Uniti Nova and PMC

I was pretty much sold on the 21s, but thought I should try the 23s, but when I asked my dealer they were very much against it, mainly because of how near they need to be to the wall. I therefore never got to try the current model, though I’ve had the original twenty.23 in the past.

My wife is very tolerant of speakers and we have had all sorts. I have to say that the PMC stands are very black and chunky, but at least you can run the cables through the rear column and out through the baseplate, which is a nice feature. There is a lot less wood with the 21s, so they are less imposing overall.

I borrowed piano black 21s for the home dem. They were three years old and the shop demonstrators, which will have a harder life than one’s own, but they were absolutely covered in scratches, so unless you treat them with kid gloves, they will scratch through dusting. It came down to oak vs walnut, and as we had oak before we through it would make a change. It also gives less of a contrast between the wood and the grille and stand. The walnut may be worth a look, if you are up for adventure!

2 Likes

I believe the Amarone (red stained walnut) although discontinued, is still available on special request as it’s made for the Asian markets where rosewoodish speakers are the goto finish over walnut.

If that’s your thing. It might not be. I’ve had three pairs of PMCs in amarone to please Mrs.FZ and they do look striking.

1 Like

That’s interesting that your dealer raised a level of caution with the 23’s, regarding distance to the rear wall, which is also another issue or constraint I have, due to room layout my speakers fire across the room, a good 1m clear of the corners but due to having two doorways along the same wall I need to keep them close to the wall otherwise they would become an obstruction and are likely to get knocked, which I wouldn’t want to have happen.

My wife has been very, very tolerant over the years so I think its only reasonable to work within her guidelines. Shame the 23’s need more room as she has seen those and liked them a lot, guessing due to their smaller size. If I thought it practical I could pull them out more into the room during my listening sessions, then move them back after, I only listen when the wife is out as she shares no interest in music, apart from the Sonos in the kitchen.

I have started to attend listening sessions, heard the 21’s twice now, tried the Spendor 3/1 which I enjoyed, obvious problems both stand mounters and the Spendors only come in walnut or cherry.

I feel now that the massive change with the addition of the hearing aids really means I need to start again.

To be honest if a stand mounters is the best option I’m sure my wife would come round with a suitable stand, limiting it too floor standing speakers will seriously impact on choice.

As you can tell I’m in a bit of a quandary.

It’s possible it was just their way of stopping me fannying around and getting me to make a decision! They know me too well. When I had 23s with a SuperUniti in the past, I used them very close to the wall and they were fine, so please don’t let my comments put you off.

If you live anywhere near sunny Emsworth, you and Mrs Silverback would be most welcome, and you can see how the speakers look and sound in situ.

2 Likes

I had to smile at the first line of your reply :joy: as my wife always complains that I over think everything, men and their hifi.

Many thanks for the kind offer, it looks like you live in a lovely part of the uk, unfortunately some considerable distance from our location in Staffordshire but many thanks.

I have a close friend who mirrors me totally ,said, “why do we put ourselves through it every time we want to purchase anything” , I guess the worst case scenario is you buy a pair, live with them for 6 months if they don’t work move them on, seems simple when you think of it in those terms, Mrs Silverback follows that rule with her wardrobe, except she doesn’t move things on! :smile:

1 Like

I ran the PMC Twenyty5.23’s for a number of years with a Nova, in my experience they don’t require a lot of room behind them, about 200mm is fine.

1 Like

Just in case it helps, here is a picture of the 21s in our room, which is 4.5m long and 3.6m wide, with the speakers on the longer wall. The Nova lives on the lower shelf of the little table in the corner.

The room is not large, and while floorstanders work fine - we’ve had Naim SL2s, which are considerably larger - the stand mounts give more of a feeling of space, as the stands are so much thinner than speaker cabinets, though the floor area occupied is obviously the same. The walnut looks I think, despite everything else being light. You can have too much oak. See what Mrs Silverback thinks.

7 Likes

Lovely room layout, looks very nicely proportioned, very similar to our own, thanks for taking the time to upload the images.

Just quickly grabbed a shot of the current layout, excuse the tv image, Mrs Silverback in the middle of one of her programmes!

My friends twenty 21’s in situ, plan to change the tv soon, that’s another quandary but we will leave that but it will free up a little more room as the new set will be smallish, yes I know not ideal setup and I have tried a blanket over the screen when listening but didn’t seem to make any difference.

I also use Twenty5.23s. I find them to be pretty tolerant of positioning. Mine are close to a rear wall (10cm ish) and also fairly tight against other furniture in the room. I’ve tried to make sure that there is a direct line out from the speakers and also the transmission lines. The right hand transmission line fires under the chair to the right for the first 10-15 cm if the chair has been moved out a bit.

Whilst I now use them with new classic boxes I have used them with a Nova in earlier times and was very happy with how they sounded.

4 Likes

With that layout, floorstanders look considerably better to me, and give a nicer balance. Presumably they are some 23s that you borrowed. I suspect it’s because you have the cabinet and the large TV, which make the 21s look undersized.

The first image is with my current twenty 26’s think they measure a little wider and taller than the 23’s but not a massive difference in size to be honest.

As you pointed out the 21’s do look a little lost in comparison but after awhile I think you could become accustomed to them, I think a smaller tv may help, we will see, if I can ever make up my mind on which model to choose :joy:

1 Like

Just from the outfield and I am not trying to add to the problem. Have you looked at Neat Motive SX2s. A bit smaller but still floorstanders and they are happy up against a wall.

Hi, I have considered trying Neat, many find their synergy with Naim products very good and I do have a Neat dealer very close, more bloody options, will it never end :joy:

He also sells Kudos, dont think the grey matter can take much more.

1 Like

I have Twenty5.23s on the end of a Nova, room’s about 4.3m x 4m, they’re 30cm away from the wall. (The room is very sonically bright, French doors and a picture window in one wall, leather suite, glass table and art glass, the only damping is the rug.) They sound excellent to me.

6 Likes

Those metal bars look so much better than the MDF plinths of old. Very stylish.

1 Like

I’ve heard these and they are a great pairing.

How about mounting the tv on the wall? It moves it back and will give speakers more room to breathe.

I do have a wall mount just ideal but Mrs Silverback said she preferred it on the unit, just to add, have updated the tv which is slightly smaller and sits back more but can’t say I have noticed any difference in the sound to be honest.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.