and worthwhile upgrade for £150.00.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.