Uniti Core App - What do you do with music you’ve ripped and you will never want to play again

That seems a very plausible explanation to me. I use ExFalso to edit the metadata of .flac files. If I wanted to edit the metadata of .wav files, I would possibly use a different editor.

Why should Naim invest resources to develop programs for editing metadata? That’s not their core business, there is plenty of good tools available and, as the former Naim support guru you talked to argued, they have no control on what users put into the downloads folder.

I understand that Naim only provides a very simple interface for editing the metadata which are stored in their proprietary database. This is necessary because otherwise users would not be able to manually correct the results of ripping their CDs.

But I would be very surprised if theywould invest significant resources in enhancing their database (and then, necessarily, extend the corresponding metadata editing interface).

I freely do not see any point in using a closed, proprietary format for metadata today: embedded metadata work perfectly fine. They can easily be exchanged and secured without loss of information. Perhaps Naim also do not see that point anymore.

I’m a former computer programmer. It’s true, it’s been lots of years since I wrote code, but I don’t think I’ve forgotten everything. And since I haven’t looked at the Naim code, I probably haven’t thought of everything, particularly any difficulties that different formats might present (WAV, FLAC, AIFF, etc). But with those disclaimers in mind, I disagree that it would be difficult to provide user editing of the Downloads file.

It’s been awhile since I looked at the way the data is arranged in the Music Folder. But whatever form it is in, it is undoubtedly standardized by the Naim ripper in such a way that the Naim editor finds the appropriate information where it is expected to be. In programmer terminology, the ripper will write the data it captures to the appropriate standardized fields. The editor will access those same fields and rewrite to those same fields with the edited information. Elementary, my dear Watson. That part is kindergarten level programming.

To make the Downloads folder editable, much can be borrowed from the ripper code. The programmer would just need to add a user interface which would accept the appropriate data, then interface to the portion of the ripper program that does the writes. Presto, data is in the right format for editing. That part would have to be done on the desktop.

We are now only a few extra lines of code away from making the present editor able to edit either Music Files or Downloads. IMO, it would not take much programmer time to make the Downloads folder just as editable as the Music File.

Janet
Sticking my neck out, I suppose because I fear the different file formats probably add to the complexity.

The Core’s software is actually miles away from being able to support even user-specific tags for rips, let apart editing the metadata of files in the downloads folder. I have freely given up hoping that Naim will significantly improve the Core’s software system but I would be very happy to be proven wrong!

There’s no doubt I’m just wishful thinking. And a little frustrated that it’s going to be harder than it has to be. Oh well. I’m off to check out MinimServer in hopes it will be the answer for me.

It is an excellent software in my view and the developer is very supportive through the MinimServer forum. When I started learning about how to organize and tag a music collection, I found the user guide https://minimserver.com/userguide.html particularly helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.