Uniti input settings

With the uniti (I have a star, assume it’s the same for the others), there’s quite a few input settings. What there doesn’t seem to be is an FAQ / good description of what each one does.

Some of the information is available through manuals (sometimes for older devices), so let’s compile a list. Might be nice to move it to the FAQ section of this forum.

Digital:

• Input trim: “Input trim is used to adjust the volume level of the input relative to other inputs. Use this if the source connected to this input is too loud or quiet.” Between -10 and +10, but 10 what? db? percent?
  • Lip sync: Seems to do what it suggests, allows you to delay the sound to get it in sync with your tv. Between 0 and 50. Don’t think it’s milliseconds, so what is it?

Analogue:

• Input trim: Same as above I guess
  • Lip sync: same as above
  • Input sensitivity: Duplicate of trim, just less fine-grained?
  • AV fixed volume: ?? Aren’t most sources fixed volume?

AV Fixed Volume, when selected, means that particular input is then configured for unity gain - meaning it bypasses the volume control and is routed straight to the power amp. It’s for when you want to add say the front L&R output of a suitable AV processor or some Blu-ray/DVD players with onboard processing. The volume control for that input is then handled by the AV processor. Obviously care needs to be taken when selecting AV Fixed Volume…

No further contributions?
If not I’ll see if Naim product support can shed some light on the functions and units and share them here.

I’m pretty sure that the numbers in your questions are not units (dB or %) of anything, but just a way to tell where you are, so +5 is the same as last time you were at +5. And +9 is more…

And lip sync, who cares? It’s adjustable so it appears to be in sync as best you can tell.

I think, but I’m not certain that input sensitivity allows you to make large changes to suit sources with very different output levels. Whereas trim is all about getting the inputs to sound the same level when you switch between them.

Richard has explained the answer to your AV question.
Best
David

I finally got a reply from Naim, so here is my explanation of the settings based on the information from Naim and Richard Dane above:

Digital:

• Input trim: Input trim is used to adjust the volume level of the input relative to other inputs. Use this if the source connected to this input is too loud or quiet. Between -10 and +10 dB.
  • Lip sync: Delay the sound to get it in sync with your TV. Between 0 and 50 milliseconds.

Analogue:

• Input trim: Same as above
  • Lip sync: Same as above
  • Input sensitivity: This is not the same as input trim but similar, the idea is to adjust this depending on what you have running in to that input. A phono stage for example will have a low voltage whereas a CD player will be quite high.
  • AV fixed volume: Configured for unity gain, i.e. it bypasses the volume control and is routed straight to the power amp.
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.