Uniti Nova for highish end vinyl

Good point. I think we have an old iPad that we can use. Thanks for the reminder.

The iPad has to have IOS 9.3 or later.

Best

David

Then you may not need the screen, I was wondering why it was important. I usually set mine to off during replay and with the recent app updates I donā€™t even need to use it to do that.
Doesnā€™t mean you shouldnā€™t listen to a Nova but do report back if you compare it to an ND5xs/(S)Nait*

The screen is important as we are trying not to use mobile or electronic devices as they invade peopleā€™s lives far too much. If we are listening to a playlist we donā€™t need to pick up the iPad again and if we want to know what album is playing we can see from the screen on the Nova. Or am I missing something about the Nova as I have only had a two brief demos lasting 60 minutes? Thanks

The logic is that if you use multiroom, all inputs, including analogue inputs, can be multiroomed to other Naim streamers, which is certainly a feature request that has been aired here in the past.
One might also speculate that having just a single input into the analogue preamp section simplifies the signal path, which might even, for all we know, have sound quality advantages, especially in a very full box of tricks like the Unitis.

1 Like

And for those of us who donā€™t need multiroom Naim should have a bypass switch as the NAD does.

1 Like

That assumes that there is a sound quality benefit to having such a switch adding an avoidable extra stage to the signal path. It also adds to the cost, and in an all-in-one box, takes up space that is, to put it mildly, at a premium. But sure, if the NAD box sounds better with vinyl and that is your priority, go for it.

I never said that the Nad sounded better just that Nad have a bypass switch. I would have thought that Naim would have been able to do likewise as there seems to be a lot of space in this unit. But hey I havenā€™t heard it on analogue yet.

You really need an ipad or decent smart phone to setup and control the Nova, thereā€™s not a lot you can do with the remote alone if you want to stream or use the iradio

And itā€™s really the new way to use hifiā€¦ when you have used it you canā€™t go back. :grinning:

I live with Uniti Star for a few months now and I CAN go back to remote-only. :grinning:
At least once a week I Must because otherwise Uniti does not recognize an external 8TB USB hard drive. And I am trying to avoid hard shutdowns to reset it

I am not going to comment on Uniti Star vinyl replay because my experience is opposite to the one expressed by The Community: something must be wrong with my hearing or my setup!!!

Even a flip phone, a government can spy on you even when a device is turned off, btw.
I have a very limited usage of smart phone ( out of town emails, security system, etc ) but 99% of time what I use is this. ( and an extra one for a spare ) :kissing_smiling_eyes:
480530-main-alcatel-goflip-1

Can you use a non iOS on Nova?

Though Gearbox Records do release CDā€™s they are dedicated to AAA vinyl releases and have an all valve mastering suite which they use for ā€˜specialā€™ releases. Iā€™m sure there are others out there, our very own Kevsterā€™s release of Up In Smoke by Ese & The Voodu People was recorded in AAA and may have actually been done by Gearbox although without looking at my copy Iā€™m not 100%.

I presume you must have wifi to operate a Nova so therefore you could buy and old iPad and use it just as a remote control.

Would be really interested to know your vinyl replay experience on Star. Also please let us know that T/T. Thanks

Yes - I use Android phone and tablet and itā€™s fine for all control purposes. Forcing me to use an Apple device would be a deal breaker for me.

3 Likes

The problem with Gearbox is their performance choices on titles I have sampled so far. The best AAA executions I have heard are from Music Matters reissue series. But those types of productions are few and far between unfortunately.

No-one can spy on you if your smartphone or flip phone or any other sort of phone is switched off, unless they have actually installed some special firmware on it, which requires physical access to your phone. Itā€™s an urban myth that the US Government can spy on a phone thatā€™s switched off.

You can use the Naim android app to control your Nova, but the IOS app is better.

Best

David

1 Like

And quadruple the cost

Arenā€™t Google more known for spying than Apple?