Uniti Core sees no network drives

I’ve had a Uniti Core for a couple of years but have never been able to see network drives on a NAS that’s connected to the same router (via Ethernet) as the Core. I raised support tickets some time back but got no help. I did a firmware update today with a patch that included a change to make network drives visible but still nothing appears.

Has anyone else had this experience with the Core? When I look for network drives or try to back up the Core, nothing is visible on the network. I use a Nova and Atom as players, both of which see both the NAS and Core. I also use other non-Naim devices that also see both servers. From a Windows network browser and from the admin console of the Router (ASUS), I can see all of the devices I’ve mentioned.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Try changing the workgroup name on your NAS to Naim and try to scan again.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Not sure I want to do that as a number of other devices use this NAS… I don’t feel I should have to do that. Is there a specific reason why you think that would work?

I had the same problem with Uniti Core. I changed the name of my workgroup to NAIM in all devices and Core started to show NAS folders. But I’ve noticed one strange thing. Core didn’t see NAS even with NAIM workgroup until I changed network settings on my Win 7 desktop computer! Probably you may leave the name of your workgroup the same and simply put your workgroup name in Core settings but you have to give access to all network folders on your desktop PC. I am not sure but it seems that PC works as a server of a workgroup and it can lock or unlock access between different devices which use microsoft network protocol (PC works as an address router). If you give it once Core will have access to NAS even if your PC is switched off. Also you have to check access settings of the music folders on a NAS. You should give password-free access to all guest users to corresponding NAS music folders.

OK many thanks - I’ll give that a go.

Also look at these files https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/kb/RS2103_QNAP_TS-412_Setup.pdf

These manuals are for old servers (UnitiServe and HDX) but principles are the same.

Make sure your NAS allows SMB1. SMB 2 or 3 will not work.

That’s true for Unitiserve and HDX, but not UnitiCore which is happy with SMB 2 or 3.

Best

David

I’ve made some progress, so many thanks for your help so far. The network shares are now visible but I’m still not able to back up the hard disk on the Core.

I select backup music > configure a new backup. The network shares are now visible. I can select NaimBackup (set up as per the advice in the UnitiServe doc), select backup now but the backup status then shows “No backup store”. I’ve been round that a few times but cannot get a backup to start. The Naim app is so simplistic, it’s impossible to know what’s going on. Re-checking backup status shows no files processed and no backup store.

I’m also not clear whether the other shares (NaimRip and NaimDownloads) recommended in the UnitiServe doc are really relevant for the Core. I’d assumed the rip share would use the NAS as a location to send ripped music to but the app implies it’s a source of ripped music to the Core. I’ve no idea what the download folder is designed to be used for. The last stage in the document says to use the Desktop Client to set up use of the shares, but that client works only with the UnitiServe, not Core so I’m clear what that step was intended to achieve.

If you guys can help me get a backup to NAS working and explain whether I can rip both to the hard disk and NAS, that would be greatly appreciated.

David, that doesn’t accord with my experience. The Core will not find my Synology NAS unless it is on SMB 1.

Regards.

Paul

Steve Harris explains about SMB in this post a few months ago:

Best

David

Hi David,

That’s interesting. I wonder then why I am completely unable to backup until I have enabled SMB1 on my NAS? (Mind you I suppose that has nothing to do with Windows anyway). Oh well, one of life’s mysteries!

Regards.

Paul

Yes - I don’t know why, but if it works for you then I should just be happy about that!

Best

David

Been great to get some useful advice and feedback on this forum. Thanks guys. Can’t help thinking that this is really Naim’s job tho. The hifi side of their equipment is great (hence I keep buying it) but I don’t get the felling they really understand the networking aspects too well. And I’ve never had any joy with their tech support despite many attempts. Is that a common view?

I still can’t backup sadly… despite now seeing the backup share from the Core.

Kenny

Ok now I suggest you power cycle your Core. So turn it off by holding the front panel button for a few seconds, then disconnect the power, leave for a few seconds and then put the power on again. It will restart and once you can see it in your app, have another try at getting the backup to work. Don’t rush it!

Best

David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.