Uniti Nova and PMC

Actually reading this post its very obviously you Nigel

2 Likes

Only you could give that reply lol Welcome back to you, the place has just not been the same, without you. Would you mind if I make an announcement, of your return to the forum?

2 Likes

A nice offer, but no thanks. Slowly slowly.

1 Like

I understand, and respect your wishes. Once again, welcome back and hope you have been keeping well. I have seen your contributions on PFM.

1 Like

Nice to have you back HH!

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!
Yesterday I sold my PMC Twenty 5.26 speakers and now I have considered buying Dynaudio Contour 20i speakers with Dynaudio stand 20 legs. Iā€™ve been listening to these similar speakers with a few fellow enthusiasts and I fell in love with their dynamic and airy sound. Do you believe that this pair of Uniti Nova and Dynaudio Contour 20i would be a good pair together?

Itā€™s not a combination Iā€™ve heard so cannot comment objectively. As your room is large and as youā€™ve been happy with the sound of your 26s, Iā€™d suggest trying some 23is and comparing with the Dynaudios in your room would be a very good idea. Donā€™t worry about what your fellow enthusiasts may think. Itā€™s your ears, your room and your money.

3 Likes

Thanks a lotšŸ‘ŒšŸ»Iā€™ll post a comment a week after Iā€™ve tested these options.

1 Like

Welcome, look forward to your contributionsā€¦

1 Like

Welcome back Nigel.

1 Like

You are, of course, completely correct. There is nothing specifically that makes my view any more valid. Ultimately, people should make their decisions based on what they firmly believe and not be under pressure to go with conventional wisdom (which two words Iā€™d also agree with anyone who thought they comprised an oxymoron) or take any specific poster as being some kind of oracle.

Until you hear what a high quality high-power amplifier can do to inefficient speakers like PMC (25.21/23/26) or Dynaudio or Morel and others, youā€™re just missing out.

I do love the Naim sound, itā€™s addictive and puts a smile on my face every time I get to listen to my music.

But driving 25.26 or Dyns with 80W and calling it magic is just not knowing any better.

In Naim amps though the next meaningful jump in power is the NAP500. You need an enourmouse increase in power for each additional db of output. Both the 250 and 300 are mildly more powerful.

But they have no problem driving those speakers more because they are better amps. If power were what was really lacking, then the minimum for the 26s would be Naim 500 system and thatā€™s just not the case.

Eh? I havenā€™t used the word magic to describe anything and Iā€™m not sure pmc marketing department would be keen to rule out using their 25.26 speakers with any amp below what you say is needed to avoid missing out or tell anyone who does so that they donā€™t know any better!

1 Like

The Nova and indeed the nap200 have no problem driving these speakers either, those who say otherwise are guessing or have not heard the less expensive amps with 25/26ā€™s

Sure. I mean, my UQ2 drives my PMC Twenty5.23s perfectly fine. Though some dispute that. OTOH, they sound much better on the 282/250. And if someone had the budget for a a UQ2/23s, the same money would build a better sounding system with a slightly lesser speaker and a slightly better amp.

The same goes here. For the price of a Nova+26s, the OP could do ND5XS2+NaitXS3+23s.

Now, where a person thinks a mullet begins and ends is totally a matter of debate. If someone prefers 26s on a Nova compared to a better source and amp and lesser speaker, Iā€™m not going to argue with that. Itā€™s their money after all.

But as for ā€œdowngrade to upgradeā€, Iā€™ve just experienced it too many times. At shows, when they stick an Atom on the pair of $10k speakers and people are blown away, itā€™s the visual impact of the little amp and the high end speakers. But you can totally get a better sound for less money with a more compatible match. If someone thinks thatā€™s a load of rubbish, Iā€™m totally okay with that though.

4 Likes

@Jugi007_Finland May I suggest you add a Powerline to the Nova or an equivalent decent power cable. You may wish to experiment with speaker cable to ā€œupgradeā€. You will see from the above that there is debate about whether the Nova ā€œcanā€ or ā€œshouldā€ or ā€œis able to optimallyā€ drive these speakers. If I were you, I would take your time, listen to the music and only after months (or years) of consideration, should you either upgrade your source/amp or make a speaker change - on the back of your own listening experience and conclusions. You have a great system, enjoy it!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I have an IsoTek Premier EVO3 power cable in the amp. I just sold the PMC speakers and bought Dynaudio Contour 20i speakers and Dynaudio Stand 20 stands for them instead. I ended up here based on several recommendations because it was said that this connection is one of the best that you can have with Naim Uniti Nova. Now I drive the speakers in and get used to the new sound.

2 Likes

Enjoy!

1 Like

20 Likes