Uniti core question

My wife and I are thinking about a second home, and of course my mind turns not to curtains and soft furnishings, but to music and streaming. I have a uniti core here in London, which I back up to a WD portable my passport hard drive. If I bought a core for the second property, would I be able to use the WD hard drive as a source to create an identical library of music on the 2nd core? The second home will be quite rural with slow internet speeds, and so I like the idea of local streaming from a new core. Thanks for any advice.

1 Like

Why do you need a Core?
What if you had a NAS at the new property, ripped whatever CD’s you buy when in London on the Core & copied the files over to the NAS.
Huge cost saving.
Second question is, how many CD’s do buy & rip compared to www downloads.

1 Like

Yes no problem. You would simply use your backup to “restore” your music to the second Core. Restore is one of the functions under “Manage Music” in the Core’s settings menu in the Naim app.

Best

David

4 Likes

I am pretty sure one of the nas manufacturer’s has a shared backup where by you rip to your nas at home then it backs upto the nas off site. Would be great for two homes.

1 Like

Hi Mike. I knew when I posted someone would suggest a NAS as a more cost effective option. It’s a pretty even mix of CD rips and downloads. Probably an increasing amount of the latter.

But I am familiar with the core I have and it does what I want so am happy with it, but of course aware that there is a vocal group on the forum saying that a NAS does a more flexible job at much reduced cost. I guess I feel I now have Naim’s download and ripping ecosystem embedded here at home, and so just thought for simplicity sake stay with it elsewhere.

1 Like

Thanks David. Sounds pretty simple then. You could maintain an unlimited number of cores with identical content from a single back up.

1 Like

Hi Badger, OK I understand & hope you find its works well for you.
I have to confess to being one of the NAS vocal group, dyed in the wool NAS fan & dBpoweramp ripper works for me.

1 Like

You could buy two great spec NAS with RAID to prevent against disk failure, Asset and many years cloud storage fees for the price of a core.

Have been thinking about this ourselves - already got one Synology NAS backing up to Google cloud, we would simply need to buy another and link it to same storage account. Any music we add at either site would automatically appear at the other overnight.

1 Like

You could just remove the hdd and sled it sits on and take to your second home and other Core when you are there……it would take a little time to rescan……but by the time you have settled down for the night it would be ready?

1 Like

Good point Gazza. Hadn’t thought of that option. I appreciate the comments and advice everyone.

When i go for a demo at my dealer, i take the sled and hdd so i listen to my actual rips and music.

Mind you. It would be just as simple to unplug my one core and take the whole caboodle.

1 Like

Yes, thats the easiest cheapest option.

My wife will look at me and think I am quite daft. Mind you she would be right.

1 Like

If you did it often though, the HDD or SSD contacts might wear. They aren’t designed for frequent replugging.

Personally I would just buy the extra drive.

Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.