Uniti Nova Buzz

I would change your bell wire to a better quality speaker wire. Generally 10-15% of the overall cost of a system should go on cables /interconnects

Your cable spend isn’t getting the best out of your quality amplification/streamer/speakers

@ywcahello suggest not to give up on naim but experiment a bit. Before fellow members kill me, this is just an experiment to see what helps. Not meant to be a permanent solution other than idea 1 - braided speaker cable.

1. Twisted cable / braided cables such as kimber kable. I had made DIY VanHaus speaker cable out of re-braiding of individual strains from cat5 cables.
  2. Get some 4 core mic cable and arrange in star configuration. Not saying they are speaker cables or permanent solution but might be a cost effective experiment.
  3. In addition to idea 2. many mic cables come with foil or braided shield. Ground the shield on amp end see if that helps. This means connecting shield to the -ve terminal / black speaker terminal. Don’t connect the other end of the shield to speaker terminal.
  4. You could even try ferrite core but that is not recommended because of SQ effect. Otherwise try Audioquest RFI traps but they are not cheap experiments.

Some naim equipment are sensitive to the kind of cable being used and it can cause unit to run hot. You want to watch out for that. If you are not savvy with electrical wire, don’t try it and risk shorting out the amp. All the best.

@ywcahello have you tried taking the Nova, speakers, and cables to a different location, preferably well away from the radio tower?

It maybe the only way to ascertain that it’s not the gear. I have a feeling it’s the towers proximity to your house that’s causing the problem. If that’s the case you’ll have to contact the FCC and whoever owns the tower. I’d probably also ask your neighbors if anyone else has problems.

Beyond trying the system elsewhere not sure what else to suggest. But until you can figure out what’s exactly causing the problem it’s going to be hard to know what or how to fix it.

@ywcahello - I’ve run the issue past Naim R&D. They have made some observations and suggestions as follows;

Firstly, note that RF is a tricky one, so the only real option is experimentation to find a fix.

Two things struck immediately:

You say the noise is independent of the volume and input settings, And the speaker cables are 4-5 feet each.

The first suggests that the effect is being created in the power amp section. The second that the cables are very short, so the inductance on the amp output will be very low. Remember, we recommend 3.5m (11.5 feet) as a minimum to ensure there’s a minimum amount of inductance in the cables.

While the speaker cable isn’t very “exotic” it does have a pretty good cross-sectional area (12awg is about 3.5mm2), and is a nice simple construction, so the first thing to try is to get a much longer set and have play with them. About 6 or 8 metres (20-25 feet) each would be a good place to start. Trail the cables randomly across the floor from the nova to the speakers and see if that has affected the buzzing noise. Then move them around, listening for differences in the noise (or maybe no noise). If the noise level is variable as the cables are moved then they are definitely acting as the aerials for the RF – probably from the local transmitter.

Since these cables are much longer than you need, the excess could be wound into a tight coil (say 6-8 inches diameter - you’ll need some kind of cable ties to keep it together), near the nova speaker sockets, which will artificially increase the inductance of the cables to limit the RF pickup.

There isn’t much else worth trying until that test has been done to confirm the problem is from RF pick-up. Opus’ suggestion to find out who’s running the mast is a good one, there maybe an extra transmission which is relevant.

Hope something there helps, if not we’ll wait till he’s tried a few more things.

I might also add a suggestion to see whether your dealer can assist as well - especially with the longer speaker cabling - NACA5 or similar would be ideal but i guess even good old (and cheap) 79 strand would do the trick, at least from an experimentation point of view.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I am curious about the speaker cable length. When I put the cable in a configuration so that it has a bit of a loop to it, it does seem to help. I will give this a shot.

I was also put in touch with Robert B. (sparing his name from public view, happy to DM it to you) at Naim via my local shop. He’s US based so I think that’s why I was directed to him. Fingers crossed.

I did. When taking the unit to my local shop, it was fine. Other rooms in my home: same problem.

So, I think my unit is “fine”, it’s just a matter of this particular model being more touchy than other makes.

Will ask around the neighborhood, though not familiar with any other audiophiles, yet.

I have an electrical engineering background which doesn’t make me the expert here (I wouldn’t be having problems if I were) but I have a hard time understanding the value of expensive speaker cables from a scientific point of view. ABX tests seem to confirm the same, from what I’ve read. But, I have an open mind. Is there anything reference you can provide that shows more expensive speaker cables proving better in an ABX test or similar?

Thanks for all of the tips here! Seems like the next rabbit hole I may find myself in.

1 Like

Happy tweaking & experimenting! :slight_smile:

Try it from a non scientific base . Get some halfway decent cables against the bell wire and hear the difference .

People on this forum have done masses of straight A/ B tests . The normal theory is that you spend 10-15 % of your system on interconnects and platforms .

I always explain it thus, expensive cables do not add to the sound but do you think cheap cabling transmits all the signal between amp and speakers or amp and source. You want as much of the signal getting through as possible and yes wire does have a subtle sonic signature

There is a reason people spend that money. Years ago when I switched toNaim I had some rather nice thick gold plated RCA cables left over which I gave to a friend.

He had made the same comment you did , and owned a very very humble two box mini system. The following day he told me he hadn’t believed me and had now totally changed his mind.

Wanted to provide my findings before this thread closes out.

So, it’s become pretty evident that I have some RF issues in my area that are coming from outside of the house. It’s also apparent that the Uniti Nova is more sensitive to them than other amps (the Atom is less sensitive, NAD C series didn’t have any issue at all).

I’ve found that using a longer length of speaker wire (4 meters versus 1.5 meters) does reduce the buzzing level enough that it isn’t noticeable unless you are really listening for it and within three or so feet of the speaker.

I also found that leaving the excess wire on one side of the room (versus the other) seems to help. I suspect that part of the room has more RF, and leaving the bulk of the wire in a lower-RF zone effectively reduces the reception of the noise.

Type of wire did not seem to make any difference. I tested NACA5, 12 AWG monoprice wiring, and another brand that I’ve forgotten (but can be found higher up in this thread).

Best of luck to all others that have this issue! And thanks to everyone for the support.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.